Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spirited Driving - Maximum Wh/m

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoy spirited driving on curvy mountain roads occasionally, full throttle, hard braking, hard turns. In a Prius, I saw 13 mpg charging up a mountain road. In a new Mustang GT, it was 10 mpg going up and over. Just curious, what's the maximum anyone has seen for Wh/m doing this?

Michael

photo-8.JPG
This is a screen shot (sorry for the iPhone orientation) of some numbers while driving at Richmond International Raceway for Tesla's "Drive Change" event this summer. 5 minute average was 461 Wh/mi. I'm driving my 60 kWh but did get the speeds up into the 90's before having to slow down in the banks of this Nascar short track (one of the few moments I wish I had performance tires).

View attachment 34857This is a screen shot (sorry for the iPhone orientation) of some numbers while driving at Richmond International Raceway for Tesla's "Drive Change" event this summer. 5 minute average was 461 Wh/mi. I'm driving my 60 kWh but did get the speeds up into the 90's before having to slow down in the banks of this Nascar short track (one of the few moments I wish I had performance tires).

Great info! I surprised the Wh/m is that low.

Did you have to slow down due to lack of cornering grip?

Michael

I enjoy spirited driving on curvy mountain roads occasionally, full throttle, hard braking, hard turns. In a Prius, I saw 13 mpg charging up a mountain road. In a new Mustang GT, it was 10 mpg going up and over. Just curious, what's the maximum anyone has seen for Wh/m doing this?

Michael

This depends on a lot of factors. Vertical climb, high speed, constant speed vs a lot of full stop full accell, outside temperature, etc

For example, I've done 80 miles straight with cruise control at 95-98mpg and averaged 460Wh/mile. I've also done the same run at 55-65mph while drafting a truck and averaged 197Wh/mile. Big difference even at constant speeds but different conditions. But if you are frequently slowing down to almost complete stop then gunning it full throttle over and over and over again, then I can see how someone can get 1000+Wh/mile.

Great info! I surprised the Wh/m is that low.

Did you have to slow down due to lack of cornering grip?

Michael

Yes I did feel the need to slow down in the turns. This was my first time driving on a track and I really didn't want to run the car in to the wall (I think there's an exclusion in most insurance policies on damage from use at a race track). I recently had the pleasure of using a p85+ loaner while mine was in for service and the difference in cornering with the performance tires and "+" suspension was quite apparent. The 60kWh is also more efficient than the 85 which should reflect in the track numbers also.