Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So you need a 220 volt outlet installed...here's what I found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you bought this car you probably have a few assets, e.g. nice house, cars etc. Unfortunately I've had contractors try to charge me more because of this apparent affluence. This was especially funny when they would quote a price on the phone and actually increase it when they saw the house! I’m cheap, I works hard for my money and I still care about costs. Posting this to share my experience with this project. I'm in the Vancouver WA area but I'm sure things are similar in other areas.

I called six different electrical contractors about installing outlets in my garage. Some were “one man” shops on Craig’s List and others were the big names you see around town. I asked for two bids from each contact. The first was a single 220 volt outlet installed just below the existing breaker box. This would require about a foot of metal electrical conduit, a 50 amp circuit breaker and a 50 amp outlet. The second was for an outlet on the opposite side of the garage, requiring about 80 ft of wiring and conduit. Drywall would need to be cut around the breaker box and none of the bids included repair. I’ve attached pics of the completed work (without drywall repair) to this posting.

After getting a few bids back I was amazed at the range in prices. $140 to $375 for a simple install below the existing breaker panel. $650 to $1172 for the bigger job. The Clark county inspector was especially helpful in explaining what is probably happening. A big contractor has big jobs and really doesn’t want/need a 220 volt install. He’ll do it but it will cost you. Small shops can and will use this and overcharge the uninformed.

My Clark County permit and inspection was $59.50 and provided by my electrician. The inspector was again a great help. He had seen numerous examples of gouging in this area. Some firms will charge you as much as $150 for the permit. They don’t have to do any work, take time to go anywhere as this is an online application followed up with phone calls to coordinate inspections. You can do this yourself but any competent electrician should do it as part of the job for no additional expense. Licensed electricians average about $85/hr depending on size of the company. I found that the bigger the outfit the more they charged.

Here are some general prices for parts. Nothing here exorbitantly expensive
220 volt wire runs $70 -$170 for 250 ft depending on the gage. This is about 30 to 70 cents/ ft
http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/c...=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

50 amp outlet ($8-$10 for outlet itself, additional $5 for the metal box) -
http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/c...=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

50 amp circuit breaker ($10-$15) - http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/c...=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL

Electrical conduit (metal, $2-$4 for 10 feet) -
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allied-T...ic-Tube-Conduit-101550/100400406#.UlnU8VCsiSo

- - - Updated - - -

The following are the final three estimates (cut and pasted).

Estimate 1
We propose the following
Install 50 amp NEMA 14-50 rec on 50 amp breaker @ 45 ft distance $738.00
Install outlet at location 40ft more (not sure what he meant by this) $245.00
Install 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 50 amp NEMA 14-50 under panel $165.00
Sheet rock may be cut and will need repair after work is done and to be done by others
Subtotal $1146.00
Tax $ 96.43
Total $1242.43

Estimate 2
We propose the following
Install 50 amp NEMA 14-50 rec on 50 amp breaker @ 45 ft distance $1065.00
Install outlet at location 40ft more included in price above
Install 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 50 amp NEMA 14-50 under panel $215.00

Sheet rock maybe cut and will need repair after work is done to be done by others
Subtotal $1280.00
Tax $107.52

Total $1387.52

Estimate 3
We propose the following
Install 50 amp NEMA 14-50 rec on 50 amp breaker @ 45 ft distance $600.00 includes Tax
Install outlet at location 40ft more included in price above
Install 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 50 amp NEMA 14-50 under panel $150.00 includes Tax
Sheet rock maybe cut and will need repair after work is done to be done by others

Total $750.00

If you local I’d be happy to share my contractor’s contact info. [email protected]
P1000606.JPG
P1000607.JPG
P1000608.JPG
P1000610.JPG
P1000611.JPG

Last edited:
Yes it is. I'm third owner. Picked her up with 35k miles. I'm at 145k now. Do you track your car? I'm not very good and an NSX is not the best for a beginner but I do love it.

I do love this GT sedan thing. The power on this reminds me of my old M5 (e39). My wife used to say acceleration felt like an airplane take off. We bought a P85 and it feels even better! Naturally aspirated NSX's need to be wound up to get any torque. I was contemplating a trip to the LovFab folks in Sacramento (get turbocharged) but now I'm actually considering selling this summer. Have to wait and see how it feels in the spring. How long have you had yours? Do you track her?

Yes it is. I'm third owner. Picked her up with 35k miles. I'm at 145k now. Do you track your car? I'm not very good and an NSX is not the best for a beginner but I do love it.

I do love this GT sedan thing. The power on this reminds me of my old M5 (e39). My wife used to say acceleration felt like an airplane take off. We bought a P85 and it feels even better! Naturally aspirated NSX's need to be wound up to get any torque. I was contemplating a trip to the LovFab folks in Sacramento (get turbocharged) but now I'm actually considering selling this summer. Have to wait and see how it feels in the spring. How long have you had yours? Do you track her?

I don't track mine. I have had this one for about 7 years now. It's my third NSX. I decide I don't use it enough, sell it, and then 6 months or a year later I am looking for another one!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly how many NSX owners are on this list? I've got one as well, 1991 Black, which I love.

I would guess there could be a dozen of us on here. The NSX was/is the most livable daily driver exotic out there and even though it does not hang with the latest and greatest, there is still a huge following and respect for the car among enthusiasts. I think the R8 is it's closest modern day equivalent although the all wheel drive does not quite "do it" for me, and the way the NSX tells you exactly what is going on where the rubber meets the road is exceptional. The 911 is another car I bet many Tesla owners have owned or do own also.

Exactly how many NSX owners are on this list? I've got one as well, 1991 Black, which I love.

I've got an '04 that I love as well. I remember back when the Bellevue store had just opened and I overheard one of the sales reps talking to a potential customer and he compared the Model S to the NSX in terms of the revolutionary aspect of the car.

That is my e-mail address at Quest. Didn't want to post his info for fear of looking like I'm promoting a particular business. I don't know when I have a message on this forum until I log in. Personal e-mail seemed more efficient for something like this.
FWIW, not good an idea to put your own email address in a forum ... spam bots will harvest it and you'll be inundated with junk mail. Just sayin'

- - - Updated - - -

Tell them it's a plug for a LEAF that you lease
And if the guy has any brains he'll know a 14-50 is not compatible with a Leaf.

I have an electrician doing a long run from the panel in my basement to the garage for my HPWC on a 100a breaker next week. He I a charging $900 for the job which was reasonable considering the amount of wire fishing he has to do. I'll post the job next week.

I have to also say - love the NSX. I have what I consider it's baby brother...an 01 S2000. I was thinking of trading in the S2000 on a Cayman S until I test drove the MS. Now we are waiting to see if we ever drive the S2000 once the MS is delivered!