Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 4 mentioned by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From liveblog of today's London store opening:

20:45. Question: When do you feel that there will be a time when the Tesla is more accessible to the mainstream market?
20:45. Answer: “About three years (isn) we will get to a mass market, affordable car. About half the price of the Model S. It’s not that we don’t want it less than that. It’s what we think we can achieve.”
20:46. “It’ll take another generation, three years after that, we’ll get an even more affordable car.” — Ed: Essentially this means Tesla is working on a more affordable car after the Model E.

Source: http://transportevolved.com/2013/10/24/tesla-uk-store-official-opening/

It should come as no surprise that Tesla intends to continue working on newer platforms that are cheaper to manufacture and have better specs. My guess is that about an equal amount of thought has been put into the Gen 4 as has been put into the Gen 10.

To a certain degree you are right. On the other hand, this is a huge insight into their thinking. Some people on this forum have advocated that Tesla should stay in the high end segment. That would make them "the Porsche of EVs". This statement clearly demonstrates that this is absolutely not their plan.

I don't think the statement Elon said reveals anything definitive about how low they intend to go. The reduction between Gen 3 and Gen 4 may be $100, and Elons statement would still be entirely accurate.

It's also possible that Tesla will stay in the higher end of the market, and then make a lower end sub-brand. This is so far into the future that Tesla might no longer exist, or they might be selling 10 million cars a year. Any prediction is complete speculation.

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk reveals Tesla plans to keep making new cars in the future. After making some new cars, more new cars will be made, Elon said in a low-quality video posted on YouTube.

HAHA! Good one. :)

Taking the opposite view, you could write something like:

Tesla boss lets slip surprise downmarket move

During an event in London on October 24, Elon Musk revealed that Tesla plans to move further downmarket after the launch in 2-3 years of the downsized version of the Model S (called Model E). Tesla has in recent years built a luxury car brand, their Model S and Roadster models competing against Ferraris, Porsches and the high-end models of premium brands such as Mercedes and BMW. This focus on the high end has been supported by recent hiring of executives from other high end brands such as Aston Martin and Apple. Although the planned Model E will be more affordable than the Model S, it is unlikely to start lower than $35-40,000 - making it a high end car still. It has been a common assumption that Tesla would not dilute its brand or its margins by dipping into the lower end car segments. It is an open question whether their core competencies in premium design and features will be the right ones for ultra-competitive segments where cost and basic features tend to be more important than the beauty of the car or nifty design detail. Nevertheless, Elon reportedly said that "after Model E, our next car will be even more affordable", although this could not be verified, since a low-quality video posted on Youtube ended before it got to that point of the event.

TESLA STOCK TUMBLES; ELON MUSK ANNOUNCES CHEAP CAR

Munich - The CEO of Tesla Motors, an American company that produces expensive electric vehicles, announced that they would be producing a far less expensive car as the stock price tumbled from $190 USD to $168 USD.

A crowd of stunned Germans at the announcement stood in silence as the Tesla CEO gave the news. No word was given on when, or even if, the much heralded Model S would be cancelled and if plans for a so-called Model X SUV platform car would materialize.

Mr. Musk did not mention if this cheaper car would be more dangerous than the exploding Model S car. Just in the past several weeks, an owner of a Model S was met with fire whilst driving his car down the motorway.

Does this downward spiral of cheaper and possibly more dangerous cars mean the end of TESLA? Will Mr. Musk "cut and run" to yet another venture? Will TESLA cars cause miscarriages in expectant mothers and cancer in the state of California? Will the stock market halt trading of TSLA stock?

John Broeder
New York Times

Munich - The CEO of Tesla Motors, an American company that produces expensive electric vehicles, announced that they would be producing a far less expensive car as the stock price tumbled from $190 USD to $168 USD.

A crowd of stunned Germans at the announcement stood in silence as the Tesla CEO gave the news. No word was given on when, or even if, the much heralded Model S would be cancelled and if plans for a so-called Model X SUV platform car would materialize.

Mr. Musk did not mention if this cheaper car would be more dangerous than the exploding Model S car. Just in the past several weeks, an owner of a Model S was met with fire whilst driving his car down the motorway.

Does this downward spiral of cheaper and possibly more dangerous cars mean the end of TESLA? Will Mr. Musk "cut and run" to yet another venture? Will TESLA cars cause miscarriages in expectant mothers and cancer in the state of California? Will the stock market halt trading of TSLA stock?

John Broeder
New York Times

Please tell me you made that up. I think you did, but you never know these days.

I have no reference, but the service center tech in Tampa told me Tesla has committed to a pickup and newer version of the Roadster after Gen III. Yes, a pickup. At first I thought that was crazy, but when you think about the huge numbers of pickups on the road (most unused for their intended purpose) it kinda makes some sense. For rural residents, it could make a lot of sense.

I have no reference, but the service center tech in Tampa told me Tesla has committed to a pickup and newer version of the Roadster after Gen III. Yes, a pickup. At first I thought that was crazy, but when you think about the huge numbers of pickups on the road (most unused for their intended purpose) it kinda makes some sense. For rural residents, it could make a lot of sense.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info!

When Gen IV rolls around, I think Tesla will have grown to the point that they want to develop multiple new projects at once. I expect the truck to make production between III and IV, and I expect the new roadster to arrive shortly after gen IV. But it depends on what happens in the interim. If they manage to beat their own predictions for price on gen III, there won't be a need to rush on gen IV. However, if the BMW i8 flops, and no other performance EV or plug in hybrids come to the market, it might be important to do a new roadster soon to remind everyone that EVs can be fast and nimble.

John Broeder
New York Times

Is this a joke?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok it's satiric. I understood.

When Gen IV rolls around, I think Tesla will have grown to the point that they want to develop multiple new projects at once. I expect the truck to make production between III and IV, and I expect the new roadster to arrive shortly after gen IV. But it depends on what happens in the interim. If they manage to beat their own predictions for price on gen III, there won't be a need to rush on gen IV. However, if the BMW i8 flops, and no other performance EV or plug in hybrids come to the market, it might be important to do a new roadster soon to remind everyone that EVs can be fast and nimble.

Roadster and pick-up are two different things. Roadster would be a high-end car (and just think what they could do with newer cells) while a pick-up would be geared to a larger market. Pick-up might actually be Gen 4. Pick up is the one that excites me, because Tesla won't stick to the cheap box front end and would be liable to use a variable ride height to improve efficiency. The Model X is a crucial step because it introduces AWD.