Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally 120KW Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice on this video review at around 5:54 that they are supercharging at 114KW in Columbus, TX. Is this because of new firmware? I like how Tesla is just sneaking in the new charging speed.

Any ideas?

Update: The 6:54 was wrong. 5:54 is correct. Dyslexic moment. Too many fives. :tongue:

Last edited:
I notice on this video review at around 6:54 that they are supercharging at 114KW in Columbus, TX. Is this because of new firmware? I like how Tesla is just sneaking in the new charging speed.

Any ideas?

I believe that 5.0 and higher support 120kW charging. New cars are shipping with 5.0 or higher these days.

He was actually getting closer to 115 kW with 88 miles in the battery. Closer to empty, he probably could have gotten the full 120 kW. Also, note that 88 miles at 400 mph is a little less than 15 minutes of charge time. If we take that 15 minutes of calculated time plus his about an hour to get to "almost full", then it is consistent with the graph on the Supercharger page that shows empty to full in 75 minutes, 1 hour 15 minutes.

I am anxiously awaiting 5.6 or whatever gets pushed to us in the (hopefully) near future so that I can Supercharge FASTER!

Yes I believe its because of rev 5.0. I got Supercharged in Atascadero last week at peaks of 341 mph and 112 kW with about 80 miles remaining in the Model S85 I had just picked up from Fremont. :)

I have said this before, but it is important to remember that the charging rate shown on the Model S display is the average rate for the entire charging session. If you want to know the charging rate that is happening now, do a little calculation of Amps x Volts / 300 Wh/mi to get mph charging rate.

If you take 120 kW / 300 Wh/mi, you get the Tesla 400 mph charging rate or 200 miles in half an hour they talk about...

Last edited:
I had the Newark, DE supercharger all to myself and had 262-263 mi/hr speeds at the peak with 5.0 firmware.

image_13.jpeg

That's what we have been told. When I asked at the Woodburn opening the Tesla person responsible for the SC rollout in the Northwest said that all new superchargers would be ready for 120kW

Here is a picture of the info plate of one of the bays of the Silverthorne, CO Supercharger.

Supercharger Plate.JPG

With a 480V 3-phase, Wye connection, you get 277 Volts per phase, and the plate says the max current is 160 Amps. 3 phases * 277 * 160 Amps = 133 kW or a little more than the 120 kW of new chargers. If you can see the electrical plate with similar limits and it is connected to 480 Volt, 3-phase service, then its a pretty good chance that it is a 120 kW Supercharger.

Note this one is serial number 61, so they have not made that many, but at 2-4 per Supercharger, you don't need that many.

With a 480V 3-phase, Wye connection, you get 277 Volts per phase, and the plate says the max current is 160 Amps. 3 phases * 277 * 160 Amps = 133 kW or a little more than the 120 kW of new chargers. If you can see the electrical plate with similar limits and it is connected to 480 Volt, 3-phase service, then its a pretty good chance that it is a 120 kW Supercharger.

The plate also lists a 240V delta configuration @ 280A, which is 115 kW. I haven't seen any plates with a lower current rating yet, so I think it's just a matter of software!

Here is a picture of the info plate of one of the bays of the Silverthorne, CO Supercharger.
Note this one is serial number 61, so they have not made that many, but at 2-4 per Supercharger, you don't need that many.

Nice pic. But what is strange is that the specs match exactly the 2012-vintage supercharger specs posted in the Wiki for serial number 7. Also the DC output power on this unit is limited to 90kW. I believe when supercharging the car is reading out DC values for voltage and current, and would not know or care about the AC input into the rectifier stack.

Nice pic. But what is strange is that the specs match exactly the 2012-vintage supercharger specs posted in the Wiki for serial number 7. Also the DC output power on this unit is limited to 90kW. I believe when supercharging the car is reading out DC values for voltage and current, and would not know or care about the AC input into the rectifier stack.

Good points, I will give it a try when I go back by there in a month or so with a nearly empty battery and 5.6; we will see what it gives me... I wondered about 200 Amp limit that, too. Here is a picture from a few weeks ago when I had 4.5 in the car, and I got 250 Amps and 88.5 kW from one of the Silverthorne Superchargers.

BTW, this picture is a good example of the hidden miles below zero. If you look at the battery, it is about 20%. 20% of 260 miles is 52 miles; 52 miles minus the 34 showing is 18 miles; that is very close to claimed 17 rated miles left below zero in an 85.

250-Amps.PNG

BTW, this picture is a good example of the hidden miles below zero. If you look at the battery, it is about 20%. 20% of 260 miles is 52 miles; 52 miles minus the 34 showing is 18 miles; that is very close to claimed 17 rated miles left below zero in an 85.
This keeps getting reported and we have had quite a few people now who ended up testing this hypothesis and concluded those tests on flatbed trucks. At least on a 60 the "reserve" appears to be fewer than 5 rated miles. Not sure what the furthest is someone has gone past zero in an 85, but I seriously doubt that it's three times as far.