Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opticoat Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read perspectives that Opticoat Pro is a great way to minimize ongoing detailing needs for the Model S, and provides some additional paint protection.

Has anyone had Opticoat Pro installed on their Model S that would weigh in on their impressions?
Did you have the interior done --what does that entail?

Before & After Detailing in Raleigh, NC is a shop I found locally with experience on Tesla's (they have done three). Anyone work with Clay Dawson or this company?

I just had Opti-Coat Pro done here in the Bay Area, I love it and car looks great and easy to wash and keep clean. Also did the the interior. Did paint correction, Joe at Orinda Auto Detail has done many Tesla's needed the car for 2 days. I think it is a great investment in the future to keep the paint from deteriorating and not having to do a major detail every year. So for me it was a very affordable way to give some protection with out spending tons of money, I also have MC red and I have had several red car and it can be a pain to keep from fading and getting water spots etc.

I just had Opti-Coat Pro done here in the Bay Area, I love it and car looks great and easy to wash and keep clean. Also did the the interior. Did paint correction, Joe at Orinda Auto Detail has done many Tesla's needed the car for 2 days. I think it is a great investment in the future to keep the paint from deteriorating and not having to do a major detail every year. So for me it was a very affordable way to give some protection with out spending tons of money, I also have MC red and I have had several red car and it can be a pain to keep from fading and getting water spots etc.

I concur--got my S delivered in May, waited 2 months before I woke up to the fact that the TM paint is very soft (CA VOC compliant). Did the full detailing/perfection and full OptiCoat Pro with Joe in Orinda (he's now done well over 100 Model S). Worth every $$. No need to wax, polish, buff. Really looks great without any of the annoying small swirls & scratches I was getting even with very careful hand washing & waxing. Hope to get several years out of it. Note that the consumer product is thinner and runnier and cures slower. The Pro is more viscous and cooks off faster. Joe could lay it on a bit thicker on impact areas. He also does the wheels inside & out (dismounts them), the glass and the plastic & rubber.

I have read perspectives that Opticoat Pro is a great way to minimize ongoing detailing needs for the Model S, and provides some additional paint protection.

Has anyone had Opticoat Pro installed on their Model S that would weigh in on their impressions?
Did you have the interior done --what does that entail?

Before & After Detailing in Raleigh, NC is a shop I found locally with experience on Tesla's (they have done three). Anyone work with Clay Dawson or this company?

I'll be interested to hear what you find as I am also thinking about getting Opticoat Pro, but am planning to get an xpel wrap first (at TVP). Still seems strange to me to have the coat on top of the wrap but that seems to be the recommendation.

I'll be interested to hear what you find as I am also thinking about getting Opticoat Pro, but am planning to get an xpel wrap first (at TVP). Still seems strange to me to have the coat on top of the wrap but that seems to be the recommendation.

Since Opticoat Pro tends to also involve a paint correction wouldn't it be weird to go to shop A have the paint corrected, go to shop B for Xpel, go back to shop A for Opticoat Pro? I say that because I don't think the Opticoat Pro installer here in Raleigh can also do the Xpel. Unless the Xpel shop can do the paint correction.

GGBJR ... what are your thoughts with xpel then opticoat? Xpel may be better for chips and so forth as I understand it, but what else differentiates it?

I believe I read that Opticoat Pro lasts longer overall. Costs for xpel at $1300, and still need opticoat to cover the areas not covered by xpel. A full inside and out opticoat is ~$795.

GGBJR ... what are your thoughts with xpel then opticoat? Xpel may be better for chips and so forth as I understand it, but what else differentiates it?

I believe I read that Opticoat Pro lasts longer overall. Costs for xpel at $1300, and still need opticoat to cover the areas not covered by xpel. A full inside and out opticoat is ~$795.

Just read this again, Opti Coat protects environmental stuff, bird poo, pollen, water spots, UV damage. Xpel is there for impact protection from road debris and rocks.

I'm in the Raleigh area as well and have been considering doing exactly the same thing - Xpel for the front and then Opticoat for the rest. The guy at TVP suggested not doing OptiCoat on the parts that get the Xpel because he says he'd have to remove it anyway before putting on the Xpel. Has anyone done this combo?

Non of us OptiCoat Pro Installers will sell the Pro version to Consumers and trust me you wouldn't want the headache of attempting it yourself. v2.0 is a watered down and easier application process. Many DIYers still even tend to have issues with v2.0 by themselves.

Did the 2.0 on my wife's car with no issues. Don't see what the hype is with pro. Believe it is to support the price to have it installed. Someone could sell me some and I'll be the first to admit if I am wrong.

Had opti-coat pro done with paint correction and love it, cleans easier and do not need to wash as often. Use a California duster in between washes and find that everything comes off easier whether it is dust or bugs. Would highly recommend it just make sure the installer has done several Tesla's. Also had the interior done and that helps keep everything looking new. See previous post.

I'm in the Raleigh area as well and have been considering doing exactly the same thing - Xpel for the front and then Opticoat for the rest. The guy at TVP suggested not doing OptiCoat on the parts that get the Xpel because he says he'd have to remove it anyway before putting on the Xpel. Has anyone done this combo?

This is a widely debated topic. My current official position is that ideally the services be performed same day, same location. We bring in an Xpel PPF (Paint Protection Film) Installer mid way through the detail. We Wash, Decon (i.e. Chemical Bath and/or Clay Treatment), Polish to remove visual defects, then PPF is installed, then OptiCoat Pro or CQuartz FINEST is applied to the remaining exposed areas. Coating the PPF would be at no extra charge if requested by our client, but since we only suggest Xpel Ultimate which has a 10 yr warranty and self healing properties we no longer coat the film by default. It has not been confirmed, but there is a general concern amongst high level detailers that coating the paint prior to applying the PPF has a potential of problems years down the line. Again, no current data to back this up, but it is a concern and not worth it in our eyes since the PPF is going to protect the paint so well anyway. We do feel strongly though that all the paint be prepped evenly prior to PPF install. I hope this helps.

Did the 2.0 on my wife's car with no issues. Don't see what the hype is with pro. Believe it is to support the price to have it installed. Someone could sell me some and I'll be the first to admit if I am wrong.

I'm glad it was easy for you. Many people have not been as fortunate and saw high spots from improper application and leveling. You are correct that OptiCoat Pro and OptiCoat v2.0 are not that much different as they are the same chemical makeup. v2.0 has been watered down to make it thinner and easier to apply. Pro is thicker making it more difficult to apply but provides a thicker barrier of protection and the added depth adds some gloss. Hope that helps clarify things a bit.