Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada resale guarantee now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Canadian website has slightly changed: http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/financing-and-true-cost-of-ownership

Tesla offers two options for financing Model S: longer term loans up to 84 months that have low monthly payments and shorter term loans of between 36 and 66 months that come with our guaranteed resale value. By guaranteeing the value of Model S over time, Tesla Financing combines the advantages of financing and leasing in one program.

- - - Updated - - -

Also:

Loans are offered through Scotiabank. Scotiabank is not associated with the Resale Value Guarantee (download in English or French).

Please note that, according to the Tesla guys in Vancouver, you must be financing between 60 and 85 percent of the vehicle's value to qualify for this. For example, I don't qualify because my down payment is too big.

This also resulted in the interest rate increasing from 3.99 to 4.29 percent

Can someone explain to me why the length of the loan determines whether or not you get the resale guarantee ? Is Tesla doing the financing? Why doesn't the guarantee apply to the car only? Pay cash means no guarantee? What's up with that? What am I missing?

I have two guesses:

1) Tesla quite logically would prefer to keep the number of people/cars subject to the RVG as low as possible, and putting fairly strict criteria for eligibility in place serves that end, and/or;

2) Tesla has an agreement with the banks that are providing financing to drive a certain amount of revenue to the banks, and does not want to create an arbitrage incentive for owners to use the bank financing for a short period just to become eligible for the RVG.

Can someone explain to me why the length of the loan determines whether or not you get the resale guarantee ? Is Tesla doing the financing? Why doesn't the guarantee apply to the car only? Pay cash means no guarantee? What's up with that? What am I missing?
The banks doing the loans are corporate partners. jPM Chase and US Bank were underwriters of the bond notes that Tesla issued recently and back in 2013. They are "throwing them a bone" in terms of partnering up for business. One more thing is to get the buy back to occur, the loan must be paid off and title obtained by the car owner. Until then, the bank is the true owner of the title. You must do this in order to sell the car back to Tesla. Read the details on this in the terms of the agreement. Kind of a hassle and the hope probably is you don't want to bother since the value probably is slightly higher than the turn in value you would get by selling it back. Kind of a feel-good promise but since it is not a lease, doesn't matter too much.