Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arizona Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers IN Arizona:

Supercharger - Benson, AZ - on the 2016 Supercharger Map
Supercharger - Buckeye, AZ - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - Casa Grande, AZ - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - Cordes Junction, AZ - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - Flagstaff, AZ -UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Gila Bend, AZ - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - Globe, AZ - on the 2016 Supercharger Map
Supercharger - Holbrook, AZ - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Kayenta, AZ - on the 2016 Supercharger Map
Supercharger - Kingman, AZ - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Page, AZ - on the 2016 Supercharger Map
Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Tucson, AZ - on the 2016 Supercharger Map
Supercharger - Yuma, AZ - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ - UP & RUNNING!

Superchargers NEAR Arizona

Supercharger - Blanding, UT - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - El Centro, CA - UP & RUNNING
Supercharger - Indio, CA - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Cabazon, CA - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Needles, CA - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Farmington, NM - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Gallup, NM - UP & RUNNING!
Supercharger - Las Vegas, NV - UP & RUNNING!

Superchargers - Map with Addresses (online, in construction, and permitted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for starting this important thread. I live in Buckeye, AZ and have noticed no construction of any kind that would resemble a supercharging location. I've looked around the I-10 and Highway 85, no new ground is being broken. I've searched the Buckeye, AZ permit database and cannot find anything under the name of Tesla. One of the service technicians in the Phoenix/Scottsdale service center mentioned that he heard some talk of the supercharger being moved to Gilbert, AZ. However, that does not make any sense to me, as the purpose of the Buckeye supercharger would be to facilitate travel to and from Los Angeles. Gilbert would help in travel to Tucson, but there is no dot on the SC map consistent with a Gilbert location.

I admit that I was expecting the Buckeye SC to be in by the end of the year, but your estimates are probably correct. Winter 2013 tells me the end of 2013, however in Tesla time that would be March of 2014. The wait is frustrating.

Thank you for starting this important thread. I live in Buckeye, AZ and have noticed no construction of any kind that would resemble a supercharging location. I've looked around the I-10 and Highway 85, no new ground is being broken. I've searched the Buckeye, AZ permit database and cannot find anything under the name of Tesla. One of the service technicians in the Phoenix/Scottsdale service center mentioned that he heard some talk of the supercharger being moved to Gilbert, AZ. However, that does not make any sense to me, as the purpose of the Buckeye supercharger would be to facilitate travel to and from Los Angeles. Gilbert would help in travel to Tucson, but there is no dot on the SC map consistent with a Gilbert location.

I admit that I was expecting the Buckeye SC to be in by the end of the year, but your estimates are probably correct. Winter 2013 tells me the end of 2013, however in Tesla time that would be March of 2014. The wait is frustrating.
I, too, was under the impression that "Winter 2013" actually meant 2013. I really wish TM would estimate SCS installations in non-ambiguous language rather than TeslaSpeak, but it is what it is. On the flip side I'm grateful to have a company that's able to give away free interstate travel.

Glad to have your eyes in Buckeye to keep track of this location.

Last edited:
There really seems to be one missing in the plan and that one, IMHO, should be around Flagstaff. Not only would this allow trips to a skiing area but would also allow easier travel from/to and across the I-40

I could not agree more. Flagstaff would fill in a big gap in Arizona when you travel E-W on I-40. In addition, it would provide a perfect jumping off point to go to the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, and Monument Valley.

The SCS were meant to get people to high value destinations.
We need Yuma to get between Phoenix and San Diego.
We need Kingman to get between Phoenix and Las Vegas
We need Blythe to get between Phoenix and L.A. (with a little help from existing SCS).
We need Gila Bend to get between Tucson and Yuma.
We need Flagstaff to get between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon and between Kingman and points east.
I really like the idea of the SCS near Buckeye, but would prefer to give a higher priority to the others.
I doubt that the SCS that appears to be around Dateland is critical.

