Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return to Singapore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like as good a time as any other to start a thread since Elon has 'name-dropped' Singapore.

NEWS:
1) Tesla presumably also expanding/shipping to Singapore in 2014 (From Elon Musk)
Mentioned by Elon Musk @ Elon Musk: Tesla Motors CEO, Stanford GSB 2013 Entrepreneurial Company of the Year - YouTube

2) teslamotors.com.sg claimed on 29-Sep-2013, currently parked with web hosting provider vodien singapore.
Unknown claimant. Registrar: IP MIRROR PTE LTD

3) Elon now says "Korea likely next after HK & Japan", which means Singapore will likely be officially delayed. Not expecting any entry before 2Q 2015 at this moment.

CURRENT STATUS:
2 Tesla Roadsters
- 1 Registered
- 1 Untitled, For Sale (By FSG Mobility)

Unknown total number of Model S "orders" placed via Tesla HK (more than 1)

EV INCENTIVES:
S$20,000 Tax Rebate for Zero-Emission cars

EV INFRASTRUCTURE:
Contact Bosch eMobility Services Singapore @ http://www.bosch-emobility.sg

This post will be updated as and when necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in Singapore for almost 4 years in the 90's (I'm an American who now lives near San Francisco). Singapore is a perfect place for an EV because the island is so small that even an S60 has more than enough range for any trip inside the country. To drive more 50 miles roundtrip you have to take the causeway into Malaysia.

Well off Singaporeans (and there are probably over a hundred thousand who can afford a Model S even with the astronomical vehicle taxes there) will love the Model S.

Officially or unofficially?

Unofficially some people in Singapore have placed deposits with Tesla Hong Kong and Tesla in HK has assured that the cars will be delivered to Singapore even though it's in the Hong Kong reservation queue.

Officially, no idea. Some future date in Elon's mind.

What are the costs of owning an EV like the Model S in Singapore i.e. tax on imported electric cars, GST, congestion charge, license fee, etc? I'm guessing Singapore is probably more aggressive in discouraging the ownership of cars than HK.

What are the costs of owning an EV like the Model S in Singapore i.e. tax on imported electric cars, GST, congestion charge, license fee, etc? I'm guessing Singapore is probably more aggressive in discouraging the ownership of cars than HK.

The cost of owning a car in Singapore is way too prohibitively expensive - electric or otherwise. While you do get a modest break on the COE (road tax) for an EV, it's still something like 2-3X the retail purchase price. The flipside is that traffic is relatively light for such a small island with 5.5M people.

I really miss my Model S!

Article on the pullout, back in 2011:

Tesla Motors Is Leaving Singapore

Without any tax breaks or incentives, the all-electric Tesla Roadster would cost between SGD400,000 and SGD500,000, a price that would put it firmly in the cross-hairs of some of the most desirable Porsche or Maserati machines. Tesla originally hoped to receive the incentives, which would help the electric sportscar sell for around SGD250,000.

Another article quoted some comparison prices:

For those who are unaware of the cost of ownership of cars in Singapore there's a 100% import tax and a hefty 'Certificate of Entitlement' which makes owning a car a significant undertaking, for example a new Audi A4 2.0T costs S$224,000 (US$175,000), a Porsche 911 Carrera S some S$415,000 (US$324,000). Without incentives the Tesla Roadster Sport was going for around S$450,000 (US$351,000) and that was just too rich for even the most keen electric power enthusiast.

The key problem is that at those prices even if a small number of people would buy the cars, there were just not enough to justify setting up a service centre and local support.

It will be interesting to see if the lower price of the Model S changes this, but I don't see any announcement from Tesla yet. Given their production constraints, and large delivery backlogs in places like Japan, Hong Kong and Australia, I guess they are just concentrating on the markets they are already in.

markwj, we are aware of it already. As you said, it happened a long time ago in 2011 and it was for the roadster which is still for sale here (2 unsold units). That was all over our local news and car circles and already covered in the earlier thread: Tesla Singapore Several things have changed from 2011 until now and there is now a zero-emission incentive (rebate) on cars so would appreciate it if the old facts are not rehashed in this thread which might confuse people new to the brand here.

