Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About all Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV of 2013 are coming to The Netherlands (11,000)!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
It all has got to do with the tax incentives. All these tax incentives are only for businesses, and not for private people.

The best case scenario is that a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV costs only about 7,000 Euro (instead of the 42,000 Euro). And that's a crazy good bargain.

It's unfortunate that the high European demand has caused them to push the U.S. launch back until 2015, but who can blame people for buying them if they are practically giving them away? Hopefully more auto manufacturers jump on the plug-in SUV bandwagon.

It all has got to do with the tax incentives. All these tax incentives are only for businesses, and not for private people.

The best case scenario is that a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV costs only about 7,000 Euro (instead of the 42,000 Euro). And that's a crazy good bargain.

Is this going to be $58k in the USA? I suppose it is far enough away from Model X at ~$75k but still a lot of dough for what you get.

This will probably go head to head with the PHEV Volvo XC90.

If I had to choose I would probably go with Volvo.

Last edited:
Hi all - first time poster (but very long time follower of Tesla)

Anyway - the Outlander has finally arrived down under in Australia (large advertising campaign on normal TV and pay TV) so I thought I would grab the chance to test drive it a couple of days ago. I had to drive 100kms from my home to my nearest dealer. Overall I thought it was very good to drive - it was my first time driving a car under electric propulsion and I got the 50km from the battery (as claimed). I took the top spec 'Aspire' version for a drive for around 90 minutes. I can now see why they are quite popular in Europe and Japan other than just the incentives.

Mitsi has priced it pretty aggressively here in Oz too - The top of range spec costs around the same as their top spec diesel variant. Our only other real PHEV option here is the Volt but they are way overpriced for what you get - no wonder they've barely sold any locally. We have no real government monetary incentives either unlike a lot of other countries. The Volt is nearly AUD$65k here and the the two variants of Outlander PHEV are AUD$50k and $55k and are much better equipped and certainly a more practical vehicle with the most notable features - 4 vs 5 seats - and more storage. Here in Australia, diesel costs around 5-10% more than regular unleaded so this type of car makes the diesel variant of the same car somewhat redundant as there is no real fuel economy gain.

Hi all - first time poster (but very long time follower of Tesla)

Anyway - the Outlander has finally arrived down under in Australia (large advertising campaign on normal TV and pay TV) so I thought I would grab the chance to test drive it a couple of days ago. I had to drive 100kms from my home to my nearest dealer. Overall I thought it was very good to drive - it was my first time driving a car under electric propulsion and I got the 50km from the battery (as claimed). I took the top spec 'Aspire' version for a drive for around 90 minutes. I can now see why they are quite popular in Europe and Japan other than just the incentives.

Mitsi has priced it pretty aggressively here in Oz too - The top of range spec costs around the same as their top spec diesel variant. Our only other real PHEV option here is the Volt but they are way overpriced for what you get - no wonder they've barely sold any locally. We have no real government monetary incentives either unlike a lot of other countries. The Volt is nearly AUD$65k here and the the two variants of Outlander PHEV are AUD$50k and $55k and are much better equipped and certainly a more practical vehicle with the most notable features - 4 vs 5 seats - and more storage. Here in Australia, diesel costs around 5-10% more than regular unleaded so this type of car makes the diesel variant of the same car somewhat redundant as there is no real fuel economy gain.

Had no idea this was available in Australia! Definitely a better deal than the Volt over here. I wonder why we're getting charged like a wounded bull for the Volt in Australia?

Can't believe that we have the Outlander PHEV before the United States! Seems weird....

Had no idea this was available in Australia! Definitely a better deal than the Volt over here. I wonder why we're getting charged like a wounded bull for the Volt in Australia?

I wonder this myself. It certainly needs to be $15k cheaper to stand a chance of surviving here. With such low sales it must be close to being pulled. Can't say I have even seen one on the roads myself and my friends and family certainly haven't heard of it.

Can't believe that we have the Outlander PHEV before the United States! Seems weird....

This is strange and it may well because of supply restrictions perhaps with the battery being the culprit. No point opening in a huge market if you can't supply enough unless it is something very special like a Model S. I also think that because of the high anticipated UK sales and high current Japanese sales - both being RHD, that it maybe have been somewhat easy for them to bring it over to test the waters here without killing their build capacity. I do hope it does become popular so we ultimately get more choice. I was told at the time that Mitsi are pushing themselves very hard to have a PHEV or EV variant of every model within 5 or 6 years. Kill or be killed I suppose.

Mitsubishi engineers have said that they underestimated the paperwork needed to get OBD (On board diagnostics) certification from CARB and EPA for a PHEV.

GSP