Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10/21 Munich Tesla Event with Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some take aways from the event with Elon tonight:

- Germany is Top Focus for Tesla right now, planning big investments
- First 6 SuperCharger locations for Germany will be announced in a press release on Thursday
- SuperChargers will have 135kW
- there will be a free High Speed Performance Upgrade for the German Autobahn (also available as retrofit)
- until end of 2014 there will be 30 - 40 SuperCharger in Germany
- power folding mirrors can be retrofit
- the plan is to sell more Model S per person in Germany than in the US

lots of questions answered, I hope somebody can post a video

Update. Some more things he mentioned (but I might have gotten some details wrong)

- there will be an executive back seat option available in the future. But that will be only 4 seats and not 5.
- the springs of the seats generally will be also improved
- Panasonic will raise their production of cells to allow for a 'theoretical' weekly production of approx 1200 cars
- no plans for an electric E class from Mercedes, only B class which is already a big commitment for Mercedes
- assistive driving options (adaptive cruise control, lane control, dead spot detection) will be available probably by mid next year
- no plans for solar panels on cars
- new software update is coming in December
- no SC capabilities for roadster

IMG_0245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some take aways from the event with Elon tonight:

- Germany is Top Focus for Tesla right now, planning big investments
- First 6 SuperCharger locations for Germany will be announced in a press release on Thursday
- SuperChargers will have 135kW
- there will be a free High Speed Performance Upgrade for the German Autobahn (also available as retrofit)
- until end of 2014 there will be 30 - 40 SuperCharger in Germany
- electric mirrors can be retrofit
- the plan is to sell more Model S per person in Germany than in the US

lots of questions answered, I hope somebody can post a video

Wow. Excellent.

135KW SCs is awesome.

High speed considerations for autobahn is great (similar to Limo seat for china)

Wow, press release on Thu regarding DE SCs.

I think TSLA recovers this week based on this event.

Awesome. Thanks for Your effort, Nik. What exactly does the Autobahn Performance Upgrade mean. Can You elaborate ?
He did not really mention any details. But he just said that he will send his top tech team to Germany to make the adaption. My guess is that it is just maybe removing or upping the speed limit. The power limiter kicks in pretty quickly on the Autobahn at high speeds. They might adapt that too. But he did not mention any details. I guess it only will be important for roads where you don't have a speed limit.

He did not really mention any details. But he just said that he will send his top tech team to Germany to make the adaption. My guess is that it is just maybe removing or upping the speed limit. The power limiter kicks in pretty quickly on the Autobahn at high speeds. They might adapt that too. But he did not mention any details. I guess it only will be important for roads where you don't have a speed limit.

one way to add more top end speed is to make a taller drive gear... Just a thought. Less acceleration but higher top end speed

Thanks for the post. Was there a timeline announced for Panasonic cell production increase?

I'm sure somebody made a video. I don't want to make any wrong comments. Elon mentioned some interesting numbers, but I don't recall them exactly.

He also mentioned Samsung and LG as secondary cell manufacturers. It will be either or, sounded like it wasn't decided yet. And only in case that Panasonic cannot deliver the committed numbers.

I didn't know Tesla was able to do 135kW supercharging. If so, that is truly amazing. Can someone else confirm this is what Elon said?

That does seem a bit odd. They've barely started rolling out 120 kw capability here in the US (my car still maxes out at 90). Also, you would expect something like 130 or 140 kw (xx0) because of the design, but not necessarily xx5 kw.

That does seem a bit odd. They've barely started rolling out 120 kw capability here in the US (my car still maxes out at 90). Also, you would expect something like 130 or 140 kw (xx0) because of the design, but not necessarily xx5 kw.

He for sure said 135kW. It might only be available in Europe though. He did not mention the availability in the US or if existing stations are going to be upgraded.

/snarky: I wonder if this will come before or after valet mode that was promised @ Teslive a few months ago.

Well, Elon also talked about this. He said it should be in the upcoming release in December or the one after this.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe you. Thanks for informing us. Was this a planned event? Did you get an invitation to be present there at this event?

Yes, it was a planned event. I got the invitation two weeks ago.

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 11.33.45 PM.png

He for sure said 135kW. It might only be available in Europe though. He did not mention the availability in the US or if existing stations are going to be upgraded.
In hindsight I should have paid more attention to electrical ed. in school, so this is most probably wrong, but maybe it’s got something to do with 3-phase? 135/3=45 …