Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to use AT&T for 4G LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very badly written article. I wonder what the original press release said.
Half the stuff is already available (tense is wrong),

HSPA+ must be for new cars - yes?
Current cars don't have HSPA+ as far as I'm aware. Nor can you watch Video.

The current modem probably supports, but is perhaps not using, HSPA+. Most 3G chipsets have had support for HSPA+ for quite some time, so it's likely that's what Tesla used.

Sounds like the free period is coming to a close. I wonder what the pricing will be.

If someone already has data tethering on their phone, does this matter?

If we were to lose the free 3G connection, nothing would really change if my phone is in the car and setup to automatically connect and provide a wifi / bluetooth data connectivity?

Are we sure this is a new development? We already knew we were using ATT but it was never formally announced, maybe ATT is just "revealing" it now. I don't see anything about hardware upgrades like Elon mentioned in the past.

If someone already has data tethering on their phone, does this matter?

If we were to lose the free 3G connection, nothing would really change if my phone is in the car and setup to automatically connect and provide a wifi / bluetooth data connectivity?
Well, the question is how would you be able to communicate to your car from your smartphone when u aren't inthe car? The question is will the connection they charge for the tethering separately from the basic connectivity to the car?

The current modem probably supports, but is perhaps not using, HSPA+. Most 3G chipsets have had support for HSPA+ for quite some time, so it's likely that's what Tesla used.

Sounds like the free period is coming to a close. I wonder what the pricing will be.

Should be pretty cheap since it is helping TMC make the car better...

"The connection also will allow Tesla engineers to look at driving data from the car and better analyze performance trends, system enhancements, and driver preferences. "

This is a very badly written article. I wonder what the original press release said.
Half the stuff is already available (tense is wrong),

Exactly. I read the article thinking it was going to say something relevant, but ended up asking myself what else is new? We already know that Tesla partnered with AT&T for connectivity. Now, if they were offering LTE, that would be a different story.

Well, the question is how would you be able to communicate to your car from your smartphone when u aren't inthe car? The question is will the connection they charge for the tethering separately from the basic connectivity to the car?
Exactly. I was thinking the same thing - make the phone a hot spot, but then I can't connect when I'm not in the car. That is the only reason I have a smart phone - check on the S and the LEAF.

Maybe ATT is just touting its relationship with Tesla for PR/marketing.

And I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but somehow it seems inappropriate for the 3G connectivity not to be included for the life of the car. It's how it gets software updates and all. I could see paying extra for LTE...but not 3G.