Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Spirited Driving - Maximum Wh/m

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    24

    Spirited Driving - Maximum Wh/m

    I enjoy spirited driving on curvy mountain roads occasionally, full throttle, hard braking, hard turns. In a Prius, I saw 13 mpg charging up a mountain road. In a new Mustang GT, it was 10 mpg going up and over. Just curious, what's the maximum anyone has seen for Wh/m doing this?

    Michael

  2. #2
    Burrito Founder brianman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TMC.com
    Posts
    12,024
    I'd have to go look through old posts, but I think my "high performance driving surface" max average for 5mi was in the 1800 Wh/mi range.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Leesburg Virginia
    Posts
    229
    Name:  photo-8.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  644.0 KBThis is a screen shot (sorry for the iPhone orientation) of some numbers while driving at Richmond International Raceway for Tesla's "Drive Change" event this summer. 5 minute average was 461 Wh/mi. I'm driving my 60 kWh but did get the speeds up into the 90's before having to slow down in the banks of this Nascar short track (one of the few moments I wish I had performance tires).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DFibRL8R View Post
    Name:  photo-8.JPG
Views: 306
Size:  644.0 KBThis is a screen shot (sorry for the iPhone orientation) of some numbers while driving at Richmond International Raceway for Tesla's "Drive Change" event this summer. 5 minute average was 461 Wh/mi. I'm driving my 60 kWh but did get the speeds up into the 90's before having to slow down in the banks of this Nascar short track (one of the few moments I wish I had performance tires).
    Great info! I surprised the Wh/m is that low.

    Did you have to slow down due to lack of cornering grip?

    Michael

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
    I enjoy spirited driving on curvy mountain roads occasionally, full throttle, hard braking, hard turns. In a Prius, I saw 13 mpg charging up a mountain road. In a new Mustang GT, it was 10 mpg going up and over. Just curious, what's the maximum anyone has seen for Wh/m doing this?

    Michael
    This depends on a lot of factors. Vertical climb, high speed, constant speed vs a lot of full stop full accell, outside temperature, etc

    For example, I've done 80 miles straight with cruise control at 95-98mpg and averaged 460Wh/mile. I've also done the same run at 55-65mph while drafting a truck and averaged 197Wh/mile. Big difference even at constant speeds but different conditions. But if you are frequently slowing down to almost complete stop then gunning it full throttle over and over and over again, then I can see how someone can get 1000+Wh/mile.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Leesburg Virginia
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
    Great info! I surprised the Wh/m is that low.

    Did you have to slow down due to lack of cornering grip?

    Michael
    Yes I did feel the need to slow down in the turns. This was my first time driving on a track and I really didn't want to run the car in to the wall (I think there's an exclusion in most insurance policies on damage from use at a race track). I recently had the pleasure of using a p85+ loaner while mine was in for service and the difference in cornering with the performance tires and "+" suspension was quite apparent. The 60kWh is also more efficient than the 85 which should reflect in the track numbers also.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Maximum Charge for first charge
    By rogbmw in forum Model S: Battery & Charging
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2013-02-18, 09:02 PM
  2. Saw another S while driving around
    By Bruce in forum Model S
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2013-01-29, 06:31 AM
  3. What is your maximum price?
    By Mycroft in forum Model S
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2011-10-07, 01:15 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2011-02-28, 08:40 PM
  5. Maximum Current Draw vs. State of Charge
    By rolosrevenge in forum Battery Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-12-16, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •