Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 owner -- drove P85+ yesterday -- deposit placed -- MANY QUESTIONS :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone :)

Let me start off with a bit of context. As a kid, the only car I ever really wanted was a Porsche 911. 3 years ago, I fulfilled that dream. It is the best car I have ever owned -- tons of fun, ridiculously fast, handles like a dream, beautiful, and reliable. If you would have asked me a couple of weeks ago about buying an American car that was electric, I would have laughed at you. I've been a snob about cars for years, and told myself I would never sway from german cars because nothing else would quite measure up (italian cars are nice but owning a ferrari or lamborghini just isn't me)

Now, I have been following Tesla for the last 2 yrs with interest. Not as a car I would particularly care to own myself, but more as a company that's trying to create a sea-change in the auto industry, and as a guy who has worked at startups for the last 13 yrs (and helped sell a few), I love what Tesla is aiming for and the success they've had to date.

A couple of weeks ago, I started reading a bit more about the car online. Especially this forum. And I was intrigued by how many people said that the Model S was the best car they've ever owned/driven. I was a bit surprised that these comments were coming from folks who were Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes owners. I started to read about the P85+ and was blown away by the reviews. So, last week I made an appointment for a drive, and yesterday at 11am I finally drove the P85+.

Reaction: WOW.

I put a deposit down about 45 mins later. It is unlike anything I've ever driven. I did my drive at the Burlingame CA store, flew through what I thought I might want color and options-wise, and said I'll give myself 2 weeks to fine tune the build. Right after, I went to the Palo Alto CA store so I could see some actual cars in various combinations to help me decide exactly what I want. To be honest, I AM STILL VERY CONFUSED! I did take another P85+ out for drive at the second store or some twisty roads and it just absolutely confirmed what a beast the car is.

So, here is what my initial order is:
P85+
Grey with grey wheels, black standard leather seats (non performance), obeche matte
Tech package, Smart air, sound package, panorama roof, parking sensors, fog lamps, carbon fiber spoiler.

Some thoughts/concerns:

- I love the grey with grey wheels. But my Porsche is seal grey, which is a bit lighter, and I've been living with it for 3 yrs and am worried that I might get tired of living with it on the Tesla. Also love the blue/grey wheels. Intrigued by MC Red, Diamond white, and Brown but not sure if I can live with them long term.

- I think I'm pretty set on the options. Anything I'm missing that you all recommend? I was talked out of the twin chargers.

- I still have to figure out how I'm going to charge my car :) My highrise in SF doesn't seem to have outlets, but I will try to work with them to get one installed near my parking spot. We are looking for a home in the next couple of months so that problem will be eventually solved. This car will probably get used about 20 miles per week, so hopefully its OK not to leave it plugged in all the time for the first few mos.

- Having some trouble deciding between tan and black leather. I like the contrast of the tan but am worried about getting it dirty.

- All the performance seats worth the extra $$? I care less about the look, and more about the grip and staying planted in my seat.

- Both testers I drove had a bit of creaking from the dash area. This normal? Seemed liked it might be coming from the vents.

Well, that's it for now. I'm tired of typing. Going to try to hit the Fremont store today so I can see some different combinations and make my decision on a color. So hard :)

Having a 911 turbo myself previously. You'll love this car. I think the grey on grey is an awesome combination if you want to stealth look without the maintenance of the black car. Performance seat is really up to you. It does not provide additional lateral grip, but the red piping around the seat makes the interior more sporty. Sometimes you can find a loaner being built with the same config or similar config so you don't have to wait. Thats what I did and its great!

Congrats & welcome to the forum! I'll let all the current Model S owners weigh in on what they think are the best options, but it sounds like you've hit what I care about and have loaded up on the performance options.

