Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

accident with cyclist in Santa Cruz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounded like it had more to do with a driver not paying attention than anything else.
came upon the scene and found the driver of the Tesla getting out of his car holding a cellphone.All three cyclists told the CHP they think the driver was using the phone at the time of the crash.
The CHP said the Tesla was headed northbound on the two-lane section of the highway when it swerved into oncoming traffic. To avoid hitting a car, the Tesla's driver went up and down the dirt embankment before striking the cyclist, witnesses said.

The area where this happened is a wide open 4 lane highway. The guy was distracted and made a huge mistake. Pretty tragic.

Edit: Sorry. It was right after the 1 goes from 4 lanes down to 2, and right before it goes back up to 3. Still, it's completely straight.
Google Maps

I'm interested to know how Model S compares to other performance cars in terms of the overall vehicular manslaughter rate of its drivers. This could be as much of an issue as the fires, and knowing if the Model S is prone to more dangerous accidents (for other people) than are comparable cars would be useful to know.

As I said in another thread I would like a pedestrians and obstacles detection system (it works also for cyclists of course) be implemented on the Model S. Now I don't know exactly the circumstances of this accident but maybe that such a sysyem would have helped in this case.

As I said in another thread I would like a pedestrians and obstacles detection system (it works also for cyclists of course) be implemented on the Model S. Now I don't know exactly the circumstances of this accident but maybe that such a sysyem would have helped in this case.
Seriously doubt it.
Video report: Cyclist struck and killed on Highway One | Local News - Home

Sounds like he drifted out of his lane and then over corrected.

Volvo pedestrians and cyclists detection system

Here it's shown approximately hot the Volvo pedestrians and cyclists detection system works. Imo it would be a good idea to implement it also on the Model S.

Volvo-Cyclist-Detection.jpg
images.jpg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,835
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 2,848

I have a Mobileye system in my Model S that detects pedestrians and cyclists, but it would not have helped in this case. My Porsche Panamera S Hybrid has a pop-up hood system which lifts the hood (on the windshield edge) if stuck by a pedestrian. It prevents a person from hitting the windshield directly. It may have helped in this case, since the report said that the windshield was smashed.

I would like to add that this system also activates the brakes automatically in case of detection of obstacles. In this case, since the accident started because the driver tried to avoid another car, IMO it would have helped because it would have stopped the car before that the driver turned the steer.

Last edited:
Why was he holding the phone? The car has a perfectly good bluetooth capability. And voice command dialing. Yes it is still a distraction but you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

From the description of the accident, he was fully out of control before he came anywhere near the bicycle riders. So a detection system would have no value.

You are right. In this case it was necessary to activate automatically the brakes and stop the car. The above mentioned Volvo pedestrians and obstacles detection system does it in emergency situation of this kind.

The guy was already up an embankment and coming back down when he hit the pedestrian. The car was completely out of control, and he was on the grass so very little traction. He probably already had the brake pedal pinned to the floor. I doubt any such system would help in this case.

I'm interested to know how Model S compares to other performance cars in terms of the overall vehicular manslaughter rate of its drivers. This could be as much of an issue as the fires, and knowing if the Model S is prone to more dangerous accidents (for other people) than are comparable cars would be useful to know.

There about 700 cyclist killed by automobiles each year.
There are approximately 51,000 injuries due to automobiles of cyclist.

This seems to be a case of driver inattention and overcorrection.
Events like this are always a tragedy. And while I like the idea of additional safety measures built into cars, you can't blame the car for the inattention of the driver.

Volvo system works only at city speeds, if you are at highway speed, both Porsche and Volvo systems are practically useless...

In fact IMO the Volvo obstacles detection system should be improved by integrating it with the ACC. Actually the obstacles detection system should work at all speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

And while I like the idea of additional safety measures built into cars, you can't blame the car for the inattention of the driver.

Of course. I am only saying that a pedestrians and obstacles detection system would be a good additional safety measure on the Model S.

Why was he holding the phone? The car has a perfectly good bluetooth capability. And voice command dialing. Yes it is still a distraction but you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

From the description of the accident, he was fully out of control before he came anywhere near the bicycle riders. So a detection system would have no value.

Actually the car's handsfree system is so awful that I also have to hold my phone or use the speakerphone in my phone. The Model S handsfree reception, at least in my particular vehicle, is unusable. I am constantly breaking up, according to everyone who calls me.

Actually the car's handsfree system is so awful that I also have to hold my phone or use the speakerphone in my phone. The Model S handsfree reception, at least in my particular vehicle, is unusable. I am constantly breaking up, according to everyone who calls me.
The only issues I've had are when I try to talk to it like a speaker phone... People say I'm breaking up. Then, if I try and talk quieter, like I'm talking to someone in e passenger seat, it is flawless.

RIP, perhaps the power these cars have and the safety for other road users should be discussed?

Can't imagine why, there are many other vehicles that are more difficult to control on the roads.

As for the driver stepping out of the car holding his cell phone, I'd imagine that's exactly what most people would do if they just hit someone, grab the phone and call 911 as they get out of the vehicle.

Anyone know if the Model S will be tested by the Euro NCAP program? The test suite includes a pedestrian safety assessment.

I expect that Tesla automobiles in general would be deadlier to people in other vehicles and more destructive to property than other cars because of their weight and powerful motors.