Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abandoned Nissan Leaf In Palo Alto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
heh.. Anyone spot this? I haven't noticed it myself.

Electric-Car Mystery: Doorless, Abandoned Nissan Leaf In Palo Alto - GreenCarReports

abandoned-nissan-leaf-electric-car-in-palo-alto-california-oct-2013_100444162_l.jpg

... a blue 2012 Nissan Leaf has now been parked for several months on Palo Alto's main drag, El Camino Real.

It's easy to spot: It's missing its driver's door.

The car is located just south of Charleston Road, where McLaren and Volvo dealerships and a Tesla Store are located.

The car may have been there as long as six months, Wahlman says, certainly more than three months.

I wonder if it's the same one as the other door-less one at Palo Alto, CA: Is it legal to drive a Nissan leaf without doors? - Quora.

IIRC, it's been posted about a bunch of times at the SF Bay Leafs Facebook group and someone pointed to the above Quora URL. It also contains the answer (which is somewhat buried) as to why.
Is it legal to drive a Nissan leaf without doors?

I called the Palo Alto police department before taking the doors off of my new electric golf cart (2012 Nissan leaf). I obtained verbal permission from the sergeant and he said that it was legal as there "is no difference between a jeep and a Nissan leaf."

Over the last three weeks, I have been pulled over four times for probable cause, but today the police sergeant that pulled me over strongly advised that I put the doors back on. After doing some research, he concluded: It's legal for motorcycles & off-road vehicles, like jeeps, not to have doors, but normal vehicles need to have them.
As for why:
Short answer: Freedom and a greater sense of connection to the surrounding world.
Long answer: I was going to get a Model S and then realized that for 1/2 the price I could get a Honda Civic Hybrid, Nissan Leaf, Columbia SM4, and 3 LocalMotion units to share the vehicles with my friends and always know where they are. After doing this for a few months, I found that I didn't really have a use for the leaf. For all trips under 35 miles, I would take the golf cart and for all trips over 60 miles, I would take the civic.

I was drinking hot chocolate in the columbia three weeks ago and realized why I liked driving the golf cart so much. No doors not only removed the friction of getting in and out of the vehicle, but also felt amazing when going less than 35mph (ask any jeep owner). It also is better than a convertible because the roof still provides protection from the rain.

I immediately golf carted home, called the PA Police Department, removed 16 bolts, put tape over the driver's side door push button switch (to stop the beeping sound), and installed a new sound system (speakers are in the leaf doors).

Do you mean this one? (don't do web sites that I have to sign in first time)
Range Extension? | Tesla Owner

That one had all four doors missing.

I wonder if it's the same one as the other door-less one at Palo Alto, CA: Is it legal to drive a Nissan leaf without doors? - Quora.

IIRC, it's been posted about a bunch of times at the SF Bay Leafs Facebook group and someone pointed to the above Quora URL. It also contains the answer (which is somewhat buried) as to why.

As for why: