Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Berlin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to Berlin on friday, but I can not find any public chargers that can be accessed with out a RFID-card.

Is there any 22 kW charger with a Mennekes Type 2 plug open 24/7?

I think you can charge on the RWE chargers at half speed (11kW) without a RFID-card, by paying with SMS. You will need a German SIM-card to pay by SMS. If you don't have a German phone number already, try to buy a German pay-as-you-go SIM-card for your phone first, to pay for your charging. Call them and ask - maybe their new solution for tourists is ready now.

Map of RWE charging stations:

eMobility | RWE Ladesäulenfinder

or download their eKWH iPhone app.

Vattenfall also has charging stations in Berlin, but they also seem to be only for subscribers paying a monthly fee.

I'm planning to take a trip to Berlin myself, so please update us on what you find out regarding charging options for tourists on RWE or Vattenfall.

I think you can charge on the RWE chargers at half speed (11kW) without a RFID-card, by paying with SMS. You will need a German SIM-card to pay by SMS. If you don't have a German phone number already, try to buy a German pay-as-you-go SIM-card for your phone first, to pay for your charging. Call them and ask - maybe their new solution for tourists is ready now.

I could live with 11 kW but complicated if I need to buy a SIM card.

I will keep you updated!

I will keep you updated!
Please update!

I am going to stay in Berlin for most of July. I'll stay in Tempelhof, near the borders to Kreutzberg and Schöneberg. Not very far from InnoZ, where there is an abundance of chargers, but the chargers there seem to use either Vattenfall or RWE subscriptions. Except for the CHAdeMo chargers which I can't use. I don't have a German SIM card either (or a mobile phone for that matter), and 16 kW is a bit low for my needs.

The options I have researched are:
  • RWE card: Requires a one year subscription.
  • Vattenfall: Same as RWE, only differs in pricing and availability. (Vattenfall is in Berlin and Hamburg only.)
  • Ladenetz: Looks promising. It is a pre-paid card which can be used for charging for e.g. 30 days at Ladenetz stations or their roaming partners, including Vattenfall. But their terms and conditions state:
"Die smartlab Innovationsgesellschaft mbH behält sich vor, bei konkreten Hinweisen auf missbräuchliche Nutzung der Roamingfunktionalität diese für die jeweilige Karte zu deaktivieren. Ein Beispiel für missbräuchliches Verhalten ist, wenn im Rahmen des Gebrauchs dieser Zugangskarte oder auch durch die Authentifizierung in zwei aufeinanderfolgenden Monaten bei einem Roamingpartner mehr als die Hälfte aller Nutzungsvorgänge stattfinden."

I intepret the Ladenetz terms in plain English as: "You may use our roaming partners, but we consider it misuse if you mostly use our roaming partners. Get a card from them instead."

Do I have any other options which don't require either driving to some remote place in Berlin, or will be very slow or expensive? Free parking in central Berlin with a Shuko is always welcome as well of course, if it is OK to stay there for the entire day. :smile: