Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to install parking sensors - group buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gentleman,
With the recent announcement from Jerome at Tesla that a parking sensor retrofit most likely will not be available and given that I have now brushed my front bumper against the garage twice (see pic-thanks good for the Xpel Ultimate, $100 to remove the film and reapply to look like brand new!), it is time to go aftermarket and get these sensors installed. I have spoken extensively with Mat at the service center and narrowed it down to two companies, Sound in Motion in Brighton and Toy Motorsports (not sure of location). Sound in Motion is a high end installation shop that did some amazing work on Rob's Tesla and essentially pulled the entire car apart and put it back together so I feel very comfortable in their skills and knowledge regarding the car. I spoke with them earlier this week to discuss installation of front and rear parking sensors. Based on review of multiple options and experiences from others on the forum, the best option seems to be the Cobra ParkMaster 356/358 which is small, flush, and color matched to the car. This unit has been recommended by the folks at Tesla to others. Jim at Sound in Motion is willing to give us a group buy price of $1300 for front and rear audible only. Extra if you want the front and/or rear display units. (Some people think the visual display look cheesy, are a distraction for the driver, or just add to the expense-your call). Based on the forums, I think the price is very reasonable for a top end installer as Al and Ed's in CA charges $1600 and I have seen other quotes up to $2500. Sound in Motion has ordered a special tool to make the cuts precise and the have imported the units from the UK(made in Italy). The price for the unit is about $500 and install will take 2 day as the sensors need to be painted. I am willing to be the first guinea pig as my wife does not want to drive the car without these sensors in place due to the size and expense of the car. If I don't do it, I can save the $1300 and prevent my wife from driving the car :) but I think I should be a good husband. I am hoping to have the sensors installed in time for the Noiv 14th get together but there is no gaurentee the price may not go up once they see what is involved in the install. They are willing to honor this price for those that sign up on the group buy list before Nov 14th. You can always cancel if you want. Let me know if you interested.....I have posted some links that may be helpful as you do your due diligence. Hope to see everyone Nov 14th!

Park Master A0356/358/359 17mm Flush Mount Sensors — Products — Cobra Vehicle Security

Parking sensors - Page 5

Tesla Model S Front and Rear Parking Sensors Installation 310.827.8121 - YouTube

Spoke with SIM-they can get the install done in 1 day if they know the color code and get a nominal deposit up front - scheduled for my install on 11/11. They are willing to honor the group buy price to anyone who signs up by 11/17. Gives everyone a chance top check out my install at the Nov 14th meeting. Hope that helps.

PM'd Dennis who had these sensors installed in CA with some questions. His response is below.....

"I paid $2000 for the parking sensor install. That was $500 for parts, $275 for a mobile painter to come to the installers shop and match the paint color, and the rest labor at $85/hr. My installer was extremely meticulous and the result looks as good as a factory install.

The sound location is quite apparent for the two speakers and I believe the tone may be slightly different. There is no configurability that I am aware of, either for the sound or the distance. But the system is very consistent with an increasing frequency as you get closer and a steady tone at about 18".

I'm very satisfied with the audio only install. It is the same as on my McLaren and on previous cars I have owned. The rear sensors are on only when the car is in reverse. The front sensors are under control of a switch with is mounted under the center display. I normally leave the front sensors off so they don't activate in traffic, and only turn them on in parking situations where I need them.

Dennis"

• Helpful
Reactions: thewoz
I too am very interested in having this done. I will be doing to the Dinner the 14th and look forward to seeing bhuwan's and nkohlimd's. I too would have to ask for a 1 day install and am willing if all looks good to put down a large portion of the cost to have it done same day.

The rear sensor activates when the car is in reverse. The front sensor whole in forward but will have a switch to turn it on and off. I think it would be a good idea to be able to turn either or both off and will make sure SIM offers this option. Just as an FYI, I had some concerns that the after market sensors may ruin my Xpel PPF but the drill bit should make a clean cut. If there is a small cosmetic concern, your PPF installer should be able to clean score - no problem. Hope that helps.....see you all on the 14th.

I'm very thankful for the research on this topic guys! I've been wanting to look into this upgrade as well, but had a few questions when it comes to the after-market installs:
1. Would this integrate with the center console or car speaker system for the audio only sensors?
2. Can someone confirm that this wouldn't impact the warranty/servicing by Tesla Service Centers?
3. What are the other choices if you decide to go for more than the audible beeps? Is it a video display? If so, can this be integrated into the center console?
4. Just confirm the cost mentioned... is it $1300 for the labor and parts... everything?

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'll try to meet up with you all on the 14th as well. I say "try" only because I may be out of country and not able to join.

HiTech
In answer to your questions, there is no integration with the center console or car speaker system. This would be extremely difficult and would risk ruining the car. The sensors should go on independent of music and car audio. This should not impact your warranty or servicing by the Tesla service center. The only change in your car would be the holes for the sensors and attaching the self-contained system to power similar to radar detector installation. There is a visible display which can be mounted on the dash, rear camera, or headliner if you so choose. Installation price would increase and you can speak with SIM on this. That's a personal decision. There is more information on the website which is referenced on the initial post. $1300 is for parts and labor and includes paint color matching of the sensors to your car. Elsewhere I have seen this going for $1600-2500. These guys are familiar with Tesla and do high end custom work so I trust them with my car. Happy to show you end results at the meeting or anytime immediate for you if you can't attend. Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Neeraj

I had front/rear sensors installed about 6 months ago. Love it. I had the front Display mounted on top of rear view mirror. No one ever notices it. Rear display mounted on ceiling near rear hatch. That way I can see it from my rear view mirror but is not noticeable otherwise.
guda8a6y.jpg
sa7ase6a.jpg