Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breezewood/Bedford (PA) Supercharger (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its time to start a thread on hunting for this Supercharger. Odds are it is key for Elon's cross country trip.

There are good arguments for both the Bedford and Breezewood locations, I am leaning towards Breezewood PA.

Location speculation:

Location #1 "Gateway" Travel Plaza, big enough and has everything you could want for a 20-30 minute stop.
Location #2 Former Exxon Gas Station -- McDonalds and Denny's -- and I think the land is owned by the same as the Denny's

I have a few trips planned over the next month, Ill ask some questions when we do our normal stops.

I've done this trip with my wife and kids, and it will be nice not to have to worry about the weather and the mountain climbs in the winter.

I agree the Gateway travel plaza would be the most logical place for a Breezewood supercharger.

If it's in Bedford, from the point of view of amenities I'd have trouble imagining it anywhere but the Weis shopping center on Route 30 (Bedford Square Plaza?). In fact that's probably right around the center of that low-res big red dot, i.e. somewhat between the I-99 and I-70 interchanges with the Turnpike. That's also the downside of that location -- it looks like it's ~10 minutes away from the intersection of the Turnpike and I-99. There are also a few restaurants and hotels/motels right by the Turnpike interchange, but it looks pretty sparse on Street View.

Based on my first two experiences in mild weather, I'm hesitant to make the trip from DC to Pittsburgh in the winter without a supercharger in Bedford/Breezewood or Hagerstown. As of now I'm tentatively scheduled to go back at the end of January.

(While we're speculating, I'm guessing the Hagerstown supercharger will be at the outlets off I-70 exit 29. Although I could also see it at Valley Mall or any of the other big shopping centers off I-81 exit 5.)

It seems clear by now that the map dots are only first approximations, or first (hoped for) locations. It seems that sometimes Tesla has to flex to find a compliant host site that is still in the strategic sweet spot.

For example, the southern Oregon locations were changed quite a bit from the first maps.

The rollout map in my mind was created by a drunken art student looking to create a visually pleasing image, not by someone with an actual clue about the topic at hand like a cartographer or transportation network analyst might have.

Agreed, I prefer Bedford for several reasons. It will be interesting to see where these end up, I get the feeling things are in a state of flux still.

I never saw anything happen with the PennDOT Level 3s, but I think those were slated to be Oakmont, New Stanton, King of Prussia and Bowmansville. Nothing at New Stanton or Oakmont last I checked.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those stations will be up soon. I drive from DC to outside of Toledo to visit family. I don't think we'll have anything for the holidays, but something in time for spring break would be nice. I'm with Fryfrye on this one. I've made it in good weather, but the margins were tight enought that I know the winter weather would be a bigger challenge.

Somerset should be manageable from DC in most cases. It's ~175 miles from Arlington/DC, so any fully-charged 85 kWh model should be able to make it easily. It might still be a stretch for a 60 and/or in extremely cold weather though.

I do still think Breezewood is a more sensible location, followed by Bedford. But if there are superchargers in Hagerstown, Somerset, and in/near Harrisburg, that would probably eliminate the need for one in Breezewood/Bedford.

I'm pretty disappointed that this past spring's announcement of "summer" EV charging on the PA turnpike has amounted to nothing whatsoever so far.

Definitely Somerset, and Cranberry also. Interestingly, there is no dot near Carlisle. I wonder if SCs can materialize even if not preceded by a dot. I would expect to see one there eventually, for I-76 and I-81 traffic.

Youngstown/Lordstown, OH is gone, replaced with what is likely Macedonia, OH just off I-80, with another SC up on I-90 in Cleveland.

We are sorely in need of a SC in Erie, PA.

Again, assuming the dot placement has any accuracy at all-- the other has to be Hagerstown as it is clearly east of Breezewood and in line with 70/81 interchange.

Digressing...
The dot on I-80 still looks to be DuBois but I swear it has moved east closer to Clearfield than it was before (comparing to the green areas that appear to be the state parks flanking US219). I suppose that would be my hypothetical jumping off charge for points north but would leave me with another 225 miles to my usual destination... usually in winter... with lots of elevation changes. <sigh>

Looks like next one on I-80 is at the interchange with I-81 south of Wilkes-Barre-- which is far out of my roadtrippin' way, unfortunately.

Can't say it enough: I-90 Erie, PLEASE. Tesla, PLEASE.

The image below was taken from Tesla's 2015 map, with maximum zoom in Chrome. All this is speculation, of course, and Tesla has made it abundantly clear that these maps are subject to change substantially.

I agree with @Newscutter: zooming in on the region, and PA in particular, makes a stronger case that the dot near the PA/MD border is centered on the intersection of I-70 and I-81, i.e. it's Hagerstown. It also makes it look like Tesla intends traffic between NJ/Philly and Pittsburgh/Ohio to detour north or south, primarily using I-95 (Newark DE) + I-70 (presumably Hagerstown & Somerset) or I-80 (looks like Hazleton & DuBois/Clearfield), rather than taking I-76 through Harrisburg, even through 2015. I imagine that's somewhat disappointing for Philly-Pittsburgh travelers, as it adds ~45 minutes to a 4.75-hour trip, plus supercharging/break time. I also imagine that if enough Philly-Pittsburgh travelers contacted Tesla, they could be convinced to add another supercharger in Harrisburg/Carlisle. (And Erie, for that matter.)

As for disappearing / moving dots in general, in the giant Supercharger thread, @4SUPER9 posted an email exchange with Tesla where they admitted that a few dots hadn't transferred properly to the new maps. I dunno if they've fixed them all yet.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...etwork/page120?p=514799&viewfull=1#post514799

Tesla-2015.png

I would not be surprised to see Carlisle added to this mix, perhaps as a forgotten dot. Recall the Elon trip map...I swear that shows a Carlisle dot:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386159764.044316.jpg

I agree with Newscutter, the most glaring and troubling omission is Erie, PA. We need to keep telling them this. I have even been looking for property along the I-90 exits myself, thinking that they might bite if they had a landowner offering them a good site! Unfortunately the commercial lots near the restaurants are a tad expensive for that limited purpose.