Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Winter Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i changed the tires today (While it was snowing :), what can i say i like to cut it close)

i got these wheels from Tire rack and the tires are Pirrelli Winter carving edge (Studdable but i didnt get them studded as thats over kill where i am)
decided not to get TPMS as i feel its useless, these are also run flats, in the winter i visually check every time i get into my car as well as once every 2 weeks i adjust the inflation due to temp changes

Stock lugs are 21mm (these things are beastly)
Stock torque is 130lbs
Stock Inflation is 42PSI but i like to go to 45psi just incase it drops temp rapidly.

1.jpg

DSC01694.JPG

DSC01695.JPG

DSC01702.JPG

DSC01703.JPG

DSC01718.JPG

Ordered Rial Lugano's from TireRack in September. They have shipped and will be here tomorrow, according to UPS.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all....

:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Ac1k, which wheels are those and later this week when it is nice can you take a side shot outside, they look good. Also looks like you have your garage outfitted nicely!

decided not to get TPMS as i feel its useless, these are also run flats, in the winter i visually check every time i get into my car as well as once every 2 weeks i adjust the inflation due to temp changes

Stock lugs are 21mm (these things are beastly)

Looks great. How are the tires in the snow?

I thought TPMS was mandatory with run-flats. They won't "look flat" just by visual inspection.

after driving to work today, the model S should REALLY have heated side mirrors by default like every other car here, the second you go into a parkade they are useless.
defrost works ok for the windshield but NOT for the side windows, that should really be addressed but im sure they know about it already

They look to me like Avarus AV-8's... (from memory looking at wheels on tirerack).

Correct

Looks great. How are the tires in the snow?

I thought TPMS was mandatory with run-flats. They won't "look flat" just by visual inspection.

this car will NOT let you slide around with TC on, not even close, however it wont completely cut power like my older cars (fuel cutoff if wheel spin is detected)
i feel pretty confident in any snowy condition with this setup, i have air suspension so if its really heavy snow ill just bump up the car

TPMS is kind of annoying, there are 2 rapidly flashing lights after 25kms of not detecting the sensors in the wheels but it emits no annoying audible noise

with tirerack you can choose either or, i dont think its manditory, i can tell if runflats are low on air by kicking them

I thought that applied to any newer low-profile tire, not just run-flats.

@AC1K: Nasty; snow before Halloween! I guess I can't complain about our light dusting too much.

yeah pretty lame, but my costume is pretty heavy and thick so im glad its cold out (im being both swat and a ghillie suited sniper)

Attachments

• 20131028_070305.jpg
    20131028_070305.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 242
after driving to work today, the model S should REALLY have heated side mirrors by default like every other car here, the second you go into a parkade they are useless.
defrost works ok for the windshield but NOT for the side windows, that should really be addressed but im sure they know about it already

Do you have the upgraded vent for cold climate?

yeah pretty lame, but my costume is pretty heavy and thick so im glad its cold out (im being both swat and a ghillie suited sniper)

So would that mean you're a ghillie-suited SWAT sniper then? My grandma would always make me awesome costumes when I was a kid, but then I'd have to bundle up in a parka and snow boots. The only clue I was even wearing a costume was the mask (if applicable). :crying: I'm used to snow this early here in Saskatchewan, but is it normal for Calgary?

after driving to work today, the model S should REALLY have heated side mirrors by default like every other car here, the second you go into a parkade they are useless

I'm pretty sure the Model S does have heated side mirrors, but they come on only when the rear defroster is on. We had a couple of ice storms last March and my side mirrors were blocks of ice. I turned on the rear defroster and the ice melted fairly quickly. The only problem was that the water drained back into the mechanism and re-froze making it impossible to adjust the mirrors. Not a big deal for me because I don't use the Auto-Tilt feature, but if you do, I'm not sure it would be a good thing if the mirrors tried to move while frozen in place.

Do you have the upgraded vent for cold climate?

i have 2 upgrades sitting in my garage, 1 for me, 1 for... some other guy :) the Tech will be out later to install them, however defrost works even without the upgrade, im sure it will just defrost faster.

So would that mean you're a ghillie-suited SWAT sniper then? My grandma would always make me awesome costumes when I was a kid, but then I'd have to bundle up in a parka and snow boots. The only clue I was even wearing a costume was the mask (if applicable). :crying: I'm used to snow this early here in Saskatchewan, but is it normal for Calgary?

for the morning ill be a ghillie sniper, for the evening/party ill be SWAT, calgary has strange weather, sometimes it will snow and then rain, and then be sunny and 15Cm all in the same day. sometimes we have a brown christmas.

I'm pretty sure the Model S does have heated side mirrors, but they come on only when the rear defroster is on. We had a couple of ice storms last March and my side mirrors were blocks of ice. I turned on the rear defroster and the ice melted fairly quickly. The only problem was that the water drained back into the mechanism and re-froze making it impossible to adjust the mirrors. Not a big deal for me because I don't use the Auto-Tilt feature, but if you do, I'm not sure it would be a good thing if the mirrors tried to move while frozen in place.

i think only the new models have it that are equipped with power heated and folding mirrors.

i think only the new models have it that are equipped with power heated and folding mirrors.

Mine definitely are heated. I can't remember, but it might have been part of the Tech Pkg. when I purchased. Tesla seems notorious for surreptitiously adding and removing stuff (fog lights, anyone?) and maybe the heated option went away and is coming back with the power folding option.

Are those ASA "Sport Edition" rims in your first pic for your other car? Look like 18s? I have similar rims left over from M3 ownership and am wondering whether they will fit the MS.

this car will NOT let you slide around with TC on, not even close, however it wont completely cut power like my older cars (fuel cutoff if wheel spin is detected)
Having slid downhill on ice at 40 mph (ahem), the front end broke loose, and then the traction control took over; the traction control is actually very nicely tuned, it's not just a cutoff.

I've also had traction control kick in when gunning it from 0 to 30 uphill on wet roads -- less than half a second of delay in launch. It backs off until it regains traction, which happens *very* fast, and then stays at that level, rather than "cutting power".

Having slid downhill on ice at 40 mph (ahem), the front end broke loose, and then the traction control took over; the traction control is actually very nicely tuned, it's not just a cutoff.

I've also had traction control kick in when gunning it from 0 to 30 uphill on wet roads -- less than half a second of delay in launch. It backs off until it regains traction, which happens *very* fast, and then stays at that level, rather than "cutting power".

yeah i should of worded that better

Tesla = no abrupt cut in power, only backing power down until traction is regained
Gas powered flintstone cars = fuel cut off, abrupt loss of power,

also, my energy efficiency went to complete CRAP with these tires, i cannot hyper mile the 170Wh/km like i could with the continentals, im getting like 220Wh/km now (horrible)

that and the traction is a joke on dry pavement, oh well, cant have everything i guess,