Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First RHD delivery in UK March 2014 - Elon Musk to delivery himself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the twitter feed I saw last night, Elon mentioned that the 1st delivery in the UK was to a very important person and that he would deliver it himself.

Was the feed correct and if so who do you think the recipient will be?

I messed up the thread title but the OP title is corrected. In case it's useful, cross-linking...
2013/10/24 Munich video and rough notes

- - - Updated - - -

According to the twitter feed I saw last night, Elon mentioned that the 1st delivery in the UK was to a very important person and that he would deliver it himself.

Was the feed correct ...
Yes. On both points. Also he said March.

I would have said Prince Charles, but they might need to be seen to promoting British brands (an electric Land Rover)? Branson is a good bet.
A custom paint job on a "family car" for Prince William would be one hell of a PR bonanza.

It might be too soon, but they could indirectly make reference to "road drama" in the recent past (Diana) and the safest car, etc.

It might be too soon, but they could indirectly make reference to "road drama" in the recent past (Diana) and the safest car, etc.
It'll always be too early for that, every anniversary it gets raked over in the media, and new conspiracy stories pop up. My money would be on Branson, he's one of the best publicists around, would be a very smart deal. Maybe with an ironic SpaceX paint job :)

^ if they tried that it would be a PR fail of epic proportions.

Branson was seen testing Roadsters in the past, as was Prince Michael of Kent (patron of the Royal Automobile Club). Damon Hill I know liked the Roadster. Lord March would be another high profile candidate. Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, also drove the Roadster before he took that position.

And the leftfield candidate? JC :)

^ if they tried that it would be a PR fail of epic proportions.

Branson was seen testing Roadsters in the past, as was Prince Michael of Kent (patron of the Royal Automobile Club). Damon Hill I know liked the Roadster. Lord March would be another high profile candidate. Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, also drove the Roadster before he took that position.

And the leftfield candidate? JC :)

I think if JC was tied up and forced into the car, he would spontaneously combust, leading to more media coverage assuming it was a lithium problem !

Whereas James May would be an excellent and objective reviewer. But the BBC might sack him for daring to drive one.

Right now I'd put 50p on it being Branson ..

Last edited:
Elon was on Newsnight just after the UK store launch (check it on iPlayer, 24.10, around 25 minutes into the show). Part way through the interview they briefly discuss Top Gear and JC. Elon admitted that JC was a great entertainer and he enjoys watching some of his stuff. He pointed out that there are two things JC hates with a passion : Electric Cars and American Cars. So when faced with an American Electric car... :)