This new and separate thread is for Tesla's return to Singapore after 2014 because Elon name-dropped our country when asked about the future of Tesla. Unfortunately he has changed his mind for now and has said Korea will probably be next after HK and Japan, so Singapore is definitely delayed. I'm still waiting for reports on HK orders that are supposedly destined for Singapore though...

markwj, we are aware of it already. As you said, it happened a long time ago in 2011 and it was for the roadster which is still for sale here (2 unsold units). That was all over our local news and car circles and already covered in the earlier thread: Tesla Singapore Several things have changed from 2011 until now and there is now a zero-emission incentive (rebate) on cars so would appreciate it if the old facts are not rehashed in this thread which might confuse people new to the brand here.

This new and separate thread is for Tesla's return to Singapore after 2014 because Elon name-dropped our country when asked about the future of Tesla. Unfortunately he has changed his mind for now and has said Korea will probably be next after HK and Japan, so Singapore is definitely delayed. I'm still waiting for reports on HK orders that are supposedly destined for Singapore though...

Probably best that this thread be titled 'return to singapore' then. At the moment it just says 'Singapore', which is a pretty broad topic. Happy to move this and my earlier topic there and rename appropriately if it you want.

P.S. One of the roadsters has been purchased and shipped back to Hong Kong for registration here.

Can you clarify the incentive scheme for EVs in Singapore? Elecblue mentioned a modest break on the COE, and you mentioned a zero-emission rebate. Do you have any details on these, or other incentives? How is pricing of Tesla
Model S vs comparable BMW/Mercedes/Audi now?

Link: http://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=89ik82edclld4440jkx9761veiy5lgzhpgg3aq345d4p7ca5di

Tesla would be under band "A1" (emissions zero to hundred).

There is no pricing available for Model S in Singapore yet. The only way is to buy a HK or UK Model S, deregister, export, import, and re-register.

So, S$20k to S$40k, depending on what is being compared against. That is a good start.

It would be interesting to see the pricing comparison, as that should give a good idea of market potential. Assuming fair pricing, Hong Kong can be used as a basis (as that is tax free, fair pricing), but then add on taxes to get the car on the road.

My guess for Singapore pricing will be:

Open Market Value (OMV) = US price for Model S P85 (USD80K) ~ SGD100K
Additional Registration Fee (ARF) = 20K+42K+90K (multi-tiered scheme X OMV) = SGD152K
Excise Duty (20% X OMV) = SGD20K
Certificate of Entitlement (COE) (recent bidding price) ~ SGD80K
Singapore Carbon Emission-Based Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) = -SGD20K
Minimum On-the-Road price ~ SGD332K !!!

Hi,

Anyone knows whether the 2 initial roadsters are brought in by Tesla themselves when they tried to come into the market or by local companies who parallel imported the 2 cars?

Brought in by Tesla themselves. Then, when they pulled out of Singapore they were sold to the company that has them now. One came back to Hong Kong and is now on the roads here.

Brought in by Tesla themselves. Then, when they pulled out of Singapore they were sold to the company that has them now. One came back to Hong Kong and is now on the roads here.

Mark is correct. I brought in a roadster to Singapore via Australia using an importer. It was "secondhand" as it was the demo unit they were using in the showroom in Sydney.

I am working on registering the Model S right now. It is sitting in Singapore with my importer undergoing the prerequisite process with the Land Transport Authority.

Mark is correct. I brought in a roadster to Singapore via Australia using an importer. It was "secondhand" as it was the demo unit they were using in the showroom in Sydney.

I am working on registering the Model S right now. It is sitting in Singapore with my importer undergoing the prerequisite process with the Land Transport Authority.

How much did you spend in total, that is from purchase to shipping and registration plus COE?

I am keen to get one too.

regards,