Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First with 21 inch winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Right_Said_Fred

May 11, 2012
The Netherlands
I just bought (online) the new 21 inch Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires. Am I the first? Pirelli said they wouldn't come out before mid-november, but I saw them on stock (just 4 tires) at a big Dutch/German online tire shop and didn't hesitate.

I should get the tires this week and will have them installed next month.

They're pretty expensive at €465 each (ex. VAT), but there are advantages:

- I can keep using the (beautiful) 21 inch rims in winter
- I don't have to buy an extra set of rims
- I don't have to buy an extra set of pressure sensors.

Ofcourse 21 inch rims with winter tires are not the best choice in a harsh climate with lots of snow and ice, but our winters are not that long and severe. However, it does snow and freeze occassionaly, so I don't want to take any risks with summer tires in winter (in combination with the torque my P85 produces).

I will rotate the tires when going from winter to summer tires and vice versa, hopefully prolonging the life of both sets.

That is not real winterrubber. ;-) excellent for down to zero but after that worse and worse... But probably ok for the netherlands. Up here I need some nordic rubber or studded. Much snow and ice. ;-)

dont worry they are not bad. Just not the ones for us driving in snow and ice for months. Well if the gloval heating will not kill this winter. ;-)

That is not real winterrubber. ;-) excellent for down to zero but after that worse and worse... But probably ok for the netherlands. Up here I need some nordic rubber or studded. Much snow and ice. ;-)

dont worry they are not bad. Just not the ones for us driving in snow and ice for months. Well if the gloval heating will not kill this winter. ;-)

I used to drive to family in Sweden (Dalarna) once a year and with the Supercharger-network on the way (with one around Orebro, if the map is correct) that will become a serious possibility for the Model S. But my wife and kids got tired of the four day long roundtrip, so we are flying now. For The Netherlands the Sottozero 3 should indeed be just fine.

Good news, I tried to order them online about 3 weeks ago, I could order them but got then the money back due to non-delivery date. I will order then now as well! I also requested a quote for 4 rims, the 9" for the rear since I have a "+", but Tesla offered me then 4 rims individually with TPMS and I was blown away by the price, still waiting for the availability of a "set" as in the US. Unfortunately the 265/35/21 Wintertires from Pirelli will only be available next Winter, so I will probably take the 245 but still the 9" rims on the back ...

To Hybris ... how do you know that they are not real winterrubber? ... as I understand it's a complete new tire available first time this season?

Hi all, First post. Question on the 21" Pirelli snow tires. I have p85+ on order (12/19 delivery scheduled). I ordered 4 of the 21" snow tires (being delivered today actually), but am curious as to whether the rears will be right width for p85+? Or does that not matter? My wife has a 5 series BMW that has wider summer tires but her Blizzak snow tires are all the same width - front and back. Sorry if this is a total newbie question...

Hi all, First post. Question on the 21" Pirelli snow tires. I have p85+ on order (12/19 delivery scheduled). I ordered 4 of the 21" snow tires (being delivered today actually), but am curious as to whether the rears will be right width for p85+? Or does that not matter? My wife has a 5 series BMW that has wider summer tires but her Blizzak snow tires are all the same width - front and back. Sorry if this is a total newbie question...

Always best to run the narrowest tire possible for snow.....see more info here !

The OE rear wheels are 9" wide and 245/35R21 can fit up to a 9.5" wide wheel so it is a safe fit on both front and rear wheels. We haven't test fit the rear wheels on the front axle, so I can't say that you will be able to rotate your wheels and tires without dismounting the tires........

Any impressions of driving with these tires? I take delivery of my car in Seattle later this week, have a set of these in my garage and am wondering whether I should put them on immediately or try out the performance tires for a few days?

I just bought (online) the new 21 inch Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires. Am I the first? Pirelli said they wouldn't come out before mid-november, but I saw them on stock (just 4 tires) at a big Dutch/German online tire shop and didn't hesitate.

I should get the tires this week and will have them installed next month.

They're pretty expensive at €465 each (ex. VAT), but there are advantages:

- I can keep using the (beautiful) 21 inch rims in winter
- I don't have to buy an extra set of rims
- I don't have to buy an extra set of pressure sensors.

Ofcourse 21 inch rims with winter tires are not the best choice in a harsh climate with lots of snow and ice, but our winters are not that long and severe. However, it does snow and freeze occassionaly, so I don't want to take any risks with summer tires in winter (in combination with the torque my P85 produces).

I will rotate the tires when going from winter to summer tires and vice versa, hopefully prolonging the life of both sets.

For me personally, I picked up an extra set of 19s instead. It's a heck lot easier for me to just unbolt the wheels / tires all together and slap on the other set vs. having to get a shop to dismount all four tires every time I need it changed.

Hello everybody. I wanted to ask what is your experience with the 21" Sottozero Winter Tires? Have you actually tried them in snow/heavy snow conditions and would you recommend them? I live in switzerland and we have very good streets here. However, we would go in winter to the mountains to ski but would like to avoid the 19" wheels for the better looks of the 21". :)

Hello everybody. I wanted to ask what is your experience with the 21" Sottozero Winter Tires? Have you actually tried them in snow/heavy snow conditions and would you recommend them? I live in switzerland and we have very good streets here. However, we would go in winter to the mountains to ski but would like to avoid the 19" wheels for the better looks of the 21". :)

A couple of things to consider:

1. Sottozero tires aren't great winter tires in the 19" size. (at least if they are similar to the ones sold in North America).

2. Wheels get pretty beat up during the winter--do you really want to mess up your 21" wheels (they aren't that cheap).

3. Every time you mount and demount a tire you risk hidden damage to the tire.

4. It's amazing how the tire and car companies have brainwashed people into thinking that larger wheels look better, when they always cost more and last only a short time. Of course, it's great for their profits, but not so good for the consumer.