Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a lot of wind noise, even water gets in from the windows on my brand new MS, I just took delivery of this great car two weeks ago, the noise is getting worse by every mile. Had anyone had the same problem? I have called Tesla and they are sending someone to look at it.

I get a lot of wind noise, even water gets in from the windows on my brand new MS, I just took delivery of this great car two weeks ago, the noise is getting worse by every mile. Had anyone had the same problem? I have called Tesla and they are sending someone to look at it.

No noise, no water. Perfect car (minus nav issue which popped its head up).

Just take it in they will take care of it.

Enjoy the new car.

Do you have the Pano Roof? Some of the Pano's had issues with wind noise. I second the take it in, they will fix it. Tesla's got the best service in the world!

The wind noise was worse in the winter (not sure why) but I did just get a trickle of water through the side window at the car wash today. Originally I thought it was coming through the little triangle glass, but today noticed the water was coming in about an inch up the main side glass. It's on my service list when the car goes in next week.

There are many sources for wind noise issues on this car, so it's really dependent on your service center being able to diagnose it correctly. I had a significant wind noise issue from the front driver side door area that took 3 trips to the service center to finally fix. Initially they replaced all the panoramic roof seals to no avail. Then they were planning on replacing the front little triangle area seal but then decided that wouldn't help. They finally figured out it was something related to the door handle area not being sealed correctly & that fixed it.

They finally figured out it was something related to the door handle area not being sealed correctly & that fixed it.

Interesting. I had both the door handles replaced and wind noise at the A-pillar seen to at my last service visit. I now have wind noise that sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar area, but mostly when there is wind from the side of the car. I wonder if it is actually a door handle seal?

I have a little whistle at speed, but then I drove our BMW and realized the same noises are there, I just didn't notice them. The quiet of this car allows owners to hear sounds they had in other cars but didn't hear.

Interesting. I had both the door handles replaced and wind noise at the A-pillar seen to at my last service visit. I now have wind noise that sounds like it's coming from the B-pillar area, but mostly when there is wind from the side of the car. I wonder if it is actually a door handle seal?

I have the same issue (it sounds like it's just behind me on the left). If there is any cross wind, it sounds like my window is partly down (so much so, I usually reach for the window controls and make sure it's up all the way).

I have a service appointment next week, so hopefully they figure it out.

I also have a small amount of air coming in the little triangle window on the driver side. I did not notice it until is started getting a little cooler.

Something I have noticed is that if I start the heater remotely from iPhone app when I reach for the extended driver's door handle (in my windless garage) there is a breeze coming out of the handle. Curious if this is related to the wind noise I hear from behind the driver? Agree its much worse in a cross wind.

My appointment got bumped up to today.

They said the front left triangle window was incorrectly installed and they took it apart and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, it did not help with the wind noise. If anything it's a little worse now. I'm probably just more aware of it. (I drove home wight he stereo off, which I never do.)

My appointment got bumped up to today.

They said the front left triangle window was incorrectly installed and they took it apart and reinstalled it. Unfortunately, it did not help with the wind noise. If anything it's a little worse now. I'm probably just more aware of it. (I drove home wight he stereo off, which I never do.)

Did they do the other wind noise fixes, or just the small window? The small window adjustment fixed mine.

I have a little whistle at speed, but then I drove our BMW and realized the same noises are there, I just didn't notice them. The quiet of this car allows owners to hear sounds they had in other cars but didn't hear.

This is a known issue. A lot of the wind and whistling noises are coming from the front pano roof appliqué. This is the black rectangular plastic piece that sits between the front of the pano roof and the top of the windshield. Factory fix involves installing brackets underneath to pull the appliqué downward, creating a better seal. I had a very faint whistle, like a far away tea kettle, that was fixed.

Did they do the other wind noise fixes, or just the small window? The small window adjustment fixed mine.

They just did the small triangle window. I still feel a small amount of cold air coming in there, but it does not seem like enough to account for the noise.

I have another appointment this weekend (to install my mysteriously missing trunk lights), so they are going to try again.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the b-pillar area. I can fairly clearly hear the tire noise of cars that pass as well, so something is not sealed correctly.

I've also noticed some buffeting (like the low pressure thump-thump you get in some cars if you roll down just the back windows on the freeway, but not as strong) at between 40-50MPH. It might be the cause or an effect of the main window noise seal leak.

I don't have a pano roof, so at least that source of noise is eliminated.

They just did the small triangle window. I still feel a small amount of cold air coming in there, but it does not seem like enough to account for the noise.

There are noise reduction fixes for both the A and B pillars if I recall correctly. The Service Centre here in DFW installed both without prompting.

I've also noticed some buffeting (like the low pressure thump-thump you get in some cars if you roll down just the back windows on the freeway, but not as strong) at between 40-50MPH. It might be the cause or an effect of the main window noise seal leak.

This happens with any car that is even remotely aerodynamic. It's the laminar air flow that is being broken repeatedly when you roll down the windows.

Yes, I've never experienced it with the windows rolled up before. I don't think it is normal for the Model S, but I could be wrong. I've only driven the test drive car and mine.

That's the hatch. (Sorry, I missed the windows closed bit). There are bumpers that you can adjust to put more pressure on the hatch and eliminate this noise.

I have the same issue (it sounds like it's just behind me on the left). If there is any cross wind, it sounds like my window is partly down (so much so, I usually reach for the window controls and make sure it's up all the way).

I have a service appointment next week, so hopefully they figure it out

I also have a small amount of air coming in the little triangle window on the driver side. I did not notice it until is started getting a little cooler.[/QUOTE

I have this same wind air noise since I took delivery exactly as you describe. Have yet to figure what is causing it and it is worse when cold outside and windy. Drives me crazy.