Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-Road Ability of Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really excited about an all-electric SUV because of the available torque anywhere in the motors operating range. But I'm curious about this ute's off-road capabilities. Are there specs available for ground clearance, approach/exit/break-over angles?

... I know Tesla will prefer to use electronic traction control rather than locking differentials, but I hope they realize the superiority of a locking diff for the 4x4 truck. Advantage is the locking diff is already locked even before obstacle whereas elec. traction control tries to solve the problem after the wheel spin....

The elec. traction control Tesla uses is so instantaneous that it is not comparable to anything that has ever been on the market to date.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla states "Not for off road use". I think this car is for people who don't want to want to mount chains. AWD is not for serious off road use.
Kind of like the frunk 'organizer box' that "is not a cooler".
Note: Product is not water-proof and does not provide sealed insulation from temperature. Tesla does not recommend using the product as a cooler or as a secure container for items containing fluids.
I really feel like they missed the mark on this particular decision.
Shop Tesla Gear Front Trunk Organizer Box

Sorry for the somewhat detour, but I worry that they'll do what evmile says and miss the mark again.

If they're going to make the base X "not for offroading", then they should offer an option package that is for (at least light) offroading. Put another way -- I don't expect them to make a Hummer or Wrangler competitor, but an (appropriately optioned) X should be as offroad-capable as a Jeep Grand Cherokee IMO or they're giving away part of the market.

I hope the last post is correct. I am not looking for a car to do heavy off roading, but it should have enough clearance to not hit any and all bumps and rocks on Norwegian dirt roads.
If we buy it - still a bit undecided, partly because of this - it would be our only car, and getting to the cabin in the mountains, summer as well as winter (and in the spring, when all the snow is melting and the roads look more like little streams) is of course a major concern.

When the 4x4 truck comes out, I am buying it! I'm hopeful, if Tesla tests the truck under true offroad conditions, I trust they will come up with whatever design truly works in regards to traction and suspension. I just can't bear to use fossil fuels anymore.

I'm with you on this one. I want high volume tires! I don't actually want locking diffs. I want a motor per wheel and an electronic differential (software that controls wheel speed/spin). Tesla's traction control is truly nothing like traditional traction control. If they could apply this to each wheel independently you would have yourself something special.

If they're going to make the base X "not for offroading", then they should offer an option package that is for (at least light) offroading. Put another way -- I don't expect them to make a Hummer or Wrangler competitor, but an (appropriately optioned) X should be as offroad-capable as a Jeep Grand Cherokee IMO or they're giving away part of the market.

I think the Model X will be equally good 'off road' as a Jeep Grand Cherokee in that it won't actually do that well off road. But will do dirt/gravel roads with no problems, and could handle some flatter/smother fields.

I hope the last post is correct. I am not looking for a car to do heavy off roading, but it should have enough clearance to not hit any and all bumps and rocks on Norwegian dirt roads.
If we buy it - still a bit undecided, partly because of this - it would be our only car, and getting to the cabin in the mountains, summer as well as winter (and in the spring, when all the snow is melting and the roads look more like little streams) is of course a major concern.

it has been stated and shown at the reveal that their benchmark is the audi Q7 for all that is worth. so for land rover off-road ability in a lux package you can probably forget. as for going to your cabin summer as winter should not be a problem unless the roads are very narrow..... I had a discovery and have a Q7 and live in the mountains in Switzerland. the disco was a more shore off-roader and snow hound than the Q7 but the Q7 does that job just fine as well, as long as I do not try real off road however, on the road, both beaten and the not so beaten paths the Q7 does better or as well as the disco in all senses except for cargo hauling where the disco's shape is more favourable

Last edited:
I doubt that Model X will have serious off-road credentials, but you might be pleasantly surprised by the response time of electric drivetrain. May I suggest watching the following 18.5 minute video:

Mercedes SLS Electric Drive. Can Volts Ever Match Pistons? - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube
That's phenomenal. I thought the Model S was the pinnacle of electric performance, but that Mercedes SLS puts down some even more impressive numbers (well, as it should for a half-million $USD). I can't wait to see what the next few years has in store for the consumer as costs come down and technology improves.

If one has funds available, building a super sports car with electric motors is not really that difficult these days. Motors and batteries are available and only
finances are the limit to what one does with them..

mod note: ... not that there is much to discuss regarding 'off road ability of the Model X', but that IS the thread subject. I can rename the thread to something more generic and move it to a generic 'cars' spot, or we can stay on topic.

Posters call.

Elon was in UK yesterday opening London Store. He was asked about Model X off roading and he responded.

Definitely off-road capability on Model X. Should have excellent AWD capability with the front and rear motor. Almost magical. He also said that it will be 4WD only.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla states "Not for off road use". I think this car is for people who don't want to want to mount chains. AWD is not for serious off road use.

The original warranty docs for the Hummer H2 said "void if car driven off-road". So that's legal boilerplate, which can imagine Tesla would avoid (they seem to be ignoring any advice the average lawyer would give so far, which is good IMO).
With a flat bottom, no air intakes, low center of gravity, adjustable suspension, dual independent traction and quick torque vectoring I would expect it to be on par with a Grand Cherokee or better for off road. Other than the tires and maybe the extra weight, there's no reason it shouldn't be a very capable vehicle. I have driven off road in places people wouldn't imagine exist on this planet, and I never got stuck that it wasn't due to irregular bottom, low clearance or a bad traction system.
Only exception: an electric powertrain may get you a bit nervous if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Petrol is easier to carry around when going to the extreme wilderness. But that's not what I want my X for. I wouldn't dare to scratch its paint.

I'm more interested in the Model X's ability to get back ON the road. We have one reserved for my wife. She never "off roads" on purpose. She does however frequently do it accidentally. I'm hoping I wont have to come and pull her out quite as much. :smile:

I'm more interested in the Model X's ability to get back ON the road. We have one reserved for my wife. She never "off roads" on purpose. She does however frequently do it accidentally. I'm hoping I wont have to come and pull her out quite as much. :smile:

I've never driven a car with two motors before, but that has to be at least, if not more than twice a good right? ;)

Elon was in UK yesterday opening London Store. He was asked about Model X off roading and he responded.

Definitely off-road capability on Model X. Should have excellent AWD capability with the front and rear motor. Almost magical. He also said that it will be 4WD only.

Anyone else find it strange how Tesla hypes the dual motor's magical traction capabilities for the future Model X while at the same time downplaying the Model S' need for AWD at all? Could it be because the Model X is going to be designed for off road capability while the Model S is obviously supposed to stay on road? Or more likely trying to make everyone happy with what they have or will have?

Oh my. We had a saying in Colorado: Off-road vehicles only allow you to get stuck in more remote places. Tell her to be careful, Al!