Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on CF Spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MC Red loaner P85 now and it has the matte CF spoiler. IT. IS. GORGEOUS.

Do it!

I have the gloss CF spoiler on my S85 and I love it but the matte CF on the MC Red is a really nice combo.

All I can say is:

2013-tesla-model-s-p85-multi-coat-red-012.jpg

(borrowed from somewhere on this forum)

I hate the spoiler with a passion! Like Toddrlockwood said it interrupts ( I say it disturbs) the beautiful line of the rear . Plus how weird does it look to have a single element of CF on a car and nothing in this material?? It looks cheap. Thats how it looks. Plus this spoiler is useless. It doesn't help the cars driving dynamics in any way...
I am getting a P85+ in black with grey 21 " alloys which makes the car look very , very sporty but this spoiler? A no go. But tastes are different...

The spoiler on my MC Red P85 is absolutely gorgeous! I didn't think I would like it, and initially left it out of my order, but I'm so glad I got it after all! It was included with the P85 at the time I bought my car. If I had to pay an extra $1,500 for it, however, I would probably pass. It's not worth $1,500, maybe half that.

As far as performance is concerned, there is absolutely an advantage as confirmed by Jerome Guillen, VP of Ownership at Tesla:

Definitive answers to new spoiler questions (reply from Jerome Guillen) | Forums | Tesla Motors

Well carbon spoiler and carbon interior is more than one item in carbon. Would love to replace some of the black plasric with carbon and then kill the chrome with wrapping or black windows tinting to make it look like black chrome. Not seen the spoiler live. Pretty sure i will keep it on. Sad that its not just performance version. i think Tesla should do more to visually seperate the P+ from the other versions. Like more carbon etc.

Sad that its not just performance version.

??? spoiler requires P85 when ordering....

- - - Updated - - -

also, I came across this site the other day. they are the only people I know that makes a bunch of aftermarket stuff for the Model S, including a 'full length' spoiler. it's cheaper too ($1000 vs $1500).

https://www.tsportline.com/products/tesla-carbon-fiber-sport-package/carbon-trunk-wing/

t-sportline-tesla-model-s-carbon-fiber-trunk-wing-1-1024x682.jpg

The full length spoiler pictured above does not fit in with the car design. Tesla's spoiler is designed to line up properly with the ridges on either side of the trunk hatch. Here is a picture of my spoiler. Look at its left edge, then follow that line up and you will see that it is in line with the ridge to the left of the rear windshield. The same holds true for the right side. The Tsportline product breaks those lines and I would never put it on my car. I have a design background (worked as a graphic designer for 10 years) so I appreciate Tesla's attention to detail here.

IMG_2927.jpg

The full length spoiler pictured above does not fit in with the car design. Tesla's spoiler is designed to line up properly with the ridges on either side of the trunk hatch. Here is a picture of my spoiler. Look at its left edge, then follow that line up and you will see that it is in line with the ridge to the left of the rear windshield. The same holds true for the right side. The Tsportline product breaks those lines and I would never put it on my car. I have a design background (worked as a graphic designer for 10 years) so I appreciate Tesla's attention to detail here.

And this is why I'm a backend server/embedded software engineer rather than front end UI design :). Thanks for that explanation. I would never have considered that. I was always wondering why the stock spoiler seemed short. Now I know!

A couple of weeks ago, two friends from Canada were staying with me. I live in Arizona. One of the ladies, who admitted she is not a "car person" at all, could not stop staring at my car. She commented at least five times over a two day period (yes, I counted) about how there is something about my car that grabs her attention. She couldn't point to any single aspect of the car other than saying "there's something about the shape, I don't know". I share this because her appreciation of the car is the end result of the meticulous attention to detail by Tesla's designers. The size and positioning of the CF spoiler is just one example.

A couple of weeks ago, two friends from Canada were staying with me. I live in Arizona. One of the ladies, who admitted she is not a "car person" at all, could not stop staring at my car. She commented at least five times over a two day period (yes, I counted) about how there is something about my car that grabs her attention. She couldn't point to any single aspect of the car other than saying "there's something about the shape, I don't know". I share this because her appreciation of the car is the end result of the meticulous attention to detail by Tesla's designers. The size and positioning of the CF spoiler is just one example.

I felt the same way as your friend the first time I saw a Model S in the wild. I couldn't wait to see another one so I could see what it was. When I saw it was a Tesla I fell instantly in love. There really is something unique and special about this car. The designers hit just right. There's YouTube video of Elon Musk on David Letterman and the reaction from the audience when they roll it out is priceless. They literally gasped for air. That's gotta feel good if you are Franz von Holzhausen.