Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Day Old Model S Wrecked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was driving home alone when a large SUV cut across 6 lanes of traffic and broadsided me. I never even saw her coming. The driver slammed into me with so much force that the Tesla's aigbags instantly deployed and pushed me head-on into a concrete light pole which then crashed down on top of my car. The SUV actually did a 180 and ended up facing the opposite direction she was going. I was even told by one witness that my car look like it even became airborne for a split second which is crazy considering the weight of the Model S. Alerts immediately started to be displayed on the console. I was not able to open the driver side door so I had to crawl out the passenger side. I walked away with only a broken hand which I was told was caused by the airbag. The driver of the other vehicle was unhurt. We were both very lucky.

I have to say that the Model S couldn't have performed better. Even though this was the first major accident I have ever been involved in I felt very well protected. From what I can remember, the cabin was not caved in very much. I am very sad this happened but am actually glad I was in my new Model S; I'm not sure how bad the accident would have been if I was driving another car. 20 minutes after the crash Tesla was calling my cell phone asking if I was okay and that they saw I was in an accident. I couldn't answer the call at that time since I was still talking to the police officers and fireman on scene. I was told by the firemen and my insurance agent that I was very lucky to be driving in the Tesla as it is truly the safest cars on the road. Sad about our 2 week old car but it probably saved me from more injuries.

I'm not sure yet what the status of the car is yet but will post it as soon as I find out.

Here are a few low quality pictures of the accident. They were taken by some of my family members shortly after the accident. I'll be able to get the high resolution images soon if anyone is really interested.

Mail Attachment.jpeg
Mail Attachment copy.jpeg
IMG_2268.JPG

Glad you're OK, and so sorry about the car. They can make another one for you easily enough. You, on the other hand, aren't so readily replaceable.

I would appreciate seeing the hi res photos at some point. I always find it interesting to see how the Model S holds up in accidents. No hurries though. Get that hand on the mend and things back in order first.

Hope your hand heals fast. I had a buddy in high school who broke both wrists from the steering wheel airbag as he was gripping the wheel so much during impact.

Kudos to the Model S and this:
20 minutes after the crash Tesla was calling my cell phone asking if I was okay and that they saw I was in an accident.
Can't explain how good and safe this makes me feel.

Also, hope you get a Model S loaner until your new one arrives.

Glad to hear everything turned out ok. It's also nice to know Tesla will call to see if you need help after an accident. I would think first responders would want to have Tesla on the line to make sure they are following proper procedures.

Glad you are okay. And hope you are back in a Model S soon.

On a different note re the broken hand, do you remember whether you continued to hold the steering wheel after initial impact? That would be my natural instinct for sure. But Nascar drivers are trained to immediately let go off the wheel if a crash is imminent. You can actually see them doing just this in replays of crashes.

I'm sure I continued to hold onto the steering wheel. I actually thought I was holding on too tight and that caused the damage. However, both the paramedics and the doctor seem to think it was due to the airbag.
Glad to hear you're okay . . . I wonder if we need to have our hands on the lower third of the steering to minimize the possibility of damage from the air bag. Be well . . . mend fast . . . and then get back on the road knowing that you're driving the safest car ever made.