Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central's 'The Law' removable front license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Torklift Central manufactured an aftermarket solution for a removable bolt on front license plate called The Law.
Torklift Central - The Law
Easy install and easy removal. Great solution for someone who does not want to modify their vehicle.
Looks interesting. Any chance we could get more pictures, especially from the side, or the installation instructions? Does it sit behind the nosecone/front spoiler, or put another way, does it stick out from the bumper?

Based on this: "If you do not hand wash your Tesla, remove the bracket prior to entering any automatic rotating brush style car washes." I assume the plastic mesh of the grille is not terribly sturdy. I wonder if the clamping force of those bolts will damage the grille over time...

Looks interesting. Any chance we could get more pictures, especially from the side, or the installation instructions? Does it sit behind the nosecone/front spoiler, or put another way, does it stick out from the bumper?

Based on this: "If you do not hand wash your Tesla, remove the bracket prior to entering any automatic rotating brush style car washes." I assume the plastic mesh of the grille is not terribly sturdy. I wonder if the clamping force of those bolts will damage the grille over time...

For installation instructions, you can contact our shop and they will send them. The bracket sits on the bottom grill piece and can be placed anywhere you prefer on that piece.

Install video:

I have attached a few more images of the Torklift Central Law. You can see the bracket is designed to not touch the front bumper at all.
Tesla License Plate Side View.jpg
DSCN5396.jpg

We did all of our testing on an actual Tesla grill to ensure durability.
DSCN5264.jpg

The bracket is inserted into the grill by sliding one of the pieces in the openings. (see below)
DSCN5386.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing with 4 toggle bolts and 4 spacers total cost $3.00 Note you need to choose the "Small" toggle with 4" bolt which you can buy at any good hardware store.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not put my TESLA in a brush car wash.

I would not put my TESLA in a brush car wash.
Nor I, but the fact the disclaimer is there certainly gives pause. I thought I was being clear, but perhaps not. Air is constantly going to be pushing on the plate (with huge force, at highway speeds). That grille is just a thin plastic honeycomb. I was wondering how this force is going to affect the grille over time, especially with only two mounting points such that it's providing a twisting force, which plastic is not terribly resistant to. The disclaimer would seem to indicate the bracket is not terribly sturdy, hence my concern.

Looks like a well-constructed part. I don't see anything else you could do to make it safer, other than reduce the distance from the plate to the bumper. I suspect it's that far because it bends substantially at speed, though.

What would be interesting is to find out how much that grille costs. It looks like Torklift purchased one, maybe they can chime in. If it's relatively inexpensive, even if five years down the road it has damaged the grille a bit, it would probably be worthwhile for the superior mounting location. Just replace the grille. If it's cheaper than the nosecone, even better.

Last edited:
Torklift Central The Law - Removable Front License Plate

For research and development of the license plate bracket, Torklift Central purchased the actual Tesla grill to test the strength and durability. The grill was around $75 from Tesla factory.

The bracket is designed in such a way as to distribute the force evenly across the mounting surface. Regular wind force is not enough to bend or distort the bracket. The reference to the car wash is that the physical machines that come in contact with the car have the potential to wrap around the license plate and pull on the license plate bracket with far more force than it would ever see while driving.

The bracket is $104.95 with free shipping
A link to the product can be found here

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarifications. All great news, especially with the grille being so inexpensive. I hadn't expected the bracket to bend (it looks like very sturdy metal), but thought the plastic grille or thin license plate might. If there's no flex, any reason why the plate doesn't sit closer to the bumper? Maybe it's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like there's a lot of space there to do so.

In any case, thanks for producing the bracket. Looks like a very nice product.

Thanks for the clarifications. All great news, especially with the grille being so inexpensive. I hadn't expected the bracket to bend (it looks like very sturdy metal), but thought the plastic grille or thin license plate might. If there's no flex, any reason why the plate doesn't sit closer to the bumper? Maybe it's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like there's a lot of space there to do so.

In any case, thanks for producing the bracket. Looks like a very nice product.

There is approximately 1/2" between the license plate and the nose cone on the Tesla. This is to ensure that the license plate does not touch the nose cone and potentially scratch the vehicles paint.

There is approximately 1/2" between the license plate and the nose cone on the Tesla. This is to ensure that the license plate does not touch the nose cone and potentially scratch the vehicles paint.

TC, may I suggest to shorten the plate or allow it to be adjustable so it can be flashed with the front surfaces and wrap the license plate with rubber/plastic to protect the car surfaces? as mentioned the concern is how much the grill can sustain like small frontal bumps into the plate.

Thank you so much for bringing this product to us.