Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just as I thought the P85+ couldn't get any better :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, like some of the others on the forum had a great concern regarding the rear tire wear on the P85+ when I first bought the car. I drive on an average of 2,500 - 4,000 miles a month and it was only matter of months before my rear tires will wear out. I didn't feel like paying $3-4,000 a year just for the tires so I started looking at the 20" wheels for both cost savings and better ride comfort. Through some luck I encountered a manufacturer that was interested in making wheels for the Tesla and gave me an offer that I couldn't refuse. So I received my new 20" wheels past Saturday and couldn't be happier.

The setup is 20 x 9" in front with 255/40/20 and 20 x 10" in rear with 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport and I think the car is now perfect. Less tire noise, more comfy ride, and even more grip! Aesthetically, the wheels and tires look flush with the fenders and from the rear, the tires look like they are the correct proportions to the car. Since the rims are black, I couldn't really notice the difference going down to 21". Handling wise the car feels even more planted due to the additional width from the tires. The ride is definitely quieter and more supple than before. To me it was a win win situation. My only wish was that Tesla would have allowed deeper wheel wells so I can put even wider rims and tires, but it seems 285/295 rear is the max that we can go. Even with my 255/40/20 I get slight rubbing only backing down my driveway at an certain angle, but that doesn't bother me. I think this is the happy balance between comfort/tire wear/tire cost. The Michelin Pilot Supersport ran about $1,400 for all 4 tires vs $1,200-1,300 just for the rear oem 265/35/21 and it is a superior tire in grip and wear. One thing I did notice was my rear tire still had about 2-3,000 miles more to go @8,500 miles and the front seem like brand new.

Here are some pix I took on my iphone, but very hard to see because the wheels are black. I will have some better photos soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,215
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,047
I've been looking for a good set of 20" tires for my P85. The 19s spin too much for me. I won't put 21s on due to the short 5k tire lifespan and risk of blowouts/rim cracks. 20" black versions of these rims (same as you) would be exactly what I'm looking for, as long as treadwear pattern remains high. Not sure about all the 20" tire options available. I have 27k on my stock OEM 19" goodyears and still at around 6-7/32" tread left. I'd want to try to keep 20" tires as long as possible too.

I've been looking for a good set of 20" tires for my P85. The 19s spin too much for me. I won't put 21s on due to the short 5k tire lifespan and risk of blowouts/rim cracks. 20" black versions of these rims (same as you) would be exactly what I'm looking for, as long as treadwear pattern remains high. Not sure about all the 20" tire options available. I have 27k on my stock OEM 19" goodyears and still at around 6-7/32" tread left. I'd want to try to keep 20" tires as long as possible too.
Just in case you weren't aware, note that tire selection will have a far greater impact on wheel spin than wheel size. And any tire compound that will help in reducing spin is going to have a shorter lifespan, no matter what size wheel you choose. Also, be aware the ultra short life of the 21"s is likely due to alignment issues, and not entirely the fault of the tires.

+1 Gizmotoy

And just to clarify. Pilot SuperSports are by no means superior grip to PS2s. It is the other way around. Generally the more aggressive the rubber compound the worse the wear. That's why PSSs where longer than PS2s.

Still a great trade off to make since PSS are cheaper than PS2s and last longer while still giving pretty great performance. And since you are going with a more pronounced stagger than stock P+ you make up some of the lateral grip under hard acceleration compared to the 265s.

The one ironic benefit, though, of softer rubber compounds is that they actually improve the ride compliance even while giving superior performance. On my 06 Z06 I went from OEM Goodyear F1s to PS2s to PSCs (Cups). The Cups were track tires (street legal) and were incredible in terms of performance and compliance. What a pleasure to drive on! But they got me about 4k miles of wear on the rears compared to 12k with the F1s.

Yes these are the vorsteiner vff-101. I belive they run around $3,000 a set. They are flow-forged wheels so not truely forged. Name is misleading, but since reading from other people that light weight rim does not benefit too much on this car, I didn't care too much. I went with the gloss black instead of the matte since everyone has the matte/plasti-dip look. Also I think it goes well with the black gloss of the nose cone and soon I will do a gloss black wrap on all my trims to match. Also I was under the impression the pilot super sport were superior to the PS2 in everyway and it does feel that way. I get less wheel spin launching and more lateral grip, but that might be the wider tires.