Regarding color and some of the other options ... to their surprise, many members here have found that their partner has commandeered their Model S & ended up ordering another Model S. You'll probably get a second chance to choose options in six months or so. :)

Congrats! I came out of a string of three 911's (997, 991S, 991-4S) and came to the same conclusion after the test drive and ordered before I left the store. You will love the car--the P+ is nothing short of amazing. It's like driving (better) a 911 with 4 doors.

Enjoy it and the wait begins. Read through the forum as many of your questions will be answered over the coming weeks.

No sqeaking in my dash.

I'd go with black interior.

I wouldn't both with 'performance seats' - they are not like Porsche seats by any means--not worth upgrade.

Your options look good--may want to rethink 'upgrade sound' as it's not worth it IMHO--standard and upgrade aren't great.

I my opinion 911 turbo is a different league than Tesla. I have driven 911 turbo as a daily driver for more than 3 years ( owned many 911s before that) and bought a Scuderia and a Tesla. I drive Tesla as my daily car now. Biggest worry about Tesla is charging and range. It is constantly in my mind. Do I miss my 911? Very much. Do I rate 911 turbo better than Scuderia as a daily car?. Certainly yes. If you daily drive is 20 miles only and you bought a P85+?. You dumped lot of money for nothing. Just my 2 cent.

Congrats! I came out of a string of three 911's (997, 991S, 991-4S) and came to the same conclusion after the test drive and ordered before I left the store. You will love the car--the P+ is nothing short of amazing. It's like driving (better) a 911 with 4 doors.

Enjoy it and the wait begins. Read through the forum as many of your questions will be answered over the coming weeks.

No sqeaking in my dash.

I'd go with black interior.

I wouldn't both with 'performance seats' - they are not like Porsche seats by any means--not worth upgrade.

Your options look good--may want to rethink 'upgrade sound' as it's not worth it IMHO--standard and upgrade aren't great.

Thanks Tex. I'm the 911 guy from the 'GRRRRR' thread :) Looks like your reviews helped get me here.

I will think about the sound upgrade -- just don't want to regret it. Need to listen to both back-to-back.

I my opinion 911 turbo is a different league than Tesla. I have driven 911 turbo as a daily driver for more than 3 years ( owned many 911s before that) and bought a Scuderia and a Tesla. I drive Tesla as my daily car now. Biggest worry about Tesla is charging and range. It is constantly in my mind. Do I miss my 911? Very much. Do I rate 911 turbo better than Scuderia as a daily car?. Certainly yes. If you daily drive is 20 miles only and you bought a P85+?. You dumped lot of money for nothing. Just my 2 cent.
@ speedyellow08

Didn’t you buy a 40 kWh that you just upgraded to a 60kWh? Not saying there’s anything wrong with that... But it’s probably not really comparable to a P85+ though…

I am upgrading from 40kW to 60kW in less than 4 months. Like the car very much so far. Hopefully it lives up to its expectations. Is there anybody out there who upgraded earlier than me?

[Source: Time to upgrade!! (...and see post #1. My edit.)]

Last edited:
- I love the grey with grey wheels. But my Porsche is seal grey, which is a bit lighter, and I've been living with it for 3 yrs and am worried that I might get tired of living with it on the Tesla. Also love the blue/grey wheels. Intrigued by MC Red, Diamond white, and Brown but not sure if I can live with them long term.

White with grey wheels looks absolutely spectacular IMHO. It's the config I would have taken had I not got the Sig Red.

- I think I'm pretty set on the options. Anything I'm missing that you all recommend? I was talked out of the twin chargers.

You're in California so Superchargers are "everywhere". Probably okay.

- I still have to figure out how I'm going to charge my car :) My highrise in SF doesn't seem to have outlets, but I will try to work with them to get one installed near my parking spot. We are looking for a home in the next couple of months so that problem will be eventually solved. This car will probably get used about 20 miles per week, so hopefully its OK not to leave it plugged in all the time for the first few mos.

Yes it is okay to leave it unplugged for days at a time. Just don't let it go flat. If you do have a plug, always leave it plugged in overnight.

