Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving servers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's two things a tech likes to hear!

FYI: I usually do server maintainance on Sunday around noon GMT; this server is shadowed across a XEN pool but not clustered yet so it might get a reboot to apply patches where essential. It's not often as its behind IDS and L7 firewalls but still, sometimes it'll needs a kick!

I noticed some odd things after the move.

Like some previously uploaded images seemed to disappear.

(like in this post: Tesla Motors Club Forum - View Single Post - Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks )

And clicking on the "permalink" links frequently takes me someplace unexpected.

I think I have the url sorted; but the image management doesn't seem right.

I'm unable to upload an avatar image; don't know if that had issues before. Could you weigh in on that?

Thanks.

That last time dsacks6 moved servers, the Avatar upload broke, and after a while he got it working again. I think it turned out to be some sort of folder permissions issue or something like that.

Did the site move onto 'Planet Tesla' servers now?
MPT='Moderator from Planet Tesla' in NJ?

It seems like a permission issue; vB uses the DB for image storage... and the file system and anywhere else it seems to fancy.

All existing avatars appear to be ok; I think that the problems that D had were to do with the DB loosing pointers to the files.

...Still working on it...

MPT=Michael Paul Thwaite; PlanetTesla.com is the next server over though.

Updated: 15:50EST

Fixed:

Image upload.
Attachment display.

1. Membership sort order; the sort order doesn't reverse properly.
It's an issue around vbSEO; there's some similar problems reported by others at vbSEO forum.
Temp. work-around is to sort by posts then hit 'Last'.

Still outstanding:

2. Mod. issue; Moving posts to another forum; the destination url is accepted in vbSEO optimised format; no work around yet.

Keep letting me know if you see anything else

Last edited:
FYI: We've been working on a merger with Planet Tesla for some time now, but have been taking it slow and some details are still being worked out. The main goal for us is to increase the stability and reliability of the TMC forum, though there may eventually be some other changes as well.

Doug and other Admins,

Fantastic job with the forum; thanks for taking the time. I have no doubt I'll be driving an EV shortly (EV market permitting and does not tank for whatever reason).