Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPC problem "cable strain"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

my HPC Shows "cable strain" fault. Every time I turn off / on the testing seuence is follwoed by that fault.
No idea why! Cable is inserted fine and the conection control pin/Switch is engaged.
The fault Shows since I pulled a bit on the cable ... but nothing is broken! Is there a reset function for that fault?

Anyone interesting to buying a HPC?

I hate to say this, but I'm most certain you won't hear back from supersonic. Best to contact Clipper Creek if the fault is with the charger, if its with the Roadster you should stop by a Tesla Service Center.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 5.50.26 PM.png

The problem is that nobody currently at Tesla has any knowledge of the first generation HPC. The HPC was designed so that if somebody did yank on the cable too hard, it would take a Tesla tech to reset it (probably to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and therefore minimize the chances of somebody getting zapped...). It was some combination of holding and releasing the "reset" button a specific number of times but my memory is just failing me. (Much like the charger right now...).

I do have the 1st Gen HPC, but I have never needed to recover from a cable-strain fault. I have the installation manual, but it does not cover that topic. Martin Eberhard probably knows (or at least did at one time), but I have not been in contact with him for some while. i'll try an email to him.

• Helpful
Reactions: wiztecy
The problem is that nobody currently at Tesla has any knowledge of the first generation HPC. The HPC was designed so that if somebody did yank on the cable too hard, it would take a Tesla tech to reset it (probably to make sure everything was hooked up correctly and therefore minimize the chances of somebody getting zapped...). It was some combination of holding and releasing the "reset" button a specific number of times but my memory is just failing me. (Much like the charger right now...).

Possible help: I'm involved with a small company here in the Cleveland area, who developed what I think were the earliest charge interface units for Tesla - and I assume it was for roadster. Do you know who manufactured your unit? Can you show me a picture ? I know the engineer there who does electronics and software for these units and newer ones sold by Bosch.