Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. reports $9.7 billion loss on General Motors bailout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much did they offset this loss by paying less unemployment benefits? Reduced health and retirement benefits? Reduced impact to our economy by not having as many jobs leave the country to foreign automakers and parts suppliers?

I'm not entirely convinced the bailout was a good idea, but trying to keep it in perspective.

And 1000s of suppliers stayed in business to keep jobs and provide parts to not only GM but Ford and many others, etc, etc.

And they are producing award winning and high selling vehicles of high quality.
LOL. I've asked before, but sure you don't work for GM?

In this context I'd say the $10 billion would have been better spent encouraging free enterprise. For that much, new companies could have been started. Imagine what Tesla would (will) do with that much money.

LOL. I've asked before, but sure you don't work for GM?

In this context I'd say the $10 billion would have been better spent encouraging free enterprise. For that much, new companies could have been started. Imagine what Tesla would (will) do with that much money.
+1000000

Rewarding failure is a horrible way to spur growth and innovation.

LOL. I've asked before, but sure you don't work for GM? In this context I'd say the $10 billion would have been better spent encouraging free enterprise. For that much, new companies could have been started. Imagine what Tesla would (will) do with that much money.
I've been a Ford fan since growing up. GM Chevrolet Volt was my 1st Chevrolet product. Very impressed with the car even after 26,701 electric miles from my garage plug in 2.5 years. And they've treated their customers excellent (like Tesla and unlike Nissan).

Added you to my ignore list on this forum as well. MNL sure has been nice without you.

And they are producing award winning and high selling vehicles of high quality.
Along with a lot of unreliable vehicles (from Consumer Reports reliability ratings and plenty of supporting evidence from places like say cruzetalk.com) still. :( My parents have had 3 GM vehicles in the past. We don't buy their products anymore.

I did consider the Volt as it had a fairly decent reliability record, but there were numerous reasons not to and instead go w/a pure BEV. I would be very hesitant to buy any GM product until that particular model has a consistently good reliability record. That's much less of a gamble w/say Toyota and Honda (and their luxury brands).

My whole point was that the Gov't gave money to GM AND Tesla, one making out of date cars and the other pushing humanity forward. Which one was able to pay it back with interest? Ah, that's right, the one moving us forward. All the while you have naysayers of EVs saying "But Tesla took money from the Gov't, yada, yada, yada....."

I'm happy to see the USA headquartered companies doing well ... selling not only locally but globally!

USA_auto-market-share-chart-october-2013.jpg

Added you to my ignore list on this forum as well. MNL sure has been nice without you.
For those that don't know, Scott is a moderator on the gm-volt forum. A site that regularly filters/bans posts that aren't pro-GM and has a culture that generally encourages attacks against even owners who dare complain about the Volt. I think such censorship causes more harm than good making it look like you have something to hide. Luckily I haven't noticed such behavior here.

- - - Updated - - -

My whole point was that the Gov't gave money to GM AND Tesla, one making out of date cars and the other pushing humanity forward. Which one was able to pay it back with interest? Ah, that's right, the one moving us forward. All the while you have naysayers of EVs saying "But Tesla took money from the Gov't, yada, yada, yada....."
But.. but... GM is the company coming out with their Tesla Model S killer. Their answer to the Model S is the Cadillac ELR starting at $75,000. Its a Chevy Volt with less electric range (35 miles), even less interior room and only 2 doors. It must be the real reason Tesla stock is down so much. (/sarcasm)

CR methodology is terrible when it comes to "best" cars. I like their test reports, but when they pick the "best", then CR is junk.
There's a big difference between their reviews (which some may find worthless) vs. them reporting reliability statistics which come from subscriber surveys. They require that there be at least 100 responses for a given model year of a given model to even report the stats.

Seems generally a lot more reliable than anecdotal reports and asking a few people who have them the vehicle. The sample size is WAY too small.

So perhaps all of those suppliers and the newly profitable GM can pony up and reimburse the tax payer with interest?

Excellent idea. They should set up a payment plan with the US Treasury to gradually pay off the $9.7B over 10-15 years.

I won't hold my breath waiting for this to be announced however.

GSP

There's a big difference between their reviews (which some may find worthless) vs. them reporting reliability statistics which come from subscriber surveys. They require that there be at least 100 responses for a given model year of a given model to even report the stats.

Seems generally a lot more reliable than anecdotal reports and asking a few people who have them the vehicle. The sample size is WAY too small.

It is still a biased report. They only take reports from CR faithful. It is like asking baseball fans what is the best sport. Garbage in, garbage out.