Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart EVSE (Open Source)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fuzzylogic

Roadster Sport 2.5 & S100D
Jun 23, 2009
The Netherlands
Open Source Smart EVSE

SmartEVSE_DIN.jpg

What is it?

It's a Smart EVSE, initially build to charge a Tesla Roadster at home. But improved to now also work with three phase charging (Model S).
The smart bit is, that it actively measures the current consumption of all appliances at home, and automatically lowers or increases the charging current to the EV.

The project consists of two parts:
- Smart EVSE controller (see above)
- Sensorbox with CT's (see below)

The Smart EVSE controller connects to the EV, but also to the Sensorbox over a serial RS485 connection.
features:
- Fits into a standard DIN rail enclosure
- selects current capacity of the connected charging cable automatically (13/20/32/63A)
- can optionally have a 8x2 character LCD
- setup through serial command line interface, things like MAX/MIN Current can be set
- serial bootloader, for firmware upgrades

The Sensorbox, has inputs for Current Transformers(CT's). These CT's measure the current draw per phase, and send this information over a RS485 connection to the Smart EVSE controller.
The Sensorbox should be installed in the area where the MAINS connection enters your house. Just click the CT's on the (three) Phase wires, and run a serial wire (CAT5 works fine) to the EVSE controller.

The project folders are as follows:
/bootloader microchip bootloader software
/cad 3D openscad files for the sensorbox
/eagle schematics and pcb layouts for the EVSE controller, Sensorbox (3PCurrentTX), and optional LCD
/pictures pictures of the boards, my single phase Roadster EVSE, and Three phase EVSE
/sourcecode Microchip MPLAB sourcecode and HEX files.

Files can be downloaded from here

Please feel free to modify, change or improve the code.

sensorbox.jpg

SmartEVSE_PCBb.jpg

Open Source Smart EVSE

What is it?

It's a Smart EVSE, initially build to charge a Tesla Roadster at home. But improved to now also work with three phase charging (Model S).
The smart bit is, that it actively measures the current consumption of all appliances at home, and automatically lowers or increases the charging current to the EV.

Hi Fuzzylogic,
Ziet er al behoorlijk als een verkoopklaar product uit :)

Open Source Smart EVSE

What is it?

The project consists of two parts:
- Smart EVSE controller (see above)
- Sensorbox with CT's (see below)

very interesting ! Looking forward to Saturday's Benelux EVSE workshop !

Last weekend I have build a first prototype charger around the SmartEVSE module.

This is a SmartEVSE with a fixed 32A charging cable for a typical Dutch house installation having 3x 25A. Upgrading to a higher current is quite expensive here, so the challenge is to be able to load with maximum current without blowing the fuses when someone switches on the oven or other heavy load. I am actually using the CT's as shown above to measure the total current and the small interface box to communicate these values to the SmartEVSE module.

First tests show all seems to work great. I am now typically charging at 22A to 23A, without blowing a fuse when the oven or water cooker is switched on.

Naturally the load-current is not (yet) automatically increased after more current becomes available again, due to the bug in the Tesla firmware, hopefully this gets fixed soon (version 5.9 maybe ??).

I am planning do do some more testing and build a compact Smart charger around this SmartEVSE module. Main challenge is actually finding reasonably priced charge cable (5x 6mm2 + 1), with or without the plug. I guess this should be possible for around Euro 150,-- including the plug. Input welcome !

Last edited:
@lolachampcar
thanks!

@uiski
The controllers are currently only for sale if you contact me directly.
As widodh mentioned, i'll/he will add a section to the smartevse.nl website, or i'll offer them directly on my website.

The sourcecode is on Github now, here:
SmartEVSE/smartevse · GitHub

It can now also control the locking actuator on a Mennekes socket. So your charging cable will lock in the EVSE.
As it has a RS485 connection, other things like authentication with RFID, remotely activate / monitor the charging, firmware upgrade, might be added later with additional hardware.

Solar PV charging using SmartEVSE and Sola Controla PV controller

I have added DC control of the Charging current to enable closed loop control using a standard "Sola Controla" PV heating controller.
Now can charge depending on PV export power available, continuously adjusted in realtime under closed loop control.
See video at
Also see our SmartEVSE below.

tn_IMAG0888.jpg

Using the currentTX module ( not shown) with CT4 as DC input.
Modified firmware/source code available.
Enjoy free Solar power driving

Last edited by a moderator:
I think SMART EVSE modul is good solution for my future home wallbox

1 . simple wallbox without automatic current control
only manual select current from 16A to 32A (16A 20A 25A 32A)
with 4 position rotary switch and use 2 digital input
(wiring 2 digital input and need some programming)

2. wallbox with automatic current control

Where I buy SMART EVSE and where to buy Type 2 32A socket

I finally replaced my Open EVSE with a Smart EVSE this weekend.

Long story short: Open EVSE is more for the US market, based in Single Phase and doesn't support locking for the Type 2 socket. Smart EVSE does :)

fr_113_size1024.jpg

My Type 2 socket is in the wall of my shed:

20120922_011.jpg

Locking of the socket nog finally works after almost 3 years... Anyway, done!

I'm glad you still like it.

There is a new firmware version 1.06, available on GitHub - SmartEVSE/smartevse: Smart EVSE Electric Vehicle Charging Station
It has improved current calculation in smart mode; less overshoot when setting the current.

SmartEVSE now also has three buttons, which let you configure all settings directly on the module itself. No need for the FTDI cable anymore. (except for firmware updates ofcourse)

Next feature will be load balancing between 2-4 modules. The RS485 port is already there, so it's all software..

I finally replaced my Open EVSE with a Smart EVSE this weekend.

Long story short: Open EVSE is more for the US market, based in Single Phase and doesn't support locking for the Type 2 socket. Smart EVSE does :)

I am sorry to hear you moved away from OpenEVSE. OpenEVSE is in fact designed for the international markets and does support locking of a Type 2 socket (with an inexpensive driver board) and proximity pilot for IEC cable ampacity detection. OpenEVSE outputs the commands for Lock/Unlock on the ISP header pins.

OpenEVSE also supports all the required safety checks required by IEC, SAE and UL such as GFCI, Welded Contact Detection, and Ground Monitoring.

I am sorry to hear you moved away from OpenEVSE. OpenEVSE is in fact designed for the international markets and does support locking of a Type 2 socket (with an inexpensive driver board) and proximity pilot for IEC cable ampacity detection. OpenEVSE outputs the commands for Lock/Unlock on the ISP header pins.

OpenEVSE also supports all the required safety checks required by IEC, SAE and UL such as GFCI, Welded Contact Detection, and Ground Monitoring.
I had the old version of OpenEVSE, version 1 if I'm correct.

The nice thing about SmartEVSE is that it fits on a DIN-rail in Europe, so it's very easy to add to an existing electrical system. It just plugs in as a module.