Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Registration Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the midst of finalizing a loan for a portion of my Model S, due for a Nov 16 delivery. I am being told it will cost $1,195.57 for title and registration, and another $5,735.52 for State Sales Tax. The tax number is what I expected (5.6%) but I was expecting a number for registration much closer to $125. I asked the credit union, and they agreed to re-check the registration costs.

Has anyone reading this recently registered a Model S in Arizona? If so, and if you don't mind sharing, what was the cost for title and registration of your vehicle?

Thank you!

I am in the midst of finalizing a loan for a portion of my Model S, due for a Nov 16 delivery. I am being told it will cost $1,195.57 for title and registration, and another $5,735.52 for State Sales Tax. The tax number is what I expected (5.6%) but I was expecting a number for registration much closer to $125. I asked the credit union, and they agreed to re-check the registration costs.

Has anyone reading this recently registered a Model S in Arizona? If so, and if you don't mind sharing, what was the cost for title and registration of your vehicle?

Thank you!

Title and registration should be ~$130 for 5 years (total) -- exact amount depends on the final MSRP of the car. AZ has a significantly reduced Vehicle License Tax for EVs -- sounds like your CU is using the regular VLT calc instead of the EV calc... AZ also allows EVs to be registered for up to 5 years, vs 2 years for regular cars...

Here's the link to the ADOT site with the info: Alternate Fuel Vehicle

Last edited:
BTW, as you likely know, but not many other AZ folks realize, this is quite the sizable incentive. Whereas other states might offer additional $2500 rebate on top of the $7500 federal rebate, over 5 years, the AZ benefit is actually bigger. An $80000 vehicle will cost more than an average of $1000 per year for the first 5 years (something like 1300, declining to 700 in year 5 - rough estimates). So, comparing $5000 to $125, its a big deal.

Don't forget - HOV lane access in AZ comes free with every AFV blue cloud plate at those incredibly low registration costs. Someone offered me $1,500 for my Prius hybrid plate (car was sold), if I would be willing to jump through some title hoops so that it could be transferred to another qualifying vehicle. I declined due to the potential liability, but I share this because the HOV access definitely adds value.

Don't forget - HOV lane access in AZ comes free with every AFV blue cloud plate at those incredibly low registration costs. Someone offered me $1,500 for my Prius hybrid plate (car was sold), if I would be willing to jump through some title hoops so that it could be transferred to another qualifying vehicle. I declined due to the potential liability, but I share this because the HOV access definitely adds value.

Yes, another nice perk. Does upset me that I can't drive my Volt in the HOV but those old Prii can.

Thank you!

Just to say thank you !!! Motor Vehicle Services of Arizona,2805 W Carefree Highway, Suite 113, Phx was excellent!!!!!!!The lady was knowledgeable, patient and very helpful. And oh yes , I got my blue tag.

I got the alternative fuel vehicle plates for my car today. It was a serious hassle over a period of two days, involving calls to Tesla in AZ, trips to emissions control stations, more calls to various AZ gov't agencies... yuck :-(

In the end it required a conference call with the Credit Union, the motor vehicle people, and Tesla in California to get it resolved. Tesla had to create a document, FAX it to MVD, and MVD agree that they got it and it was acceptable as a "alternative fuel vehicle certification" after which they immediately processed the paperwork and issued the registration, license plate, etc.

I am told that Motor Vehicle Policy 11.2.2 clearly states that the MCO that comes with the vehicle is sufficient to establish that a car is an alternative fuel vehicle (in this case, electric). But at least some MVD people and/or offices seem to not have access to this policy document, or refuse to read it, or refuse to (or can't?) read the MCO.

Vanity plate is now ordered, let's see how long it takes to get printed and mailed :)

I am told that Motor Vehicle Policy 11.2.2 clearly states that the MCO that comes with the vehicle is sufficient to establish that a car is an alternative fuel vehicle (in this case, electric). But at least some MVD people and/or offices seem to not have access to this policy document, or refuse to read it, or refuse to (or can't?) read the MCO.

When I registered my car in Tucson, they made me get a certificate from one of their inspection stations. It was free and took an extra hour to drive there and back. All they did at the inspection station was look at the car's VIN and generate a piece of paper.

When I registered my car in Tucson, they made me get a certificate from one of their inspection stations. It was free and took an extra hour to drive there and back. All they did at the inspection station was look at the car's VIN and generate a piece of paper.

Yes, and I tried that the first day of the process. The inspection station people told me they can't do anything with new cars, only cars a certain number of years old, and didn't know anything about the certificate. Several emission technicians got involved in the conversation. This was at the Stocker Street inspection station near Pantano and 22nd.

Luck of the draw, I guess...

@kk79 & @araxara you two had a much more complicated process than I did. I presented the MVD person with my paperwork from Tesla and with a brief conference with someone in back I was registered. It seems ludicrous to send our cars to the emissions inspection station.

Yes, and I tried that the first day of the process. The inspection station people told me they can't do anything with new cars, only cars a certain number of years old, and didn't know anything about the certificate. Several emission technicians got involved in the conversation. This was at the Stocker Street inspection station near Pantano and 22nd.
This is just for future reference for any else in Tucson that may need some kind of certificate to register their Model S: I wasn't directed to an actual emission station. The inspection station that the DMV clerk sent me to was at 4040 E 29th St and the signage on the outside said Arizona Department of Environmental Quality:
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.jpg

Those are the correct figures, right from the DMV renewal website for my vehicle! I'm glad your was less! ..wish mine were, but I can live with $252.40 for five years!! for a loaded TMS85kWh!!

Mine was the same as ZBB's for 5 years last year. I guess the difference might be due to the loaded 85's higher cost. But since its now a year old, and the cost is baed on nominal value of car, id think it would be less...Still much lower than an ICE, but $100 is 2500 miles of driving!