- Having some trouble deciding between tan and black leather. I like the contrast of the tan but am worried about getting it dirty.

Yeah, that's why I went with black.

- All the performance seats worth the extra $$? I care less about the look, and more about the grip and staying planted in my seat.

Hard to say. If you're just driving on some twisties from time to time then it probably doesn't matter. If you're going to try it at the track, I pull the seat way back, tug on the seatbelt to lock it, then move the seat forwards until my eyes are about to pop. That locks you in pretty good. (I have "Load" and "Track" configurations in my menu for this purpose.)

- Both testers I drove had a bit of creaking from the dash area. This normal? Seemed liked it might be coming from the vents.

I've not had that on my car.

Greetings from a household that has had at least one 911 in the garage for the last 30 years. At one point in time we had 3 in the garage, two for street use and one for the track. We are down to just the track car now.

I'm concerned about the fact that you have been talked out of the twin chargers. We are in the Pacific Northwest and higher powered charging stations are being put in by organized groups, cities and businesses at a surprising rate. Most of them are at recreational destinations, smaller cities on major routes and on scenic routes. I just got word that someone is planning on putting in high powered charging stations at a couple of the entrances to Yellowstone National Park.

We quickly got to the point that we will not bother with stopping at a charging station unless it is over 50 Amps. We have been spoiled by the fast charging that the twin chargers provide. I know of several people that had remorse when ordering just a single charger. Retrofitting is more expensive. I believe that twin chargers will help your resale value in the future too.

If you think that you will not be road tripping and finding a need for charging away from Superchargers or home, you might consider this: You may find yourself doing more Sunday drives, joy riding and taking the road less travelled once you get a Model S. We did.

Last edited:
Awesome config, almost identical to mine except for the +. I went with the black interior for the same reason: dirt-- I have kids. The only drawback, the wait. Now, I regret not getting the + since it seems like an eternity at this point. Congrats!

As I have said before, Porsche owners fall hardest.

... My highrise in SF doesn't seem to have outlets, but I will try to work with them to get one installed near my parking spot.... This car will probably get used about 20 miles per week, ...

There are CA laws that back your desire to put in a charge place at your building (in case they say no).

Your 20 miles per week estimate is way low! In your first few months of ownership you will be asked for and willingly want to give rides! Not till you give everyone you know and their friends and their friends friends, rides or drives in you new Model S will you get down to 20 miles per week. You may also find that "going for a drive" is something you are more likely to do. Figure an addition 20 there too. (mine was 40% in the first two years (Roadster))

20 miles per week, and living in CA? Beter not just take the bike? ;-)

I got my P85 8 months ago. Like most of you guys, I have lots of seat time in exotics. I had a 360 CS previously and currently own a Ford GT and a Carrera GT. The Tesla has the mind numbing acceleration of a supercar with the comfort of a luxury sedan. Car is a wonderful daily driver. I have no range anxiety since work is 30-40 miles round trip. I live in Fort Worth and a day trip to Dallas...no problem. I can confidently go to Houston, Austin, or San Antonio with the SC stations in Texas.

As for getting the P85"plus" version...is there a signif difference in performance vs a regular P85? I haven't driven a plus and it was not available when I ordered last fall. One perceived disadvantage is asymmetric tires. The rears are going to wear out first with any aggressive driving. I rotate the symmetric tires on mine every 3k miles and they seem to be wearing evenly.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

I should have clarified one thing: My 911 was a car that I bought a few yrs ago as a present to myself, for a decade of hard work slogging away at start ups and finally getting one of the companies sold to Google in 2010. It was always a weekend car. I absolutely don't need it and it's not financially rational, but rather emotionally rational. The P85+ will *replace* that car. I certainly don't have a commute and don't need an EV, but I want it and I've continued to been lucky to have success since 2010. Also, we are expecting our first child in March and so it's nice to have another (safe) car aside from our Q5 that a carseat could fit in :)

Ahh, might want to get the jumpseats for the little one then. P85+ will truly be the safest car currently on the market after the jumpseat upgrade (I recall a crash revealing the jumpseat upgrade comes with a reinforced rear bumper).

