Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Farmington, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Farmington wasn't even on the 2015 map. Since it isn't anywhere near an Interstate highway and isn't very useful in isolation, it begs the question of what other superchargers are planned in the region. Hopefully they're working on the I-40 corridor, like maybe Gallup, Holbrook, and Flagstaff.

It makes sense for Elon's family trip this winter across the country. He said earlier this year that the Four Corners is potentially one of his stops along his trip.

Image from Tesla Motors/Businessweek: http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-plans-model-s-road-trip-2013-9

screen shot 2013-05-30 at 2.37.34 pm.png

And see Elon driving cross-country - Page 9 for some more thoughts of mine on what will happen.

The biggest winners from this should be the Phoenix MS owners that will get connected to Southern California and Colorado this winter!

Time to start looking for Supercharger permits in Kingman, Flagstaff, Williams and/or Holbrook...

For reference, Kingman to Flagstaff is 150 miles -- but has a net elevation gain of just under 3600 ft -- but its 9100 up, and 5500 down. So the elevation change reduces range about 40 miles. Throw in some heating in winter or cooling summer, and a 60 won't be able to make it -- even driving 15 below the posted limit. I'm thinking Williams would be a better position -- and may be likely since it is a gateway to the Grand Canyon. Holbrook is ~125 miles from Williams, so is at the right distance. Its also positioned well to allow trips to the Petrified Forrest or Canyon de Chelly.

Holbrook is 205 miles to Farmington, so is reachable in an 85, so supports the Musk Family Truckster trip...

This is awesome and a complete surprise. I am from Aztec (10 miles from Farmington) and although I hear a station will go in which is exciting - it doesn't make much sense to me. Unless it is only for the purpose of driving through the country on a road trip. The majority of vehicles in this area is pick-up trucks, SUVs and it is a "dirty" place due to the high desert climate. Not many people value expensive cars in this area.

This is awesome and a complete surprise. I am from Aztec (10 miles from Farmington) and although I hear a station will go in which is exciting - it doesn't make much sense to me. Unless it is only for the purpose of driving through the country on a road trip. The majority of vehicles in this area is pick-up trucks, SUVs and it is a "dirty" place due to the high desert climate. Not many people value expensive cars in this area.

Technically all super chargers are for road trips. As the above posters point out, and as I failed to consider, this does in fact mesh with the Musk family cross country winter trip that has been announced. This seems to be the reason it precedes superchargers along much more high traffic road trip interstates that I was pining for in my own self interest.

Technically all super chargers are for road trips. As the above posters point out, and as I failed to consider, this does in fact mesh with the Musk family cross country winter trip that has been announced. This seems to be the reason it precedes superchargers along much more high traffic road trip interstates that I was pining for in my own self interest.

My son has many friends in LA and I have many friends in San Diego. We have been talking for a while about the Southern California road trip this winter when the Supercharger support is ready. I had assumed that it would be along the I-70 to I-15 route shown on the Tesla Motors Supercharger Map, being ready in "Winter 2014." However with this announcement (leak) that there is a Supercharger coming to Farmington, NM, we may be backtracking the start of Elon's route soon after he heads east. Both are interesting routes, but the possible Elon route through Farmington has more time off the interstate which I like better.

I hope that this is the beginning of Supercharger installs on many, interesting, off-interstate routes! :biggrin:

cross country route

The Farmington location has been confirmed as part of Elon's cross country route. A press release should post soon with more details including the exact address about 2 blocks east of Animas Valley Mall. I'm also hoping for one more supercharger somewhere in southwest Colorado as Grand Junction is a stretch in a 60...

The Farmington location has been confirmed as part of Elon's cross country route. A press release should post soon with more details including the exact address about 2 blocks east of Animas Valley Mall. I'm also hoping for one more supercharger somewhere in southwest Colorado as Grand Junction is a stretch in a 60...

See 4 Corners EV Charging. There is a 70 Amp J1772 in Pagosa Springs now and a 70 Amp J1772 that should be running in Salida by Thanksgiving.

Did you order your dual chargers? :wink:

Farmington NM is 300 miles from Glenwood Springs CO Supercharger, ouch!! Will this be the first instance of an SC that is umbillically disconnected from the rest of the network? Only makes sense if SC @Grand Jctn CO is built concurrently. [Joy!!]
--

Farmington NM is 300 miles from Glenwood Springs CO Supercharger, ouch!! Will this be the first instance of an SC that is umbillically disconnected from the rest of the network? Only makes sense if SC @Grand Jctn CO is built concurrently. [Joy!!]
--

There may be neighboring superchargers by the time Farmington is installed. It looks like Quartzsite AZ and Mitchell SD will be temporarily isolated but connecting superchargers will be built soon.

Sorry for the nonsense post, but there is a city near Minneapolis named Farmington and I have now been fooled 5 times by reading "Farmington, NM" as "Farmington, MN" thinking we are getting an SC nearby!

Gotta love dyslexia... You'll enjoy this story then:

I had a business trip a few years back to Milan (airport code MPS), with a connection through Minneapolis (airport code MSP). When I got to Milan, my checked bag never came off the flight. Turns out that while the agent gave me my boarding passes to get me to Milan, she typo'd the destination for the bag as MSP, not MPS... But the bag was found and delivered to my hotel about 26 hours later...