Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas for next gen Roadster.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I know we are all focused on upcoming Model S preview, and changes for the 2009 Roadster, but plans are underway for substantial Roadster changes in a few years.

I think we know that:

• It will get some kind of "gen 2" drivetrain with likely liquid cooled motor that can provide better sustained high power output.
  • Franz Von Holzhausen will flex his designer's muscles and provide something more novel with some sort of Tesla specific design sensibilities that tie into where Model S starts to take us.
Anyone got any wishlist ideas they want to throw out there?

• Easier to get in and out of it?
  • Adjustable steering column?
  • True convertible rather than removable top?
Thinking about the current Roadster, one thing I think they could play with would be the tail lights. Instead of the cluster of circles, which sort of mimics the circles typical of a incandescent in a reflector, they could make more linear shapes with LEDs. I was pondering how a Roadster would look with more BMW Z8 like tail lights.

2008_Tesla_Roadster.jpg

normal_racing-dynamics-bmw-z8.jpg

autobild_z8_2.jpg

(Retractable hardtop?)

Last edited:
Here is my wishlist:

1) 10-15 year battery life
2) Improved battery pack energy density and specific energy
3) Liquid cooled motor and PEM for sustained high power operation
4) 3 or 4 speed dual clutch transmission for better acceleration and top speed
5) lower cost base model w/ 150 mi range
6) 350 mi range extra cost option
7) SAE/DIN standardized charging connector that can be used at any public recharge point worldwide
8) optional high voltage DC fast charge connector for 3-phase external charger
9) V2G communications to allow utility to control charging (but no power to grid)
10) Mobile charge connector with 110v 15A, 220v 30A, 220v 50A, and 220v70A capability for $500 or less.
11) More power and torque for even faster acceleration
12) 2 DIN stereo/nav system

GSP

Personally, I think investing significant R&D dollars in a water cooling the entire drive train is an evolutionary dead end and I'd like to see that disappear. By the time the next generation Roadster comes out, both battery and IGBT efficiency should both be at a point where IR losses can be engineered around with air cooling - especially with a cap bank to minimize high C discharge on the battery. As for motor cooling, the only reason they suffer excess heat load is due to high current high torque acceleration not necessarily top end speed. I'd like to see it with an optional gear box for those who don't mind the efficiency hit and want to race it on a track and maybe re-engineering the motor to operate with higher thermal efficiency across a broader RPM range.

I'd like to see a more aerodynamic body which would significantly increase highway range but I'm pretty unconcerned about what it should look like. I'm quite certain Franz is up to the task when it comes to the looks and functionality.

Keep 'em coming. Great suggestions so far!

Although I am afraid of the weight penalty, a retractable hardtop would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my wishlist:

7) SAE/DIN standardized charging connector that can be used at any public recharge point worldwide

10) Mobile charge connector with 110v 15A, 220v 30A, 220v 50A, and 220v70A capability for $500 or less.

GSP

I'd like to see the IEC 60309 connector system used, as these already cater for voltages between domestic supplies and 750, with currents up to 200A.

Hookups can be found in a range of different places and they are familiar to every electrician. Other EVs here are already using them (e.g. the Smart and NICE range).

I second the idea that a simple mobile charging cable should suffice for much more than the 32A 240V single phase that is available today.

Last edited: