Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security PIN: Method to recover, or return to default 1234?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a used Roadster Sport and the original owner set a Security PIN that was not the "1234" default. Unfortunately, that Security PIN was not provided with the materials that came with the car. Does anyone know of a method to recover that Security PIN, or reset the Security PIN back to the default "1234"?

Thanks.

cangman

Thanks, Doug_G. Didn't want to bring into the Service Center just for this item, and didn't want to wait until Annual Service (which is six months away), but if I can't find an answer here, I'll just have to wait for the Annual Service.

Thanks, again.

cangman

One of my friends bought a CPO Roadster a few months ago around the same time I did. He did not have the PIN either and the local service center's initial response was that they didn't know how to reset it.

That was about 2 months ago and I haven't heard an update, but I really hope the local service center was wrong about that.

Thanks, shrink. Interestingly, when I discussed this matter with my local Tesla Service Center, their response was, and I quote, "we're not quite sure how to do it, but I'm sure if we plug it in and play around with it for a while (@ $200/hr), we'll be able to figure it out". Doesn't exactly instill confidence, now, does it?

Thanks, again.

cangman

Mine had previous owner's PIN.

It took a trip to the service center with some ID's and registration form (they asked for them, but I don't think they actually looked at them).

The downloaded the log file and had to send it back to Menlo Park for the boys (or girls) there to decipher the code.

Back then, they were suuuuuper busy with Model S deliveries (just beginning and ramping) so it took them about 3 or 4 months (not typo) before they finally got back to me with the prev owner's PIN.

I purchased a used Roadster with the same problem. I have a 2.0, the Ranger had to remove the left side of the dash and retrieve a code off the back of a "box". Not complicated, but with the limited space I couldn't get eye's on which box. So it is possible.

My 1.5 developed a problem with the key fob receiver so that it would not unlock. When I opened the door with the mechanical lock on the bottom of the door, the alarm went off and the VDS asked for the PIN. Problem was that I did not remember what I had set because I never use it. My wife called the Tesla store for me (at just before 9PM closing), and they talked to someone in service, and in no more than 10 minutes called me back with the number. I believe it is contained in the USB download, but I have not found it yet.

SUCCESS: Just to close this out, and maybe provide some useful information to others who may face this issue in the future-----

I uploaded the log file as instructed in the Roadster Owner's Manual, and within hours received an e-mail from a local Tesla Service Center (very impressive response time---however, note that the very kind Service person informed me that Tesla is in the process of transitioning to a new system for receiving these logs, and I was very fortunate that he just happened to be looking at the old system). Also note, it is important to include your contact details in the comment box provided on the upload page. The Service person was able to recover the old Security PIN from the log file (again, he noted that he was using a "legacy" system to do this----presumably the "upgrade" that they are undergoing will retain the facility to recover the Security PINs from the log files).

I have already used the old Security PIN to reset the PIN to one of my own choosing.

Many thanks to all respondents, all of whom provided extremely helpful information.

The PIN code was not known for my roadster when I purchased it. I contacted Tesla at the 877-798-3752 number and asked them about it. They had me send proof of ownership documentation, and were able to email me back with the existing PIN number within one day. I got the ESA transferred into my name at the same time. I was initially informed that there would be a transfer fee, but it was apparently waived.

i had the same issue. The previous owner did not remember it's pin.

I went to the service centre in Antwerp, gave them my VIN number, and it just took them a couple of minutes to read out the old pin code from their computer. they didn't even looked at or touch the car to do this. What a great service !

no idea however how they did that ? do they have online access to the car ? Or are do they have access to the last vehicle logs in a central database ?
Would be nice to know how they did that.

i had the same issue. The previous owner did not remember it's pin.

I went to the service centre in Antwerp, gave them my VIN number, and it just took them a couple of minutes to read out the old pin code from their computer. they didn't even looked at or touch the car to do this. What a great service !

no idea however how they did that ? do they have online access to the car ? Or are do they have access to the last vehicle logs in a central database ?
Would be nice to know how they did that.
i had same issue. debated whether to pursue getting the pin but it was so easy i did it. did not regret that either. 2 weeks later opened the front hood out of check it out and was surprised when the car required pin to start. was so glad i had gotten it

I recently purchased a used Roadster Sport and the original owner set a Security PIN that was not the "1234" default. Unfortunately, that Security PIN was not provided with the materials that came with the car. Does anyone know of a method to recover that Security PIN, or reset the Security PIN back to the default "1234"?

Thanks.

cangman

Try 1080