Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finland: New Teslas at used car dealerships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HVM

Savolainen
Oct 30, 2012
Finland
Tesla doesn’t have *dealers right? What about all the new Teslas at used car dealerships?

Like here; Finnish used (Premium) car dealership begins to supply Tesla Model Ses: Auto-outlet
Even with list of prices catalogue: Hinnastot

*(Traditional non manufacturer owned car-store & service provider (by law in US and by practice in Europe))

Last edited:
Regarding terminology and "dealership" / "dealer"

Tesla uses the terms "stores" and "galleries", not dealerships. They also use the terms "service center" and "(supercharging) stations". They have reasons for their terminology, and I think we should respect it and use it as appropriate.

Regarding the word "dealership", here's what Wikipedia has to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_dealership
A car dealership or vehicle local distribution is a business that sells new or used cars at the retail level, based on a dealership contract with an automaker or its sales subsidiary.

What this phrasing doesn't indicate clearly is that the "business" and the "automaker or subsidiary" are not bound together in a corporate sense. They are independent entities.

As such, the word dealership does not and cannot apply to Tesla stores until and unless separate incorporations establish a dealership relationship with Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla doesn’t have dealers right? What about all the new Teslas at used car dealerships?
Can you rephrase your question?

I think you're asking "how can Tesla stock or sell used cars if they don't have dealerships". If that's your question, the simple answer is "why not?"

Are Apple stores not allowed to stock and sell used iPads?

Last edited:
Guessing that they will be trying to make some money by offering new or slightly used (?) cars (their own demo examples?) for immediate delivery for a certain premium, since Tesla currently doesn’t have any Stores/Galleries in Finland. Don’t know about service through rangers though. But maybe these dealers can buy a service plan that will follow the car if they in turn sell them.

I believe he is just asking about the dealership in Helsinki which is marketing New Teslas. Has tesla broken their mold and is selling cars through this dealership with some incentive to the dealership? Or is the dealership simply helping you order the car online and possibly taking a commission.

I believe he is just asking about the dealership in Helsinki which is marketing New Teslas. Has tesla broken their mold and is selling cars through this dealership with some incentive to the dealership? Or is the dealership simply helping you order the car online and possibly taking a commission.
Hm. Interesting.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http://www.auto-outlet.fi/ajankohtaista/20

I don't know if the translation is at all accurate but my read of the translated text...
Auto Outlet in Helsinki has launched a unique electric car importation into Finland. Tesla Model.
... is that this is less of a dealership model and more of a 3rd party "import (new?) + re-sell as used" situation.

- - - Updated - - -

I took a look at the one labeled "60kWh Aut." and the pictures show a trunk with a P85+ emblem and a Performance interior. Odd.

The text in the description says that they bough 30 cars with delivery date still this year and that 15 are still available. So yeah, they just bought them in at Tesla price early on and re-sell them locally.

I'm a bit surprised Tesla would allow this, it doesn't seem to fit their mold, I wonder if maybe they didn't know, and this dealer purchased different cars using employees as aliases? a bit odd.

I'm a bit surprised Tesla would allow this, it doesn't seem to fit their mold, I wonder if maybe they didn't know, and this dealer purchased different cars using employees as aliases? a bit odd.

You can't prohibit it. This is simply buying cars at retail and reselling them at retail for a market. The reason most companies don't do it is, well, it's a little hard to resell a car with a markup when people can buy the car straight from the factory.

However, for markets where Tesla isn't selling cars directly, I am not surprised that there are importers buying cars and reselling them at a markup. I'd expect to see this in a number of other countries.

In Finnish tabloid newspaper Ilta-Sanomat, Auto Outlet says it sold fifteen Teslas in this year. Wording is still somewhat careful about Auto Outlet's status as an importer. Auto Outlet "works as official importer" and will be "working with Tesla Motors, even after Tesla opens its own store".

Also there is interesting part about gov. Energy Subsidy for "Environment and Climate positive"-investments for companies communities and municipalities. If you lease a Model S for your company, you can get 18 000 € subsidy! Coz nothing say you are more "Climate positive" than driving a six figure luxury car! ;P

Google translate for lols

("even though the official importer of Nikola Tesla is not yet in Finland")

Last edited:
In Finnish tabloid newspaper Ilta-Sanomat, Auto Outlet says it sold fifteen Teslas in this year. Wording is still somewhat careful about Auto Outlet's status as an importer. Auto Outlet "works as official importer" and will be "working with Tesla Motors, even after Tesla opens its own store".

Also there is interesting part about gov. Energy Subsidy for "Environment and Climate positive"-investments for companies communities and municipalities. If you buy or lease a Model S for your company, you can get 18 000 € subsidy! Coz nothing say you are more "Climate positive" than driving a six figure luxury car! ;P

Google translate for lols

("even though the official importer of Nikola Tesla is not yet in Finland")

I think there might be some misunderstanding of the subsidy part. As far as I know Estonia offers the €18 000 (I'm waiting to see mine pop up in my bank account, they told me they initiated it on Monday, but as it comes from the government they expect it to take 2-3 business days). However in Finland the subsidy that I know of is that you have to take the car into leasing for 5 years and then the government pays for 1/3 of the leasing monthly cost for you the first three months.

There is it, even dealer's name is side of Tesla... ;P
start.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: