Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting HOV stickers ahead of time in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Honda Civic CNG with the HOV stickers and love the fact that I save huge amounts of time driving in the morning. As such, I will not drive my new P85+ to work without the HOV stickers. I take possession of my new P85+ on December 9th.

Here's my question:

I plan on taking the personalized plates off another car and will put them on the P85+. I already have the VIN from the dashboard. Based on the personalized plate and the VIN, I plan on filling out the Reg 1000 and sending in my $8 now. Having waited for more than 6 weeks with the Honda, I should get the HOV stickers around the same time that I get my car. Once I get the plates from Tesla when I get my car on the 9th, I plan on going to the DMV to switch the plates. (My DS said that they will issue brand new plates which I can take to the DMV to transfer them over.)

Has anyone done this or is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

If this is found on another thread somewhere, my apologies.

Thanks.

They probably would but I'm banking that they would take their sweet time and if I send it in now, by the time that they process, the VINs should match as long as I process immediately after I get the plates. I guess the way that I would need to do it is give it a couple of more weeks and then send in the Reg 1000, make appt for DMV for around 12/10, hope that the DMV processes appt in 4 weeks...all about timing and banking on DMV delay.

wouldn't they check to make sure the VIN matches the plates?

Well they should, but I think you're giving too much credit to government bureaucracy. If it were me, I'd be very tempted to try this. Seems like the worst case is you get a bit more delayed than had you just waited normally. And the final result is the proper VIN, stickers, and tags all matching up as they should, so why not try?

At the time they process your REG 1000, the VIN, the plate number, and the owner's information in their records and the form must all match. Otherwise they will bounce it back to you. If you time it right, they may not process it until you've already gotten the plates swapped. If you have AAA, they can do the plate swap assignment at their DMV counter too. I've also heard that they open the mail very quickly and if you use a money order it will get processed immediately, while a personal check will sit in a pile for a week or two.