Spun-Rim, Flow-Forming or Rim Rolling Technology
This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel without the high cost of the forging. Some of the special wheels produced for the O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a light and strong wheel at a reasonable cost. O.Z. has used this technology for several years in their production of racing wheels for Formula One and Indy cars. O.Z.'s Formula HLT wheel for the aftermarket is an example of a wheel produced using spun rim technology.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tire Review RoadandTrack.com - Road & Track

What do you think about putting these tires on those rims?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus N-Spec High Performance All-Season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus+N-Spec&partnum=54VR0PSASXLN0&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus N-Spec is Michelin's High Performance All-Season tire developed in conjunction with Porsche for Panamera, Panamera 4, Panamera S, Panamera 4S, and even Panamera Turbo models as an optional all-season tire offering. Pilot Sport A/S Plus N-Spec tires are designed to combine comfort, handling and all-season traction, even in light snow.

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus N-Spec features an all-season tread compound molded into a symmetric pattern that helps balance dry, wet and wintertime traction. Stable shoulder blocks and a continuous center rib boost responsiveness and highway stability, while wide circumferential grooves help resist hydroplaning and 2-D Active Sipes improve handling in rain and snow.

The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced with Michelin's FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that winds polyester and aramid/nylon cords spirally under the tread area to provide a stable feel and crisp steering, while polyester cord reinforced sidewalls enhance ride quality.

WARNING: Pilot Sport A/S Plus N-Spec tires feature a unique tread design that cannot be mixed with conventional Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

NOTE: While High Performance All-Season tires offer all-season versatility including traction in light snow, tire sizes featuring extremely wide tread widths may limit the traction this type of tire can provide in deep snow.

+1 Gizmotoy

And just to clarify. Pilot SuperSports are by no means superior grip to PS2s. It is the other way around. Generally the more aggressive the rubber compound the worse the wear. That's why PSSs where longer than PS2s.

Still a great trade off to make since PSS are cheaper than PS2s and last longer while still giving pretty great performance. And since you are going with a more pronounced stagger than stock P+ you make up some of the lateral grip under hard acceleration compared to the 265s.

The one ironic benefit, though, of softer rubber compounds is that they actually improve the ride compliance even while giving superior performance. On my 06 Z06 I went from OEM Goodyear F1s to PS2s to PSCs (Cups). The Cups were track tires (street legal) and were incredible in terms of performance and compliance. What a pleasure to drive on! But they got me about 4k miles of wear on the rears compared to 12k with the F1s.

From Michelin, the PSS's are suposed to increase both grip and tirewear: (I have not seen independent verification of these figures and I assume tire size would change the numbers)

Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.
Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.

I, like some of the others on the forum had a great concern regarding the rear tire wear on the P85+ when I first bought the car. I drive on an average of 2,500 - 4,000 miles a month and it was only matter of months before my rear tires will wear out. I didn't feel like paying $3-4,000 a year just for the tires so I started looking at the 20" wheels for both cost savings and better ride comfort. Through some luck I encountered a manufacturer that was interested in making wheels for the Tesla and gave me an offer that I couldn't refuse. So I received my new 20" wheels past Saturday and couldn't be happier.

The setup is 20 x 9" in front with 255/40/20 and 20 x 10" in rear with 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport and I think the car is now perfect. Less tire noise, more comfy ride, and even more grip! Aesthetically, the wheels and tires look flush with the fenders and from the rear, the tires look like they are the correct proportions to the car. Since the rims are black, I couldn't really notice the difference going down to 21". Handling wise the car feels even more planted due to the additional width from the tires. The ride is definitely quieter and more supple than before. To me it was a win win situation. My only wish was that Tesla would have allowed deeper wheel wells so I can put even wider rims and tires, but it seems 285/295 rear is the max that we can go. Even with my 255/40/20 I get slight rubbing only backing down my driveway at an certain angle, but that doesn't bother me. I think this is the happy balance between comfort/tire wear/tire cost. The Michelin Pilot Supersport ran about $1,400 for all 4 tires vs $1,200-1,300 just for the rear oem 265/35/21 and it is a superior tire in grip and wear. One thing I did notice was my rear tire still had about 2-3,000 miles more to go @8,500 miles and the front seem like brand new.

Here are some pix I took on my iphone, but very hard to see because the wheels are black. I will have some better photos soon.

I got the same setup on my P85 but with TSW Nuburings. I do hear a little rubbing upfront on hard turning when parking, but the ride is amazing and looks fantastic. The PSS tires are fantastic. Back just clears with the 285s for me too.