Assuming a SC in Blythe for those going from Phoenix to LA, wouldn't the next closest SC be in Hawthorne? If so, it would seem that a S60 would not be able to make this trip relying solely on the SC network. The leg from Blythe to Hawthorne is over 230 miles. It may not even be doable in an 85 depending on road and weather conditions. I have not yet done a road trip from Phoenix to LA - how would you guys charge?

Assuming a SC in Blythe for those going from Phoenix to LA, wouldn't the next closest SC be in Hawthorne? If so, it would seem that a S60 would not be able to make this trip relying solely on the SC network. The leg from Blythe to Hawthorne is over 230 miles. It may not even be doable in an 85 depending on road and weather conditions. I have not yet done a road trip from Phoenix to LA - how would you guys charge?
It's why I think Cabazon Outlet mall would be perfect. I'd be shocked if there wasn't one put there eventually.

In an 85, it is doable. Here are the results after crossing the divide twice. Silverthorne to my home in Pagosa Springs, CO today 10/15/13... 240 miles driven with 28 miles left, not counting the secret 17 miles below zero.

Silverthorne to Pagosa.JPG

It appears that a supercharger is due for installation around Indio about the same time as Blythe comes on line. Both the Phoenix-Blythe and Blythe-Indio legs of the trip are do-able in a 60.

It appears that a supercharger is due for installation around Indio about the same time as Blythe comes on line. Both the Phoenix-Blythe and Blythe-Indio legs of the trip are do-able in a 60.

Although Blythe to Scottsdale may be a risk in a 60 in the middle of the summer since there is also elevation gain.. That's where the Buckeye and Wickenburg dots would come in helpful...

Mark, are you basing that on Tesla's SC rollout map? Or do you have some other information indicating these sites are being worked?
John: I don't have any inside info - the TM map has the location and roll out timeframe.

- - - Updated - - -

Although Blythe to Scottsdale may be a risk in a 60 in the middle of the summer since there is also elevation gain.. That's where the Buckeye and Wickenburg dots would come in helpful...
Matt: You may recall that I'd suggested the 85 battery : )
You may also be interested in getting a supplemental power source - see attached - I keep one in my frunk for emergencies. Very useful and nice companionship.
image.jpg

Matt: You may recall that I'd suggested the 85 battery : )
You may also be interested in getting a supplemental power source - see attached - I keep one in my frunk for emergencies. Very useful and nice companionship.View attachment 33199

Funny... I don't recall seeing your little friend when you still had your Blue car ;-)

In reality, the larger battery really insn't needed. Once the SC gaps fill in I'll be fine for the trips we would expect to take. Even if they don't fill in and we need to take a trip, we can take my wife's car, or even rent something. An 85 would have cost $8k additional when buying the car (I did have Supercharging enabled on my 60...) -- so just wasn't worth it for me if I'd only use the range 1-2x per year...

Funny... I don't recall seeing your little friend when you still had your Blue car ;-)

In reality, the larger battery really insn't needed. Once the SC gaps fill in I'll be fine for the trips we would expect to take. Even if they don't fill in and we need to take a trip, we can take my wife's car, or even rent something. An 85 would have cost $8k additional when buying the car (I did have Supercharging enabled on my 60...) -- so just wasn't worth it for me if I'd only use the range 1-2x per year...

Exactly why I bought a 60. I couldn't justify the additional 8k just for making a couple of long trips per year a little easier.
Now if the 85 had added 100+ miles of range as opposed to 57....
And an SC in Indio would be terrific.

PHX-Blythe is possible in a 60 without too much inconvenience IMO. I'd plan any such trip to start early anyways. So I'd head west on I10 and stop and have breakfast at the furthest west J1772 (e.g. Palm valley marketplace, Litchfield Park). Since I'd only have used about 30 miles by then, it would take about an 90 min to top off. Breakfast could take about an hour, and then I'd have enough to make it to Blythe. Dinner on the way back, just enough to get home.

But realistically need Indio or Cabazon to make it to LA from Blythe. The Chademo adapter might help since there are Chademo stations in the Riverside/San Bernardino areas (170 miles from Blythe).