Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - second thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have been following the Tesla story for a while now, have my stock options purchased, not a lot, but a little.

Just wondering how the rest of the potential UK market is feeling for the Model S car now we have some reasonable user experience to fall upon?

Having the charger installed and ready to go I am still finding the UK price of £55,000 basic just a little too much.

Incentives are at £5000 for a plug-in, 100% business write down, but no VAT re-claim.

The cost of the car, depreciation, no petrol costs, cost of ownership I still feel this comes down to a lifestyle choice and not a "the numbers work here" decision. I would love to have the car, but still uncertain.

How is the rest of the early adoption UK purchasers feeling right now as it is about to hit the market? In Germany it seems only about 100 were sold for July/August, Norway they flew off the shelves due to their huge incentives to go electric.

Do we have UK figures yet for reservations and possible real world purchasing numbers? My feeling is it will be quite low as per Germany.

Or have I read this all wrong. Residuals will be strong due to their rarity, plus would any dealer take them used or perhaps there is a UK market waiting for the used examples to go in for their first purchase? But that would be a year away I imagine.

Any thoughts out there, has anyone put down a deposit recently based on the store opening and fresh UK press bubbling away? Or do I wait for the Model X which must be at least 2016 for the UK or best end of 2015?

Cheers
Dan43 Cotswolds/London
Want to consider Model S for my daily 98 mile each way commute, M40 corridor, only charging stations I found are at Oxford Services

Not sure how far up the M40 you go, but I think there are some chargers at my favourite services, Warwick

Warwick services - Motorway Services Online

According to that there's some ecotricity chargers (obviously not very high powered).

Elon also mentioned about supercharger network over the UK.

I think it is expensive, with the amount of money being spent on the Model S (not that I could afford one, but if I could), I think I would prefer something like a Jaguar F Type (bit of Tesla blasphemy right there). I also don't think the Model S suits the UK with the size. If the Model E is the S but smaller, I will be on the list.

Cheekily I was asking people their place numbers at the launch event. The highest reservation number I was given was sub 200 for someone recently signed up. (Obviously I didn't speak to everyone, so small sample size, but I guess indicative.)

So I expect that the UK isn't going to be awash with Model S's anytime soon. TBH this suits me fine.

My preference for cars is based more on "individuality" than "social expectation" (I had an Exige as a daily driver for 5 years, so I can live with being different :tongue: ) . I see so many Jag XF's / 5 series / E Class / Audi 5+6s everyday, that while undoubtedly good cars, they just don't float my boat.

The thing that really convinced me was seeing the car in the flesh for the first time. It just has an air of quality about it, hard to put your finger on, but seemed much more polished than I'd been expecting.

w.r.t. to cost, I suspect base MS60 is going to cost me the same as an equivalent diesel 5 series. After corp tax rebate, the <55K Elon mentioned, will work out as equivalent to c. £40k, or in other words a 530D BMW. Over 3 years the BMW would cost me personally £12k+ in tax, and my company £3.5k in ERS NI, the model S £0 (no BIK.). Obviously this is based on cash vs cash purchase. The BMW would be far more likely contract hired...

The P85 is a different story for me, I'm currently thinking I'll drop the difference on a track-day toy. I have no use for the range (6 mile commute) and the performance is bordering on overkill for public roads. (I'm obviously getting old :redface: )

Residuals are my biggest worry and Elon was noncommittal on bringing over the US style guarantees.

Si

I do find it strange that private purchase decisions to buy an EV seem to have to be justified by ROI calculations, I don't know anyone who bought a regular car and did an ROI calculation (business users aside) so why do people expect you to do it for an EV.

I have never bought a car in my life and worried about what it will be worth in 3 years time, I buy the car I want and enjoy it, its an emotional purchase not a business transaction.

I do find it strange that private purchase decisions to buy an EV seem to have to be justified by ROI calculations,…

I think it is because we've been taught to expect a premium for the EV/Eco feature over the similar ride. A few months ago when I was shopping for a replacement commuter car as a bridge between my current high mileage/low mpg car and a future Tesla I looked at several models in the $35-$45,000 range and found that the difference in price for the EV/eco features always came out to roughly the savings at the pump. I would be spending the same amount of money either at the gas station or giving it to the automaker up front. Manufacturers/dealers do the calculation and set the expectation for us when they set the prices. Witness Tesla's own site; they lay out the calculation in detail with sliders.