Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detail/Opti Coat in MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a plug for SeaJay's Detailing in Billerica, MA. I took my car to Jason Perrydore about a week and a half after taking delivery of my S85 and he did a fantastic job. The opti coat makes a huge difference...even after the rain we recently had, the car looks amazing. Here are some pics I took after I got it home....
Tesla2.JPG
Tesla3.JPG
Tesla1.JPG

Looks very nice. What's it cost? And can you put it on over the factory paint armor?

It was $800 for the entire car, glass and rims. However the prep time is a big part of the cost. I think the price may depend on how long you've had your car/the paint's current condition and perhaps even the color. Jason said that the Black and Blue Model S's are the softest paint colors and take a lot of time to prep correctly.

FWIW, I like this Opti product so much that I may take my SUV in to have it coated as well.

oh, and I think the armor would have to come off.

EKnight47, I noticed that you are in Milton! Where in Milton are you? I am in Canton, but am located very close to the west end of Milton near the Blue Hills. I am rather excited that there is a another Model S owner near me. :).

David -very cool! We are up near the Academy in the Milton Hill area. Folks at the service center told me that there is another blue one in Milton as well.. I saw a blue one with 19s parked at the Tedeschi's on Randolph ave the the other day and an exact clone of my car drove by our house a couple days later. Starting to pop up all over the place!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Parked at PO square today around lunch time. 2 Greens a Black and my blue.

Cool! My son is at Milton Academy, so I'll probably run into you some times!

And are those chargers I see in every parking slot in PO Square? No wonder so many Teslas congregate there!

Too funny...my son is also at MA so I'm sure I'll see you around! PO Square parking is the best for the Tesla (or any EV). There are 10 stations and they're right next to the lobby. Very convenient.

My guy is just a first grader...so I'm always over by the JB. One of my son's classmate's father has a Model S as well. I'll be on the lookout for you!

That's great! My son started out as a kindergartner in JB. ;). He had a blast in the Lower School! My daughter, now a college junior, was a Lower School graduate as well. Boy, that really ages me...

We should hold a Milton Academy plug-in day, with all the EVs at the school! :biggrin:

Going back to SeaJays Detailing, your MS looks fantastic! Does he travel? Or do I have to trek to his place in Billerica?

Love to hear about MA "Lifers". That's great! We hope our younger daughter gets to enjoy it as well.

Thank you! Jason does travel, but it costs more. He was strictly remote until he got his current space (in May I think?). I didn't explore this option. I ended up taking the Lowell commuter rail back back and forth to the N. Billerica stop. Jason was great about dropping me off there and picking me up.

Second strong vote for Jason / SeaJay's. He also did the body, glass, everything, for me. Came out great! On top of all that, he first had to peel off the Tesla factory-installed paint armor. I had thought I wanted the Tesla paint armor but realized too late that I wanted to Opti-Coat the paint itself. And then when I saw the Tesla paint armor, I didn't like its limited coverage area and particularly that only half the hood was covered. So, after Jason got done, I went elsewhere and got the car covered in Xpel back to the rear passenger doors. Jason did great work (and I think the Xpel guy appreciated it, too!)!

Second strong vote for Jason / SeaJay's. He also did the body, glass, everything, for me. Came out great! On top of all that, he first had to peel off the Tesla factory-installed paint armor. I had thought I wanted the Tesla paint armor but realized too late that I wanted to Opti-Coat the paint itself. And then when I saw the Tesla paint armor, I didn't like its limited coverage area and particularly that only half the hood was covered. So, after Jason got done, I went elsewhere and got the car covered in Xpel back to the rear passenger doors. Jason did great work (and I think the Xpel guy appreciated it, too!)!

Pollux - talk to me about the Xpel....what benefit does it add? Where did you get it done/how much? Think it was worth it?

I was at Watertown this week and spoke with Leah who does the detailing there - even just one of her washes leaves my car looking great. I asked her about Opticoat and she highly recommends it to protect Tesla's "soft" water-based paint. She recommends Rick at Unique Car Care in Stoneham, and said she's sent several Tesla owners there with good results. He installs paint armor as well - not sure which brands. Anyone have experience with him? I'm thinking of giving him a call. 781-389-3913.

Pollux - talk to me about the Xpel....what benefit does it add? Where did you get it done/how much? Think it was worth it?

Hi, @EKnight47! Got the Xpel done at Wheel DynamiX, in Natick. Cost me something like $3K to cover the car from the front bumper all the way back to and including the rear passenger doors. Also the wheel wells, and wrapping the edges of the doors. But not the rear of the car and the roof.

As I listen to the pebbles and other crap thrown up from the lousy Massachusetts roads onto my car, I am VERY glad that I have the Xpel. Protects against small dings, scrapes, bird poop. Cleans up easy. Can't prevent DEEP damage, but at that point you are basically having an accident -- fender bender or worse. I originally had the Tesla factory-applied paint protection film (aka Paint Armor), but had it stripped off because (as I mentioned before) I wanted to get Opti Coat applied to the paint. But before stripping it off, I noticed that I really didn't like the Tesla coverage -- e.g., only covering the front half (or third?) of the hood. The line is visible across the hood, and unattractive. Moreover, Jason @ SeaJay's found that the Paint Armor was bubbling in spots at the bottom of the front bumper. After Jeff @ Wheel DynamiX applied the Xpel, when I took the car by the Watertown Service Center a month later the service guy at first didn't believe I had ANY paint protection film on. He had to come over and trace the edges of the body panels to see that the film was really there. So besides how good Jason's job looked to me, I have another data point to back that up. :)

I *have* heard of other Xpel appliers and lower prices than Wheel DynamiX, so you may want to shop around. But keep in mind that it's not really the cost of the film as much as it is the skill of the applier. So I've wound up thinking that Wheel DynamiX is expensive-but-worth-it.

I was at Watertown this week and spoke with Leah who does the detailing there - even just one of her washes leaves my car looking great. I asked her about Opticoat and she highly recommends it to protect Tesla's "soft" water-based paint. She recommends Rick at Unique Car Care in Stoneham, and said she's sent several Tesla owners there with good results. He installs paint armor as well - not sure which brands. Anyone have experience with him? I'm thinking of giving him a call. 781-389-3913.

I went with Rick for Opticoat as well as wrap of the front. All I can say is I am VERY happy with his work. Can't see the film as he wraps it rather than using the precut kits. I'm sure others do a good job too but I was very pleased.