Regarding sound system, many good things have been said about the Reus aftermarket system. You could get the standard sound then upgrade with Reus.

I like the performance seats, but the standard are good too.

Regarding color combinations; there are many threads showing off the colors and the design studio is good enough. Maybe let your partner choose the color?

20 miles per week? You could leave off a charger altogether and just have lunch near a public charger weekly. Make it a lovely weekly event. :smile:

What is your daily commute and what battery pack do you have? Someone in this thread reported you had a 40 pack and were considering upgrading to a 60. Assuming you still have a 40 pack, that is an entirely different ballgame from a P85+ on every level, including range. Wondering why you would have range anxiety?

Still, people are funny with range anxiety beyond rationality sometimes. I have a colleague who's had an 85 for four months, and doesn't seem to get just how far can go when fully charged. He was a bit nervous a couple weeks ago when he had to do an airport run to SFO....He lives 25 miles from SFO. He had about 180 rated miles to start and was worried. I reassured him that he'd have around 100 rated miles when he returned home even if he drove at 80 mph. He ended up having well over 100 rated miles and was reassured -- again, and again said he felt silly for even wondering. There are folks who just will worry even if there is no rational reason to.

Congratulations on your order.

A standard 120 V outlet should be fine for 20-40 miles per day. I would go with that at your current residence, and install 240 v charging at your new home. Consider the HPWC, so that you can keep the UMC in the car for mobile use.

GSP

If you daily drive is 20 miles only and you bought a P85+?. You dumped lot of money for nothing. Just my 2 cent.

Could not disagree more. Who cares if you drive 5 miles or 50, getting a P+ is a perfect car. Aren't you coming out of a 40S? Why don't you have a P+

Thanks Tex. I'm the 911 guy from the 'GRRRRR' thread :) Looks like your reviews helped get me here.

I will think about the sound upgrade -- just don't want to regret it. Need to listen to both back-to-back.

You really will love it--and still be able to transport family when needed. I always forget I'm in a 4 door as the P+ suspension and handling is simply amazing.

You may find yourself doing more Sunday drives, joy riding and taking the road less travelled once you get a Model S. We did.

Most Tesla owners do--I certainly found myself doing that. How can you not want to go drive it more...

As I have said before, Porsche owners fall hardest.
)

Well said--and all too true!

Yes I upgraded to 60kW due to the fact my 40kW did not have a twin charger and my work place do not have charging facility. Due to my job which sometimes required multiple round trips in short span of time (each round trip is 60-70miles). I did not want to spend $$$$ on P85+ and use it to commute back and forth to work. BTW nothing wrong with the car.

@ speedyellow08

Didn’t you buy a 40 kWh that you just upgraded to a 60kWh? Not saying there’s anything wrong with that... But it’s probably not really comparable to a P85+ though…

- - - Updated - - -

40kW did not fit my life style so upgraded to 60kW. I understand P85+ has a better range but my opinion was he spend lot of money for 20 mile a week commute.

What is your daily commute and what battery pack do you have? Someone in this thread reported you had a 40 pack and were considering upgrading to a 60. Assuming you still have a 40 pack, that is an entirely different ballgame from a P85+ on every level, including range. Wondering why you would have range anxiety?

Still, people are funny with range anxiety beyond rationality sometimes. I have a colleague who's had an 85 for four months, and doesn't seem to get just how far can go when fully charged. He was a bit nervous a couple weeks ago when he had to do an airport run to SFO....He lives 25 miles from SFO. He had about 180 rated miles to start and was worried. I reassured him that he'd have around 100 rated miles when he returned home even if he drove at 80 mph. He ended up having well over 100 rated miles and was reassured -- again, and again said he felt silly for even wondering. There are folks who just will worry even if there is no rational reason to.