Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head of the Charles Regatta this weekend - Tesla marketing opportunity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
Yesterday my son made a very astute observation after noticing preparations being made for the Head of the Charles Regatta (HOC) along the river in Cambridge. He suggested that Tesla and TMC New England should try to organize a display of Model S's at the HOC, noting that the regatta attracts a high end crowd that luxury marketers target, and who might be Tesla-inclined.

I wish I'd thought of it earlier, but wondering whether there isn't someplace that we might attempt an informal/unofficial Model S gathering that would attract notice and publicize the cars and brand. The Regatta is Saturday and Sunday this weekend, locations and times here (The 2013 Regatta | Head Of The Charles Regatta | Boston MA | Cambridge MA | Charles River). I'm willing to park somewhere for a couple of hours late morning Saturday or midday Sunday. Anyone have ideas as to where might work, and willing to join up?

Great idea, Peter, but one that might be hard to pull off. My daughter rowed in three HOCR in recent years, so I've spent a lot of time along the river...

The difficulty is "where". Big chunks of roadway are blocked off, which makes the parking situation nearby even worse than usual. All the usual parking areas along the river, e.g. at the Riverside Boat Club or the parkland on the Boston side upstream of the Eliot Bridge, are closed off for official use only.

The heaviest foot traffic is around the Cambridge Boat Club near Mt. Auburn Hospital, and also around the Weeks bridge (which runs from HBS over to Leverett House). Tricky to find a bloc of parking there for Tesla demos.

Last edited:
I agree. I've volunteered on CBC gate security a couple of times and there aren't a lot of places for an impromptu action.

One idea would be just to get a number of cars together someplace and then drive a few loops through Harvard Square, across the bridge at JFK street, etc.

If nothing else, when I head over to watch a few races I'll make an effort to drive through the most populated area of Harvard Square and then park somewhere visible.

I drove through Harvard Square twice this afternoon. Definitely a different crowd from normal - got a lot more looks and comments than usual. If a handful of Model S's drove through together it would definitely attract attention.

I'm willing to give it a shot tomorrow. Say meet at the Starbucks on soldiers field road in Brighton at 10:15-10:30am? Can we get a few cars together and drive through and around the race area for 45 min or so? Any takers?

I drove through Harvard Square twice this afternoon. Definitely a different crowd from normal - got a lot more looks and comments than usual. If a handful of Model S's drove through together it would definitely attract attention.

I'm willing to give it a shot tomorrow. Say meet at the Starbucks on soldiers field road in Brighton at 10:15-10:30am? Can we get a few cars together and drive through and around the race area for 45 min or so? Any takers?

Actually I realized I have an earlier commitment. How about 11:15-11:30am at Starbucks?

I'm game.....about 90% sure I can be there, will know for sure later tonight. I don't know that area at all tho, so I will be following everyone else ;-) I guess I don't drive into the city much.

Any other takers so we can create an impact?

ps - uh-oh just saw the updated time - makes it a little harder for me to be there but let me see what I can work out.........

I have been caught in the traffic in previous years, usually when I was going to "Microcenter" on Memorial Drive.
They have a good sized parking lot (for Cambridge). I seem to remember a boat house accross from the parking lot,
many boat trailers parked there too. That parking lot might work out, something to think about.
I'll try to make it as well

I have been caught in the traffic in previous years, usually when I was going to "Microcenter" on Memorial Drive.
They have a good sized parking lot (for Cambridge). I seem to remember a boat house accross from the parking lot,
many boat trailers parked there too. That parking lot might work out, something to think about.
I'll try to make it as well

That sounds like a good place to end the drive, Mitch - and there's a Starbucks there as well (also a Trader Joe's).

- - - Updated - - -

I plotted out a route for us, on the google maps link below. Ignore the letters along the way, they're just to help guide the route.

Starbucks to Unknown road - Google Maps

HOCR route.jpg

Aaron would have to drive 3 hours to get here so I completely understand... But Ben and Hitesh and Ed, do we need to shame you into showing up?

And where is Jim?

Come on guys, 6 or 8 cars would be a lot more impressive than 4... Imagine how many photos would be instagramed, tweeted or posted on Facebook.

Would love to be there but I will be with my Roommate looking for a house for him, got 3 open houses in Norton to check out..

Aaron would have to drive 3 hours to get here so I completely understand... But Ben and Hitesh and Ed, do we need to shame you into showing up?

And where is Jim?

Come on guys, 6 or 8 cars would be a lot more impressive than 4... Imagine how many photos would be instagramed, tweeted or posted on Facebook.