Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"The Model X will only be offered as all-wheel-drive" - Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post to the Model X forum! :)

Elon Musk just said this at the London store-opening event... like, about 5hrs ago.

Check this video at the 24:10 mark. (horrid bandwidth video, but you can hear what he says)

Tesla London Store Opening reception with Elon Musk - YouTube

Perhaps this is for the U.K. market only? The web site still says RWD will be available.

Last edited by a moderator:
No RWD drive option in the US? Not like I was going to take that option but that should raise the base price of the car about 4 to 6K presumably. Seems odd to not offer RWD as I can't imagine that the motor wouldn't be powerful enough.

Wow. Once again, you heard it here (TMC) first folks! One less option to choose, AWD is the reason I'm waiting for the X. So at least it won't cost "extra", but it sure will cost "more" ! :tongue:
ML

I'm thinking maybe the complexity of the AWD makes the 2 wheel & 4 wheel models so different that they have decided to just go w the more advanced option, at least to start. A lot of people in LA, Atlanta, etc. pay more for 4WD they don't "need"

Last edited:
I don't like this at all. Lower range with same battery size (I'd assume) compared to a 2WD, and higher cost.

For those of us who live in sunny California and never encounter snow or any challenging driving conditions, I'm not sure why it's a good thing that we have to pay more in up-front cost and in energy usage.

I'm increasingly concerned that the Model X is going to be insanely expensive for what it is. Hope I'm wrong :/

Clearly not the only reason but I believe Tesla has determined that without taking advantage of AWD they cannot get enough range out of the larger and heavier Model X. Elon is dead set on a minimum 200 mile range and I don't think the 60 with rear wheel drive can achieve that without leveraging different gear ratios (I know that is the wrong terminology but you get my point).

Re: more power draw from 2 motors
There was a thread (which I will now go look for) in which it was argued that the X will use more power, but only because of its weight, NOT due to having to power another motor for the front wheels. Each motor works less, sharing the work, but the same amount of work, so no extra draw (or negligible extra).

I think there is likely some savings by reducing versions.
Having to build AWD and RWD versions of the Model X is likely more expensive for both. If they decide to make all of the Model X line as AWD, there might be more overall savings because there is less development work (one instead of two versions) and higher volumes for the AWD.

Their think is likely, if someone does not want AWD, then buy a Model S.

I don't like this at all. Lower range with same battery size (I'd assume) compared to a 2WD, and higher cost.

For those of us who live in sunny California and never encounter snow or any challenging driving conditions, I'm not sure why it's a good thing that we have to pay more in up-front cost and in energy usage.

I'm increasingly concerned that the Model X is going to be insanely expensive for what it is. Hope I'm wrong :/

Actually an AWD model X may be more efficient. The two engines can be geared differently, and the car can shift which one is propelling the car. It doesn't always have to be about traction. Similarly, it may be more efficient on regen and less stressful on tires.

Actually an AWD model X may be more efficient. The two engines can be geared differently, and the car can shift which one is propelling the car. It doesn't always have to be about traction. Similarly, it may be more efficient on regen and less stressful on tires.

I'm certainly not an expert, so if this is true, that's definitely a good thing. Hope it doesn't drive up the price too much.
I still hold out hope that we will see a slight bump in battery capacity for the X. Anything less than the range of the 85kw Model S makes it a non-starter for road trips especially if a trailer is involved - something that SUVs are used for far more often than cars.

On the Great Britain site, at http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/modelx the message is that it'll be available in 2WD, AWD, and AWD Performance versions. So either something has changed and the site doesn't reflect that yet, or Elon's wrong.

modelx.jpg

Elon Musk just said this at the London store-opening event... like, about 5hrs ago.
Check this video at the 24:10 mark. (horrid bandwidth video, but you can hear what he says)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsI2ToCGo-A

Elon does not say the X will "only" have AWD, he says it "will" have it. There is a difference. He may well mean that AWD will be an available option.

He also says it "will" have two motors, not that it will "only" be available with two motors.

Elon does not say the X will "only" have AWD, he says it "will" have it. There is a difference. He may well mean that AWD will be an available option.
He also says it "will" have two motors, not that it will "only" be available with two motors.

This is the exact quote (around 24:20):
Elon Musk said:
slightly higher starting price because the Model X will only be offered as AWD, dual motor AWD

So...yah, he kind of did say "only". :)

It may be more efficient, in that it gets more work out of each kWh, but the required energy to propel the Model X will be higher. This is due to two reasons:

- The Model X will have a larger aerodynamic area.
- The Model X will be heavier.

The most important reason is the first one. More interior space = increased energy consumption.