Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Test Mule

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
If my source is correct, this is an AWD prototype with approx 600HP. Pic at factory.

IMG958745.jpg

Why would you use such a bright color, and non-standard, color for a test mule? Wouldn't you want it to be somewhat incognito?

BTW ... Tesla I ordered green, and my color has darkened a bit, could you respray my car to get it back to that wonderful color?

Why would you use such a bright color, and non-standard, color for a test mule? Wouldn't you want it to be somewhat incognito?

BTW ... Tesla I ordered green, and my color has darkened a bit, could you respray my car to get it back to that wonderful color?

You're thinking like a conventional industry person. Think Tesla!
1) It's a Model S body
2) Everyone knows they're developing 4WD for the Model X
3) They want people to know/think they're making progress
4) They want to build excitement and orders for the Model X (and Model S-X?)
5) Maybe they want to generate excitement in other markets that like color.

Why bother camouflaging?

EDIT: On second thoughts, it could just be a modified wish photo.

Last edited:
I heard in another thread that this car could be destined for a movie with Leilani Munter

I didn't hear that specifically for sure about THIS car, so I didn't state it, but I figured that's likely. Lelani had let drop some time back that there was going to be a special version S for the movie. This would seem pretty special....

The color and appearance of this car, if this photo is in fact real, definitely suggests "prop car" to me, so movie car is believable. I can see that as a logical marketing activity. And a good one, at that. As long as the film isn't horrible. :)

Spotting Elon at far right and some other high level VPs - looks like Jerome standing next to Elon. This must be an important vehicle... I heard in another thread that this car could be destined for a movie with Leilani Munter.
This theory makes a lot of sense to me.

Some observations:
  1. Protective plastic still on the seats.
  2. Passenger front is bent forward.
  3. Black interior.
  4. No spoiler, but performance/dark 21 wheels.
  5. No pano roof (I think).
  6. No performance trim on the seats.
  7. Suspension looks to be on High.
  8. Rear wheels look to be non-Plus.

Can anybody reasonably tell from the picture whether (a) the headliner is alcantara or not (from the driver side A pillar) and (b) if the seats are leather or cloth?

Is your source Instagram? There were a bunch of pics of this car along with a custom orange one, they said they were for "managers". Also notable is that part of the nose piece was also colored. One of the instagrams did state awd 600 hp. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic

Okay everyone, hear me out here. I just had a great idea which I haven't heard anyone talk about before.

So, I realized, these AWD cars will have two axels, two motors, two gearboxes. See that last part? Two gearboxes. That means two ratios. They could set the rear wheels, the ones responsible for get-up-and-go, to a really low gear ratio, even lower than the one in the current Model S, for much faster off-the-line performance. Then they could set the front wheels to a really high gear ratio, for better efficiency when cruising and more top speed. Then just vector the torque to whatever wheels need them - if you really put the hammer down, the car will decide to use the rear wheels more, but if you're just gliding up to speed, it'll use the front wheels more.

Has anyone else thought/talked about this? It would be sort of a back way into the whole "two gears" thing which didn't work out on the Roadster.