Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Video of Model S Narrowly Avoiding a Big Rig Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bay Area news was showing this dash cam video of a big rig crash on 101 last Friday. When you look closely, you'll see a silver Model S coming in the opposite direction that is almost crushed by the big rig. It swerves and runs over the debris, but came through ok. Looks like the car handled very well in the situation. Must have been terrifying for the driver.

RAW: Dash camera video of spectacular big-rig crash | www.ktvu.com

Moderators, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate section if it's in the wrong place.

Last edited:
That could have been me in slightly different circumstances. A few weeks ago, a virtually identical accident happened on my commute where a big rig coming in the opposite direction crashed through the concrete barrier into my lanes just like in this video. In my case, I was about a minute behind the accident, so all I got for my trouble was sitting in stopped traffic looking at the mess the truck had made.

I hope he's okay off screen. It looks like the car is still oscillating as it leaves the frame. Who knows what sort of damage it took, whatever it hit is was big.

This reinforces my desire for having a Dash cam installed. I wish there was a factory option, but barring that, I need to find a good installer in the San Diego area...

I drove past that accident scene and saw the Model S getting loaded onto a flatbed tow truck. I was going southbound on 101, the truck was going northbound. I normally drive in the fast lane, but I was probably 20 minutes or more away when it happened. What a mess.

If you are looking for a good dash camera, watch this review (and other reviews from the same guy, they are all excellent). I have three of these and they are amazing. Great quality in day and night, fully automatic and very easy to install yourself.
REVIEW: Mini DVR 0801 The Smallest 1080p LCD Car Dash Cam with Ambarella A2S60 - Best Mini Car Cam - YouTube

Thank you so very much for the link, that guy makes excellent and entertaining videos, especially those about kitchen gadgets were hilarious! And that camera looks like the real deal too. :)