Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions For Q3 Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last conferance call you mentioned that only a few suppliers were causing production to slow, have those type of issues been worked out? I think we are all looking for an update on predicted demand vs. actual in Asia/China, US, and Europe. What prompted the dedication to Germany? Are their a significant amount of reservations in Germany? We are continuing to see Tesla fail to meet it's supercharger targets, is there reasons for this or is it lack or money to the program? GM outlook? Production capabilities with/without extra assembly lines and equipment?

Would you consider releasing monthly production numbers and sales data? When do you anticipate the need for a third shift and a second production line? Any plans to obtain additional capital for expansion via stock sale or incurring additional debt?

It didn't meet the ones planned by fall... it isn't posting any planned fall ones either yet, still catching up to summer 2013. you have to switch in between "Today" and "fall 2013" you see their are missing red ones on the "today" one compared to the "Fall 2013" one

Nowhere on Tesla's Supercharger page does it say "by fall". It says "Fall". I repeat: fall is not over yet.

The "Today" map and "Fall 2013" map are not identical because fall is not over yet.

Nowhere on Tesla's Supercharger page does it say "by fall". It says "Fall". I repeat: fall is not over yet.

The "Today" map and "Fall 2013" map are not identical because fall is not over yet.

PeterJA is correct. They made their Summer target just in the nick of time. Fall can't be judged yet. That said, let's take this over to the Supercharger thread. No need to pollute this one before we even make it to the second page.

Given the battery supply constraint now being resolved somewhat for the next few years...IF there happens to be global demand for 100,000-150,000 Model S and X units combined in 2015, do you think it is likely for Tesla Motors to be in a position to meet that demand by the start of 2015?
If so, what would you speculate the range for gross margins to be for that type of volume?

If there are two sources of batteries in the future: Are the batteries sourced from one supplier dedicated to one car, and the batteries sourced from another supplier dedicated to a different car? Or will there be mixing between the suppliers? Maybe someone could help me with the articulation, but will all model S be from panasonic and all model x be from samsung, or will the model have 50% samsung and 50% panasonic batteries?
It's important in case there is a manufacturer defect in the battery, or if a supplier has issues.

Since the battery pack is the most expensive part of the car, may be they can elaborate more on the deal with Panasonic. What effect does the deal have on future pricing of the cars. (I have heard rumours that the prices of the batteries have gone up..)

Since the battery pack is the most expensive part of the car, may be they can elaborate more on the deal with Panasonic. What effect does the deal have on future pricing of the cars. (I have heard rumours that the prices of the batteries have gone up..)
"Elon, with your history in PayPal...what are your thoughts on the future of Bitcoin?"

serious question: "Elon, much of the media has been taking your comments on the stock price out of context. Can you clarify once and for all what you think about it now and where it can go?"

Last edited:
I will not be able to tune in at the time of the call, so hopefully someone else might ask these questions for me.

What do you expect gross margins and average selling prices to look like in the next few quarters?

What will the R&D and SG&A expenses look like over the next couple of quarters?

You clearly have an ambition for Tesla to become a major car manufacturer quite quickly. What do you think the probability is that this can be achieved without raising external capital for buying production assets such as factories and robots? Is your strategy to target whatever organic growth is possible, or to grow at the maximum pace even if you have to seek external funding?

Can you say something about how far you have come in setting up high-preforming teams in Europe and Asia? Can you also say something about your philosophy for the global organisation - for instance in terms of local autonomy, whether you want a strong geographical layer between Palo Alto and the countries etc.?

Could you say something about how revenues from ZEV credits will develop over the next year, and the dynamics that drive these revenues?

Are you, sir, Iron Man?

201305011402_1367434943.6148878.gif