Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are new winter tire/wheel/TPMS combos from Tire Rack plug & play?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm anticipating the imminent arrival of my 19" winter wheel combination from Tire Rack which includes the 19" Rial Lugano wheels and Blizzak LM-60's plus the 433 MHz Tire Pressure Sensor already installed.

I'm comfortable changing tires myself, and in my M3, the car automatically worked with the different TPMS's for each set of tires. Not sure if it's so easy on a Tesla.

Can I simply remove the current 21" Tesla turbines I have now and simply mount this 19" package of wheels/tires?

Questions:
1. Will the TPMS work or do I need to initialize or pair them with the Model S? If it's not automatically done, does it have to be done by Tesla?
2. Is there any calibration needed for the speedometer going from a 21" wheel to a 19" wheel?

I'm anticipating the imminent arrival of my 19" winter wheel combination from Tire Rack which includes the 19" Rial Lugano wheels and Blizzak LM-60's plus the 433 MHz Tire Pressure Sensor already installed.

I'm comfortable changing tires myself, and in my M3, the car automatically worked with the different TPMS's for each set of tires. Not sure if it's so easy on a Tesla.

Can I simply remove the current 21" Tesla turbines I have now and simply mount this 19" package of wheels/tires?

Questions:
1. Will the TPMS work or do I need to initialize or pair them with the Model S? If it's not automatically done, does it have to be done by Tesla?
2. Is there any calibration needed for the speedometer going from a 21" wheel to a 19" wheel?

I installed TireRack Rial Luganos and TPMS on my P85 on Monday. The TPMS worked with zero intervention from me or Tesla. Have not received any pressure warning so far.

+1 on that.

I needed to reprogram my wheels w/Tirerack TPMS... after I sold my original wheels.
If your original wheels are close by (where you park nightly), the car may be picking up the original TPMS...

Though the original sensors should power down at some point (?)

+2 Currently you need to have Tesla rebond with the new TPMS. It took me about 30 miles of driving away from my garage with the new wheels for the tire alert to show. I got mine from Tire Rack as well.

uvy9ajy7.jpg

+2 Currently you need to have Tesla rebond with the new TPMS. It took me about 30 miles of driving away from my garage with the new wheels for the tire alert to show. I got mine from Tire Rack as well.

uvy9ajy7.jpg

these rims look nice. what are they? what size?

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ nevermind. I found your other thread (which apparently I already replied to...lol)

20x8.5 Zinik Z33 with black accent on 255/40R-20 Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/22807-20-quot-Winter-Rubber-P85-ready-for-some-snow!

I ordered the same wheels, tires and TPMS from Tire Rack and had them installed by my local Firestone shop on Monday. The set is great, but the "Tire Pressure System Needs Servicing" alert has now shown up about 10 minutes into my last few drives. I'm assuming I'll need to take it in to the Tesla Service Center. I hope it's not a problem, as the Tesla service person I spoke with earlier was very adamant that they "wouldn't touch" non-OEM parts on the car. He also said the winter wheel set was out of stock (even if I was willing to pay the extra $2,200 it cost over the Tire Rack set), so I didn't really have an option.

Last edited:
I order the same wheels, tires and TPMS from Tire Rack and had them installed by my local Firestone shop on Monday. The set is great, but the "Tire Pressure System Needs Servicing" alert has now shown up about 10 minutes into my last few drives. I'm assuming I'll need to take it in to the Tesla Service Center. I hope it's not a problem, as the Tesla service person I spoke with earlier was very adamant that they "wouldn't touch" non-OEM parts on the car. He also said the winter wheel set was out of stock (even if I was willing to pay the extra $2,200 it cost over the Tire Rack set), so I didn't really have an option.

The Denver Service Center rebonded mine without a problem. They technically do not even "touch" the wheels. They just wave a magnetic wand next to each tire and rebond via a touchscreen interface.

just ordered mine. ended up talking to a rep this morning. turns out these are the same TPMS's that Tesla uses, just a different part number. they say to expect that you will need them to be paired, but it sounds like it works without intervention at least some of the time.

i am running with no TPMS sensors in my winter tires.

every time you start the car it will reset the TPMS info, so even if you had a warning either missing sensors or low pressure, the msg will disappear

the TPMS trip cycle is a minimum of 20kms before the computer will tell you if there is a problem.

I installed TireRack Rial Luganos and TPMS on my P85 on Monday. The TPMS worked with zero intervention from me or Tesla. Have not received any pressure warning so far.

This seems really weird to me. I thought each TPMS sensor had an individual ID (in order to be able to report individual tire pressures), so I wonder how this works?

Although the Tesla system doesn't currently SHOW individual pressures, I believe the system can handle it and it will come with a future firmware upgrade, so if that's the case, how will it handle plug'n'play like this without knowing which sensor is on which tire...

I received the same wheels last week. I am wondering, were you able to use the Tesla center caps with the Rial center caps? If not, I wonder if there are blank gray center caps that can be used with the Tesla "T" stickers.

THanks