Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fitting a tandem into a Model S: favor required from Eugene, OR area owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EdA

Model S P-2540
Mar 24, 2011
Cape Cod
Hello Northwest,

I'm considering buying a Bike Friday tandem bicycle (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) and trying to decide if I need to
spring for the most expensive folding model or can get away with one of the cheaper models (then there's the hassle factor of disassembling the non-folding tandem).

Are there any bike enthusiast Model S owners near Bike Friday (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) that can do some fitting attempts for me and determine how long it takes to assemble/disassemble the different bike styles to get into the Model S?

I have a 20 year old tandem which has served us well however I retired the minivan (perfect tandem & pinball mover :wink:) when I got the Model S. I'd like to avoid a roof rack (been there, pre-minivan) or a trailer hitch thingy if possible.

Thanks in advance,
/Ed

Hello Northwest,

I'm considering buying a Bike Friday tandem bicycle (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) and trying to decide if I need to
spring for the most expensive folding model or can get away with one of the cheaper models (then there's the hassle factor of disassembling the non-folding tandem).

Are there any bike enthusiast Model S owners near Bike Friday (Bike Friday - Custom folding and travel bicycles hand-crafted in Oregon) that can do some fitting attempts for me and determine how long it takes to assemble/disassemble the different bike styles to get into the Model S?

I have a 20 year old tandem which has served us well however I retired the minivan (perfect tandem & pinball mover :wink:) when I got the Model S. I'd like to avoid a roof rack (been there, pre-minivan) or a trailer hitch thingy if possible.

Thanks in advance,
/Ed

Send me a PM with some more particulars: which models you'd like info for, do you want to try and get it in the frunk, under the load floor in the back? I'll try to find the time to go down there this week.

A few months ago I recall seeing a YouTube video showing a Tesla with a tandem bike in the rear, seats folded flat. Front wheel off of course. Search YouTube...

@ecarfan - that is true but I want to avoid the hassle of getting a bike rack installed and like the peace of mind of having the bike in the car.
Adding a roof rack or rear rack decreases range and there are weather hassles, etc.

@Lyon - PM on its way

Santana tandem bike with wheels on. Leaves very little room for front passenger.

IMG_2124.jpg

@ecarfan - that is true but I want to avoid the hassle of getting a bike rack installed and like the peace of mind of having the bike in the car.
Adding a roof rack or rear rack decreases range and there are weather hassles, etc.

My post was about a video showing a tandem INSIDE the back of an S with the rear seats down. I think the front wheel was off, but maybe not.

Last edited:
I regularly take my Bike Friday Model T Tikit (Large), but it's not a tandem. It fits, folded (a 15 second process), vertical, in the back, with the rear seats in their normal seating position, so I still have room for a Bob stroller and a couple of small pieces of luggage in the back. It does not fit in the frunk.

Finally purchased a tandem this past Saturday. Turned to 30,000 on the way. First ride was yesterday.

Nice fit! I keep a padded, moving blanket or two in the back cubby of my MS just for carrying bikes when needed. I knew that I could fit a 29er into the back of an MS without taking off the wheels. Good to see a tandem fit with the wheels off.

Have fun!

Nice fit! I keep a padded, moving blanket or two in the back cubby of my MS just for carrying bikes when needed. I knew that I could fit a 29er into the back of an MS without taking off the wheels. Good to see a tandem fit with the wheels off.

Have fun!

I have Lloyd's rubber mats throughout my car and a mover's blanket, but I picked up a second one yesterday.
The sheets are mainly there to help protect in ingress/egress.

Hello Northwest,

I have a 20 year old tandem which has served us well however I retired the minivan (perfect tandem & pinball mover 😉) when I got the Model S. I'd like to avoid a roof rack (been there, pre-minivan) or a trailer hitch thingy if possible.

Thanks in advance,
/Ed
Hello, I am currently in your shoes and have a post out there about same; wondering what solution did you arrive at and was it equivalent to your previous state (of using a minivan)?