Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Key Fob Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found out why the prices varied from service center to service center. The price of the key is $300 and one location wanted to charge one hour of labor at $175 and the other location was only going to charge 0.4 of an hour. I doubt it actually takes a full hour to do.

I found out why the prices varied from service center to service center. The price of the key is $300 and one location wanted to charge one hour of labor at $175 and the other location was only going to charge 0.4 of an hour. I doubt it actually takes a full hour to do.
Good grief, I don't think it takes more than a few minutes. I was in for some unrelated service visit last month, and asked about the wear on the top of the one fob (the plastic over the lock/unlock button falling off in a circular fashion to expose the underlying button) They had the new key programmed and ready to test out before I knew they were working on it!

Wear and tear of the keyfob is definitely covered by Tesla.

I had the rangers out to replace a misbehaving door handle. The fob I use had no plastic at the top button. Without my request, they told me to get the other key and they'd replace the broken one and reprogram both. The whole job was pretty darn quick.

I complained about my key fob wearing out and they replaced it. I had to bring in both of my key fobs and they replaced my other one as well which I have never used. I suggested that they make them waterproof like my Toyota fob which has gone through the washing machine several times.

I just got 2 new fobs at the bellevue service center last week.
cost is 300$ each + 50$ labor for re-programming.

In my case, I ended up paying just for 1 fob (lost key), the other was covered under warranty (the plastic over one of the buttons came of). Since they had to do reprogramming for a warranty one, I didn't have to pay the 50$ part.
Supposedly the cracked/missing plastic over buttons has been addressed in newer fobs (VIN 15000+ or something), and they'll replace + reprogram under warranty.

Wear and tear of the keyfob is definitely covered by Tesla.

I had the rangers out to replace a misbehaving door handle. The fob I use had no plastic at the top button. Without my request, they told me to get the other key and they'd replace the broken one and reprogram both. The whole job was pretty darn quick.

My fob has a crack on the top: Too much using for demonstrations at EV shows, I guess. Anyway, wrote to Service. They replace the top SKIN, not the whole fob. No need to reprogram. It just snaps into place, the whole process taking less than 30 minutes.

Yes, it's covered.