Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Just had to put in a line from "Game of Thrones". I have a P85+ coming late November....and live in Toronto. What is everyone planning to do? After research through many of the forums, it appears that some people are frustrated with the price of the Winter package from Tesla (especially the increase) and going with third party rims and tires.

Anyone in Toronto want to provide what they plan to do?

I am swaying between getting third party rims and winter tires from 1010tire or somethere here in Toronto vs. Tesla SC.

Like to know your thoughts.

e4.

Tirerack.com will get you ready. I drove through six New England winters in a RWD G35 coupe on Blizzaks.

Just decide if you want 19" "Performance Winter" tires vs "Studless ice and snow" tires. The performance tires are more like a cold and snow optimized all season.
I like the OZ wheels in 19" as seen in some other tire threads on here.

Tirerack.com will get you ready. I drove through six New England winters in a RWD G35 coupe on Blizzaks.

Just decide if you want 19" "Performance Winter" tires vs "Studless ice and snow" tires. The performance tires are more like a cold and snow optimized all season.
I like the OZ wheels in 19" as seen in some other tire threads on here.

How would you define the "Studless ice and snow" tires?

Living in Toronto you would probably be fine with the "Performance Winter" tires. They are however really not adequate for Montreal or Ottawa driving; for those locations I would recommend the "Studless ice and snow" tires.

Living in Toronto you would probably be fine with the "Performance Winter" tires. They are however really not adequate for Montreal or Ottawa driving; for those locations I would recommend the "Studless ice and snow" tires.

I beg to differ. Toronto surely doesn't get Ottawa type weather, but what we do get is a lot of melt, then re-freeze situations resulting in black ice and some very slippery conditions. It's not so much the snow in the GTA as it is the slippery, icy roads. Combine that with the volume of GTA traffic and any advantage you can get with winter tires could save you the anguish of a fender bender or worse.

To the OP's question: My car came with all-seasons on 19" rims. I plan on installing Nokia Hakka R2's on those rims, and then source out new summer rims over the winter.

I went with the 2,400 USD Tesla 19", TPMS and Pirellis.
Yes, great price. I bought them in July. And the nice thing is, no hassle with how to mount, no hassle from anyone at Tesla that any problems might be related to the rims or the tires. Also, in Wisconsin, the snow is off the roads in no time. 99% of the time, I am driving on very cold roads with no snow.

YMMV

I just ordered the Nokian R2's ( $306 a tire) from TiresByWeb.com and had them shipped to UPS store in Lewiston, free (they cannot ship those tires to Canada). They only have 8 left, if anybody else is tardy in their winter tire buying.

I just ordered the Nokian R2's ( $306 a tire) from TiresByWeb.com and had them shipped to UPS store in Lewiston, free (they cannot ship those tires to Canada). They only have 8 left, if anybody else is tardy in their winter tire buying.

Sounds as if Ryan at TiresByWeb.com didn't anticipate the demand from Tesla owners.

I had a set of Nokian Hakka R2's installed today, I called three local Nokian dealers, price was not consistent:

Direct Tire was $324.96/tire, $19.95 each mount and balance
Liner Tire was $310/tire, $20 each mount and balance
Prefered Auto & Tire was $281/tire, $25 each mount and balance

I went with Prefered (they are off RT18 in Weymouth), an unimpressive looking building, but they have all of the correct equipment, including a fancy drive on scissor lift that has slidable hydraulic jacks built into it for the front and rear wheels. Total with tax was $1,294.25

I had them put on the original 19" wheels, and had the Goodyears taken off, they will be spares (still 8/32 on each tire, after 10,800 miles)

I also bought a complete set from a forum member here, of original OEM 19" wheels/Goodyears (with 10/11 32nds remaining)/TPMS/center caps/lug nuts etc for $1,700. So for under $3,000, I have my own "Winter Tire" package, along with some spare tires to boot :)

Last edited: