Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Linking to posts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you see a page on TMC that you want to share, look at the URL and at the end it should have a post # like "#post11733".

To link to it don't copy the whole URL, as it will have some page# in the link that is only relative to your forum settings... Just make a link like [_post_=_11733]Name of post[_/post_]
(Omit the underscores)

These kinds of post links work for everyone. The copy/paste permalinks don't work for users who have different posts per page settings than you have.

For instance, in your post you have this link:
www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/312-whitestar-styling-ideas-5.html#post11733
See that "-5.html" the 5 is a page #.
For me, I have a different number of posts per page, so I get to page 5 from your link but post #11733 isn't on that page (for me) so it just shows a different post.

Last edited:
I've just been using the Permalink URL. So are you saying to copy the last 5 "X" numbers (P=XXXXX) at the top of the page in the URL box? How will that send them to a specific relevant post (rather than the whole page)?

These kinds of post links work for everyone. The copy/past permalinks don't work for users who have different posts per page settings than you have.

Since I had/have no idea this is a user adjustable setting obviously mine would be in whatever is default.

When you see a page on TMC that you want to share, look at the URL and at the end it should have a post # like "#post11733".

To link to it don't copy the whole URL, as it will have some page# in the link that is only relative to your forum settings... Just make a link like [_post_=_11733]Name of post[_/post_]
(Omit the underscores)

These kinds of post links work for everyone. The copy/past permalinks don't work for users who have different posts per page settings than you have.

For instance, in your post you have this link:
www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/312-whitestar-styling-ideas-5.html#post11733
See that "-5.html" the 5 is a page #.
For me, I have a different number of posts per page, so I get to page 5 from your link but post #11733 isn't on that page (for me) so it just shows a different post.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem very "perma" to me!

Yeah, the permalinks aren't that great. It's basically the permalink for you, not nessesarily for others. If everyone were using the default settings, it would work fine for the most part. I figure those that are knowledgeable enough not to be using the default settings also can figure out what others are trying to link to.

Here's part of some email I sent to TEG a while back that might add a little more clarity. I suppose I should have made a thread on the forum about it then, but I didn't want to confuse people. However, TEG posts a lot and often links to many other posts, so I thought I should make sure he knew the details.

--------
A couple quick forum suggestions about links.

When linking to another part of the forum, I find it useful to use the
thread and post tags. Each thread and each post has a unique number.
So an example might be:

Go see that [noparse]here[/noparse].

That way if the post gets moved, the link is still good. It's also
independent of display settings. For example if you just use the
"permalink" it gives you the permalink for your settings. But I for
example have things setup to see the maximum number of posts per page.
But that means my page 4 on a thread is different from someone else's
page 4. So the permalink doesn't necessarily work right, if you know
what I mean.

>>Yes, I didn't realize that I had been making permalinks relative to my settings.

If you're leaving a link to the forum, say on some other blog, and say the post
is #12345 and it's on page 3 of the thread, the permalink will end with "threadtitle-3.html#post12345"

if you replace the page# with the post#, then the link will work regardless of settings.
so change the link so it ends with "threadtitle-post12345.html#post12345"
--------------------

Be sure to see the BB code description: Tesla Motors Club Forum - BB Code List