Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Shape of Alternative Power - The New York Times > Automobiles > Slide Show > Slide 24 of 28

26460866.JPG

Yes they have mentioned several times that they would make 2 versions of the Model S one with "half" battery and one with "full" battery. The half gives around 150 miles. What hasn't been very clear though is if the $57 000 is with the half or full, most probably half size.
There was a discussion about this in the Model S forum earlier.

Cobos

Its all kind of moot, isn't it? Right now the specs and dollar figures are speculative at best, and there is no way of knowing what the actual costs of the car, and therefore price, will be. At this point it is really about goals. The biggest assumption that will drive actual pricing is where cell costs come in.

That being said, the lowest price talked about (ex. tax credit) of about $57,000 refers to the lowest range model, the goal of which is to have a 160 mile EPA range at beginning of life.

Personally, I don't see the point of the lower range version and think they should only market the higher range version. The lower range version will cross-cannibalize the higher range model and they will end up being more problematic over time due to cycle life issues.

IMHO, some people will welcome a lower range version. Many people drive less than 50 miles a day, and would not be coming anywhere near full cycle on the pack on a daily basis. The reduced price could get some customers that would otherwise pass. Plus the reduced weight should help with vehicle dynamics.

--

Something I was pondering recently is the Ferrari / Maserati dealership down El Camino (from the MP store) may be hurting by all this. Between the economic downturn, the Roadster probably cutting into Ferrari sales, and now the 'Model S' threatening to steal some Maserati sales.

Its all kind of moot, isn't it?

Maybe if someone was saying "about half the price of the Roadster", or "projecting under $60K", but the stuff we see quotes very specific amounts (e.g.: $57,499 - $7,500 rebate) which sounds like more of a promise than a projection.

Tesla’s CEO Prices the Model S Electric Sedan at $57,499 But Says Needs Government Assistance to Launch it | GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site
At an interview in California, Tesla CEO Elon Musk publicly disclosed that the upcoming all-electric Model S sedan will be priced at $57,499.

Greentech Media | Tesla Coughs Up Sedan Price, Details on Economy Car
Speaking at the Tesla dealership in Menlo Park, Calif., company CEO Elon Musk revealed that its all-electric passenger sedan, the Model S, will be priced at $57,499. The government will offer a $7,500 tax credit to bring the price to $49,999.

When people put deposits down soon are they expecting to get that price in 2011/2012?

When people put deposits down soon are they expecting to get that price in 2011/2012?

I would say YES !!! This is going to be a totally different crowd than the Roadster buyers IMHO. These people are going to be much closer to middle class and if you raise the price at the last minute they will walk. I know that this will be at my upper limit as it is now so I am not even sure that I will be able to afford it especially if they raise the price.

You ever sees those car ads with fine print at the bottom saying "1 at this price"?

Or the price only applies to a base model with no options, but many things you need are optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
No what I am saying is that if I pick the base at 57K that is what I am going to want at the time i get the car. If I pick base + options at 62K then that is what I want in the end when it is delivered. Changing base options in the future with this crowd is not going to fly anywhere the same as it did with the Roadster

No what I am saying is that if I pick the base at 57K that is what I am going to want at the time i get the car. If I pick base + options at 62K then that is what I want in the end when it is delivered. Changing base options in the future with this crowd is not going to fly anywhere the same as it did with the Roadster

It's interesting to hear you say that, because the Model S is kinda my wish as well and it is already a bit above my comfort zone for a car. I really really want a nice electric car for many reasons but if the $49000 model is too stripped down it might be out of my league...

So any big changes down the line would definately be a dealbreaker for me. I don't see why I should do a deposit either, as Tesla has shown it's no point except for securing a place in line. This is of course one of the reasons I'm as eager as anyone for march 26th. :)

Cobos

I don't see why I should do a deposit either, as Tesla has shown it's no point except for securing a place in line.

Cobos

I completely agree there ... I can see no reason to make a deposit especially with their history of raising prices. If I was really LOCKING IN a price then I could see a deposit however that appears from the past not to be the case. And raising prices on a less affluent crowd will not bode so well.

Assuming someone hasn't come to take my keys away by then, my current thoughts are to drive the Roadster for 3 or 4 years until it's too hard to get in and out of the car and then trade it in for a Model S. That would work well, assuming by then there is a market for used Roadsters. It would let me still practice my smaller footprint plan, but let my shrinking backside have a little more comfort. :rolleyes:

I would say YES !!! This is going to be a totally different crowd than the Roadster buyers IMHO. These people are going to be much closer to middle class and if you raise the price at the last minute they will walk. I know that this will be at my upper limit as it is now so I am not even sure that I will be able to afford it especially if they raise the price.

I am right there with you! I would however drop a deposit based on two primary factors: deposit amount and range. That 150-mile range can become a limiting factor given the price. It does not appear TM is taking recent battery advancements into consideration.