Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode?

Do you want a valet mode?

• Yes!

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I know this has been discussed before, but now that I am about to take delivery this is more on my mind. Would you want TM to introduce a valet mode on the car? I would, for both valets and for teenage drivers that might get some ideas. My thoughts on this are:

• Would ideally have a PIN code to enable/disable
  • Could limit top speed
  • Could limit acceleration
  • Could report if vehicle leaves moves more than a set distance from a geographic point (think Ferris Bueller)
  • Other ideas?

OK, I know this has been discussed before, but now that I am about to take delivery this is more on my mind. Would you want TM to introduce a valet mode on the car? I would, for both valets and for teenage drivers that might get some ideas. My thoughts on this are:

• Could limit top speed
  • Could limit acceleration
  • Could report if vehicle leaves moves more than a set distance from a geographic point (think Ferris Bueller)
  • Other ideas?

It should put some sort of instruction screen up, with things like how to start the car, not to worry about a parking break, etc.

It should also have a polite message reminding them that the car's location is tracked and all activity is logged.

Prevent access to frunk and glove box.

Yes I like that one. Secure storage is important.

- - - Updated - - -

Was told it's coming 'soon'. Will be software release, so not a big deal to get out to everyone.

I agree. I am hoping to hasten its delivery a bit through demonstrating interest :) I don't relish the thought of valet parking my car. Or going away with a teenage son ;)

It should put some sort of instruction screen up, with things like how to start the car, not to worry about a parking break, etc.

It should also have a polite message reminding them that the car's location is tracked and all activity is logged.

Liuping,

Several people have made websites to have on the web browser while valet parking.

Here is the one I made a few months back.

http://nojoyride.weebly.com/

I would also like to request that the PIN code not only allows you to enable/disable valet mode, but also remote access (or maybe use a different PIN).

Unless you're checking the mileage, you won't be able to monitor your car if the valet/son/daughter/etc decides to turn off remote access, go off to the drag races, then drive calmly for the next 30 miles back (to clear the energy usage graphs) to the parking lot and get it charged up.

Lock out frunk & trunk.
Lock off all audio.
Disable Bluetooth.
Disable HomeLink to prevent cloning.
Disable ability to change settings esp. security, HomeLink .
Disable Nav (no peeking at addresses).
?disable auto lock & walk away lock.

Once we get push notification to our app, add appropriate notifications for speed, power, range, geofence.

Hopefully Valet Mode will include a speed and acceleration governor. Not just for Valets but even family/friends who you don't want "enjoying" the max output of a Tesla. Should be easy since it's already integrated into the system when you get low on battery. This yellow line shows up (for those who haven't seen it) at 160 KW when you go below 20 miles remaining. Acceleration clearly feels crippled when this happens and should at least deter joy ride attempts.
IMG_1992.jpg

Would love to have a valet mode. I really like JPP's suggestions as well. Lock glovebox, screen, etc. Might as well lock out everything.
I would not be in favor of bold statements that say anything to the effect of "Hey, I'm watching you." First, with a valet mode, such statements would no longer be necessary. In spite of all the issues we hear about with valets, they are people too and should be respected. Some statements that I have seen on several of valet pages seem a little to arrogant/cocky to me. I opened one of these pages several times upon handing the fob over, and each time, closed it as I was embarrassed. I felt like I was being rude. A more subtle line under the instructions, such as simply "vehicle activity monitored", or none at all please.